Went down - forks bent (among other things) - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Went down - forks bent (among other things)

Re: Went down - forks bent (among other things)

Looks like it's your forks that are bent. But make sure it's them! My bike went under a guard rail as well and the front tire was backed up touching the v fairing, front end completely destroyed. I thought it was the forks so I bought another pair, but it actually was a tweak on the frame.
    I got a manual off the internet and I rebuilt the bike with a new frame. Used parts and tools cost me just over $1000. I tell you, there's no better feeling than putting together a bike all by yourself. I just finished mine last week, it was amazing to see everything back in place after an accident that completely disfigured the bike. Ok, there are scratches here and there on the fairings, but I accomplished something, she's still beautiful to me

Not to bash Brian cause he always gives good advice, but I wouldn't use the Computrack guys. They charge around $600-700 to straighten a tweaked frame. They seem very knowledgeable hardcore race technicians but for that much money or even less, you can get a perfectly good salvage frame.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Does anyone have any idea how I could get the front wheel off the ground without a front stand? I've checked the forks and there's no oil leaks, but they definitely appear bent. I'm gonna try and loosen the triple tree clamps and see if there's anything I can adjust.

The frame sliders were attached to an engine mount bolt, which itself got bent. It's not the best mounting system but it helped somewhat. I can always replace the engine mount bolt with the original one too. I'll take off the fairings later today and report back with anything new findings.
    '09 Ninja 250R

Do the 250R's come with a centre stand? If so, just put it on the centre stand and have someone lean on the back to lift the front wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by WoBblyCaT View Post
    Do the 250R's come with a centre stand? If so, just put it on the centre stand and have someone lean on the back to lift the front wheel.
    Nope, I wish it was that easy
    '09 Ninja 250R

take the bodywork off and look for a spot that will allow you to pass a steel bar through from one side to the other.

Then you can use jack stands to hold the front end up

If the spot is high, you can put the jack stands on top of milk crates etc to get more height.

You could also ask around to see if someone will lend/rent you a steering stem stand, that'll make the job much easier.

I went down like that and wedged my bike under the guardrail before. The dealer will say it is a write off but the damage doesn't look that bad to me. Replacing all the plastics my cost $1500 and new forks and install maybe around $2000. Are the forks actually bent or are they twisted?

I replaced all the bodywork myself and then realized my forks where bent and it would cost more money so I decided to trade it in and get 600cc and insurance none the wiser so my premiums didn't go up.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

nice..........glad you are ok......

a month in. Another 250r bites the dust.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    a month in. Another 250r bites the dust.
    that's why they sell like hotcakes.. you have to go through 2 or 3 of them before you get the hang of it..

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    take the bodywork off and look for a spot that will allow you to pass a steel bar through from one side to the other.

Then you can use jack stands to hold the front end up

If the spot is high, you can put the jack stands on top of milk crates etc to get more height.

You could also ask around to see if someone will lend/rent you a steering stem stand, that'll make the job much easier.
    That's a good idea, thanks, I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by sempire View Post
    that's why they sell like hotcakes.. you have to go through 2 or 3 of them before you get the hang of it..
    Really? I should've stocked up on a couple of them then
    '09 Ninja 250R

you can try propping the bike up this way.

http://www.cr-x.org/cbr250/forum/top...TOPIC_ID=23117

I've used it to do fork seals. just be careful with the point choose to prop up.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

im sure a lot of ppl have crashed those 250's by now, check e-bay and such....and local wreckers.....see how much they want for the forks (if bent)

The platics, you can always buy off e-bay, but most of the plastics are there.....you can stich it with safety wire and epoxy to 'fix' it for now, later you can buy them.

If you need help, im more than glad to help you out mechanically...pm me.

hey dude

its G, glad you got the bike home and you're aight physically

call 109 Cycle, they are at Warden adn Danforth Rd.... Bill is a great guy he'll have a look at it, he's usually very quick and informative

416 699 9090

bikes are meant to have the piss beat out of them, it's part of the process bro, hope you're back on 2 wheels sooner than later

peace

Quote Originally Posted by dy9213 View Post

I've used it to do fork seals. just be careful with the point choose to prop up.
    Careful.

Atlest use a piece of wood under....you don't want all that stress on that crank case...the wood will spread the load better...

Thats to Ghetto/sketch for me i would get a cherry picker or put some eybolts or hooks in the ceiling / raffters and some straps/slings/tiedowns and lift it up by the frame.
    If your gonna do stupid stuff you better be tough

Thanks, I might give that a try, although I'm not sure if it will be possible to use that method on my bike. I did ride the bike after the incident to get it to a safer location. I couldn't get out of first (bent shifter) but it didn't feel like the front rim was bent or anything.

I've taken off the fairings for a better look at everything. There doesn't seem to be any frame damage from what I can see, just the bent fairing stay. The radiator is slightly dented on one side but it isn't leaking or anything. I would be inclined to think it would still function fine.

I've noticed it's much more difficult to compress the front shocks in comparison to when the bike was new (also compared it to a friend's brand new 250). I'm not sure if this is because the fork tube is bent or if it's indicative or something else. Again, there's no fork oil leaking out.

I've loosened the lower triple tree clamp but I'm not sure where to go from there. If anyone knows someone I can contact that could come by and take a look at the bike, I'd appreciate it. It'd be much easier than towing it to/from a shop that might give me a ridiculous quote. It's mainly the forks I'm concerned with, everything else I can deal with myself. If there's any motorcycle salvage yards or the like, that you guys can recommend, I'd appreciate that as well
    '09 Ninja 250R

Where's your sense of adventure? Buy a couple new forks, duct tape and some flat black rattle can.
    ride - if you want to

V4s growl, inlines whine.

If i were you i would look for prices on new fork tubes...that's probably the only thing bent. If your forks were pushed over more i would say you would also need a lower triple..but i think you'll get by with the old one unless the pinch bolts dont line up after you undo them. Labor will be under $200 for a fork rebuild.

I used the same car jack method but propped the bike up with 2x4's under the exhaust header. Was pretty stable. Dont leave the bike resting on the jack!

T
    Last edited by T~Bone; 05-08-2009 at 12:37 PM.

i suppose you could look on the bright side of things...in the gta with all the crashes, lots of spare parts floating around...just get the bike checked out, this kneedragger guy seems to be very well recommended, then go from there...he might find some other damagae you haven't seen yet...so you don't wanna go buying forks and what not, until you know everything you need to do.