The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread | Page 241 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Official Ongoing Kitchener-Waterloo and surrounding areas thread

There were a few new riders there today. Can we put some names to forum nicknames? Obviously I'm Dave. I was on the FZ09 leading the second half of the ride.

On the KTM RC8r, riding 2 Up... I'm Tim, copilot Jacqueline... led for a bunch of the way heading out.

Thanks for the lead back Dave.. been a LONG LONG time since I've been on those roads.

Great ride guys it was a nice length for me the short rides around town don't really do it for me. I was on the ktm 1190

sent from a device using a program

Kelly, on the VFR. Thanks for putting that together, Sebi. Great job by the leaders, I had a really good time. 4.5 hours definitely scratches my sunday ride itch.

Michelle on the red CBR. Great ride, thanks everyone!!

Was hoping to get the house painting done on time... didn't happen. Still planning on GB for monday

Group Ride

Time:
Meet up at 7 today, kickstands up 5 mins after, have gas!
Tim Hortons at University/Bridge Intersection
Pace:
Medium
Duration:
~1.5 hours; ride up to Conestoga Lake

Sorry for the short notice, also ride is only possible if someone knows the route. I've been on it before but I don't remeber it well enough to lead the group. If you know the route and are able to lead, say so below. Otherwise this ride will NOT be happening today!

Hope we find someone who knows the route and to see you guys out there! :icon_smile:

I will make it for a ride, unfortunately I have no clue what the Conestoga loop is

Also, I'm late for this. I'm Adam, and have been away from GTAM for a few years, so I probably haven't been on the roads with anyone here lately

I'll give it until 6:30 and if no one posts saying they know the route, I'll have to cancel. I have a rough idea of it but not good enough to be able to lead it.

Last edited:
alright, I'm coming in from Drumbo, I'll hit up the tim hortons before 7. If people are there, great, if not, some other time!

Sebi, I went back a few pages in this thread and it looks like you organize rides regularly. What you did tonight was completely unsafe, illegal and not to mention potentially deadly. If it were something as simple as maintaining a high rate of speed or riding in a manner I don't agree with personally, I wouldn't bother posting this. However, for you to knowingly pass the lead bike on their left side IN WINDING ROADS while approaching a LEFT BEND is just gross negligence. Did you at all consider that if I wasn't experienced that your move may have made me (or any other less experienced rider) panic; perhaps, fixating on you and risk riding straight into the farm field?

My attention was already divided up to watch for animals, birds, grass clippings, loose gravel, on coming traffic, my speed, my line of travel, my riding posture, but now I had to focus on what YOU were doing, what YOU were thinking, where YOU were, what I was going to do if YOU went down, where was the THIRD rider behind me? Was he passing me as well? We were entering a corner, I don't have time to check my mirrors and blind spots. I have to have faith in those I'm riding with to be safe and make smart decisions.

You 100% removed any focus I had on that corner and for what? Did you consider that we have never met before, and neither of know each other's riding style? What if my line was going to be different then you anticipated and I drifted to the inside? What if we made contact?

Did you consider that it wasn't only yourself that could have been injured, but ME. I have a mortgage, car payments, bills. I have two jobs that rely on me not having broken bones, or being bed ridden while I rehab, because I wasn't going fast enough for you.

I don't want an apology from you. I am at home, alive and uninjured. I am however, incredibly ****** off at you for how immature and careless you were.

Motorcycles are not a game. Among other friends and family being in accidents with cars, I have picked up a GSXR off my best friend in that exact ****ing corner after he ran off the road. I told you I knew the road, but what I didn't know is that you didn't care about the safety of those you offered to ride with tonight.

Now, I'm not saying you're a terrible person. I think i remember you saying you were starting school in the fall, and that's great. My suggestion is to continue on the path you are and do something with your life, but for everyone's sake, do not risk taking someone else's. Helmets aren't a failsafe, even the simplest of crashes can have lasting repercussions.

Next time you post a ride, remember you aren't the only one on the road, ride safe. ride smart. Allow yourself and others to get home with positives memories of why we ride. There's enough cars on the road we all have to watch out for, having to watch out for one of our own isn't cool.

/rant

2013-0816_pop-popcorn-003.jpg

Eeps! :p

Want to start off with a sincere apology to you, it was in no way my intention to make you feel unsafe during the ride. As for what happened today, we had already been through some twisties prior to those and it was clear that I had chosen to ride a faster pace than you; nothing wrong with that. What you didn't mention (and I felt you should have) was that we had taken that section once before at a very slow pace so that we could check for gravel and other road debris. I did this because I enjoy a fast pace through that section and I wanted to make sure it was safe. When we reached the end, and we did a U-turn to run through the section again, this time at a faster pace, it surprised me that you decided to take lead despite noticing my faster more spirited riding beforehand.

As for the actual pass, I visit that route very, very regularly. That's one of the reasons I ride it fast, I learned all the curves and straights. The area I passed you in I knew i had visibility from prior experiecne on that road. I passed you in a seperate lane. I'm not saying this to be a dick but I knew that I could make a pass safely knowing the road and my bike's speed and power. As for being distracted by me passing you, I've been passed by many bikes on group rides. Quite recently by a rider in a wheelie... :p Even before a turn I've been passed and didn't really throw me off; just something I got used to in sportier riding. I really am trying not to come off as a dick, but if you notice another rider keeping a faster pace, don't take lead! This is no excuse to make you feel unsafe and believe me, that was not my intention.

Again I apologize you felt unsafe and I'll definetly be more considerate next time, let's try to have better communication if the pace is too fast or too slow so I know whats up. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up, Sebastian

Last edited:
Surprised you have an issue with Sebi.
He's been nothing but a rider who wants to learn and increase his skill level on all the rides I (and several other riders) have led.

Maybe there was a mis-communication between you regarding pace, or something else, i don't know, as I wasn't there.
Unfortunately, there was a massive disconnect, and hopefully you can sort this out off forum.

Barky - next time you go for a group ride, please ask for a "riders meeting".
Sebi - next time you host a ride, please have a "riders meeting" so that everyone knows what to expect.

If someone doesn't offer to, or ask for "rules", it's accepted that everyone is comfortable - do this with friends and riders who are "sympatico" with previous experience only.

Personally, whenever leading a ride, I read the riot act - everyone ride their own pace, follow at a respectful distance, point out road debris with legs etc etc. Something to consider in the future.

As for being distracted by me passing you, I've been passed by many bikes on group rides. Quite recently by a rider in a wheelie... :p

The difference is that pass was made on a straight. Generally you don't pass in the curves on a group ride, no matter how well you know the rider. Maybe that's something that's been missing from pre-ride speeches, probably because those of us who've been riding for a long time take it as a given. I've never made a pass in the middle of a curve on the street. If there isn't going to be a safe place to pass then I hang back and leave space so I can catch up at my preferred pace.

The pass I made was on a straight prior to a turn. Using Barky's words, I passed "the lead bike on their left side in winding roads while approaching a left turn" I would never pass someone in a turn on the street. That is something that should only be done in a controlled environment like a track in my opinion. The room for error on the street is just to small to do it especially to a rider I had just met.

Back
Top Bottom