Сondo management @#$%& the brain with parking

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Сondo management @#$%& the brain with parking

Сondo management @#$%& the brain with parking

Hello guys,

I've got motorcycle but I've got some unexpected problems with it. The main problem is that we're renting a condo and I think this condo is too "good" for us (this is on Bayview and Sheppard). I mean it's too stiff with all these stupid rules here. The most interesting is how easily simple thing become so complicated in this condo (even not related to motorcycle).

The parking for bike is the most unbelievably complicated issue. Before buying a bike I asked our concierge about parking. "You have to find another spot to park"
    Well, ok. The parking is big and there is always somebody is renting out.

But then, when I got the bike they say: no parking at all.
    Well, guys - where the hell do you think I should leave my loved Kawi, without a plate, without insurance - on the street?

So, I parked it for the last week in the corner where nobody else can't parks anything except(!) for somebody's _moped_

I've got an insurance and the plate at the end of the week. The weekend passed quickly on the bike, but today I found a note on my bike: "Please remove your motorcycle from Common Elements". What does @#$% this "Common Elements" mean? Probably the management are big funs of Milla Jovovich and Bruce Willis...

Well, ok - I'm ready to remove. Although I have to find a place or agreed with somebody to swap places to park both bike and my car. Or rent another place maybe.

But I really wonder about this situation: this is a common life in Toronto's upscale condo? Fukc them up then if yes... but now I need an advice how to deal with this stupid management.

Should I talk to the agents and the landlord about this? I assume they just don't care

What would you do? Try to make agreement with management? Sell the bike? Move to another condo? Park on the street?

PS I'm going to take condo rules tomorrow to read what they say about parking...
    Last edited by The Last Boyscout; 06-09-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Re: Сondo management fukcs the brain with parking

Quote Originally Posted by roks View Post
    Hello guys,

The parking for bike is the most unbelievably complicated issue. Before buying a bike I asked our concierge about parking. "You have to find another spot to park"
    I know it's too late now but you shoulda got that in writing.

Condo rules suck...anyways...

I remember a bit a talk on this topic before, and some one had an interesting idea...get an old beat up cargo van, park that in your spot and your bike in that....

Where in the condo agreement does it exclude "motorcycle" in a parking spot? To me a motorcycle is a vehicle which should be allowed to occupy a parking spot.

Bayview & Sheppard, man that's Squaresville. Your condo is probably full of retirees that don't want any punks ridin' their murdersickles over the petunias.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by ninjanewbie View Post
    Condo rules suck...anyways...

I remember a bit a talk on this topic before, and some one had an interesting idea...get an old beat up cargo van, park that in your spot and your bike in that....
    Ha-ha, good point!
    I'll think about it...
    I might use it to persuade the management. Probably they won't be happy to see old, ugly van in their shiny upscale damn condo.

my condo management is the same. apparently there is something in the condo act (or generic condo rules that everyone's copied) that stipulates one vehicle per parking space. Obviously, whoever wrote that wasn't thinking about motorcycles.

My condo is cool about it, and lets motorcyclists park their bike in the same space as their car.

I suggest the original poster just park his motorcycle right in front of his car. don't park it anywhere else in the underground as it really is "common elements". I wouldn't leave it outside, either.

If the management board really has a problem with it, i'd suggest writing the board of directors (remember, management and security only enforce what the board of directors tell them to) and asking for permission.

I don't think they can outright ban motorcycles, unless it specifically says so in the condo rules. if they say they can, ask for the specific page and section where it says so.

barring all that, you're only choice is to rent out another parking space or leave the bike at a friend's house.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    Bayview & Sheppard, man that's Squaresville. Your condo is probably full of retirees that don't want any punks ridin' their murdersickles over the petunias.
    Yes, it is! There are some. But mostly middle age. Anyway they drive like crazy here themselves
    So I'm the person who is scared on a small bike... I mean they just stare ahead while driving their "soccer mom vans"

But the fact is that I saw a really scare dirty bike that was parked here (visitors, but nevertheless) They somehow lived with it couple of days
    Last edited by roks; 06-08-2009 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    my condo management is the same. apparently there is something in the condo act (or generic condo rules that everyone's copied) that stipulates one vehicle per parking space. Obviously, whoever wrote that wasn't thinking about motorcycles.

If the management board really has a problem with it, i'd suggest writing the board of directors (remember, management and security only enforce what the board of directors tell them to) and asking for permission.

I don't think they can outright ban motorcycles, unless it specifically says so in the condo rules. if they say they can, ask for the specific page and section where it says so.

barring all that, you're only choice is to rent out another parking space or leave the bike at a friend's house.
    Thanks, man! Good advises
    I'll look into this and try to figure out what they have in mind. Probably they just like rules so I need to find out what rules are.

Quote Originally Posted by mystifier View Post
    I know it's too late now but you shoulda got that in writing.
    From now on yes, of course.

If you pay for your spot and can fit your bike there too thay can't say anything you own that spot IMO.

today I found a note on my bike: "Please remove your motorcycle from Common Elements". What does fukc this "Common Elements" mean?
    Common elements are the parts of the condo property that are not deemed 'exclusive use'. Your apartment is for the exclusive use of the owner of the apartment. So are the parking spots. Lockers too probably.

If you parked in a little out of the way corner that isn't a designated parking spot, that area belongs to the condominium (meaning every condo owner owns a share of that spot) and you are taking it for your exclusive use. Bad form. Get a designated parking spot.

It seems you aren't allowed to share a spot with a car if the concierge is right, but many condos let that rule slide as long as you use the space respectfully.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    Common elements are the parts of the condo property that are not deemed 'exclusive use'. Your apartment is for the exclusive use of the owner of the apartment. So are the parking spots. Lockers too probably.

If you parked in a little out of the way corner that isn't a designated parking spot, that area belongs to the condominium (meaning every condo owner owns a share of that spot) and you are taking it for your exclusive use. Bad form. Get a designated parking spot.

It seems you aren't allowed to share a spot with a car if the concierge is right, but many condos let that rule slide as long as you use the space respectfully.
    They care about this no man's spot for some reason. For me it's too complicated why.

It could easily be an official parking spot for somebody's motorcycle (and in fact it's already is) since a guy is parking his car and moped beside this empty spot.

They care about this no man's spot for some reason. For me it's too complicated why.

It could easily be an official parking spot for somebody's motorcycle (and in fact it's already is) since a guy is parking his car and moped beside this empty spot.
    No it couldn't, not without rewriting the legal constitution of the condo.

If they want to make that spot an official parking spot they have to add the square footage to the total for the condo and assign an owner to the spot, then recalculate the percentage of the condo each unit owner has and change their fee structure to reflect that.

Everyone would own a tiny fraction less of the total condo (so pay lower fees) except the one owner who owns that new spot, who's property value and monthly fees would rise. Oh, and the legal costs would all be his $$$.
    There is no planet B.

Quote Originally Posted by ss750 View Post
    If you pay for your spot and can fit your bike there too thay can't say anything you own that spot IMO.
    I bet they tell something about it. I think something like "you motorised vehicle is violating our Common Elements by overhanging the bumper at the drive way". Anyway it's gonna be paing in the *** to park big sedan and the bike in one spot. There are some bigger spots. I've already asked my neighbours: no, no we are so used to it...
    For sure this is not a house of altruists who is willing to help a biker

I can try but management won't be happy for sure about parking in one spot.
    Last edited by roks; 06-08-2009 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastar1 View Post
    No it couldn't, not without rewriting the legal constitution of the condo.

If they want to make that spot an official parking spot they have to add the square footage to the total for the condo and assign an owner to the spot, then recalculate the percentage of the condo each unit owner has and change their fee structure to reflect that.

Everyone would own a tiny fraction less of the total condo (so pay lower fees) except the one owner who owns that new spot, who's property value and monthly fees would rise. Oh, and the legal costs would all be his $$$.
    Wow! This impressive.

Now I see what the agent meant by saying about all this rules and complicated rental agreement "don't wonder,you are in Canada now"

Ok, let's forget about this empty space since thing are so complicated.

I'm fortunate, my condo allows bikes to share spots with cars. Before I moved in I went and took a walk around down there looking for others. To answer your question though, no, not all nice condo's are picky like this. I live in a pretty nice place and it's all good.

Wow! This impressive.

Now I see what the agent meant by saying about all this rules and complicated rental agreement "don't wonder,you are in Canada now"

Ok, let's forget about this empty space since thing are so complicated.
    Smart move.

Just don't go asking for permission to park 2 vehicles in one spot because they probably HAVE TO say no. It's in the condo by-laws. Just park your bike with your car and see if they complain. Just don't give them any reason to dislike you ! LOL
    Last edited by fastar1; 06-08-2009 at 11:59 PM.
    There is no planet B.

That is why I convinced myself to purchase a townhouse instead of a condo apartment. The best decision in my life. No. 1.
    Beats buying a bike and breaking up with a girlfriend even.

Granted, some condo townhouses have strict rules too but almost never nowhere nearly as complicated and anal as condo apts.

Honestly, wait 'till your contract expires or break the term if repercussions are not too drastic and get out of uptown. You could rent a small bungalow somewhere a bit further for similar price and enjoy a piece of mind.

why not park behind your car in your own spot? just do it and see... better than parking in the common areas.