James Bay on August long weekend - Page 2

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: James Bay on August long weekend

Re: James Bay on August long weekend

Quote Originally Posted by zrx1200 View Post
    I'm more of a sollo rider, due to the mileages I run covering anywhere from 700-1400kms in one sitting on a Saturday coffee run.
    That kind of territory can only be covered solo or in a small group of riders with similar riding style, not to mention butt resistance and bladder capacity .

I usally don't have a plan as I need to get above TO (which is what 2-3 hours up the BACK ROADS) to get to. I'm from Ingersoll. Once there the ride begins for me.
    I feel your pain, It's a long ride for Ingersoll to any fun roads. On the other hand, it probably takes me the same amount of time to get out of the city.

I like 4-6 guys max, who can do the miles without complaining whether it be rain, snowing or what ever you run into.
    That is what I consider the ideal number too. The bigger the group the less riding there can be. I'm not a fair weather rider either, but I have my limits unless i really have to get there.

I've follow many of your threads and it appears you like photography somewhat as well. Hard to stop sometimes to take that award winning photo when in a pack eh.
    That's why I'd like to keep this group small. Ideally 3, but 2-4 is OK. I'll do my best to plan stops and sightseeing realistically. Based on my experience 800km a day should be realistic with enough time to stop, rest, eat and soak up the scenery. The photo ops will be more frequent in the area north of North bay, so I'll plan accordingly. Since well be riding the same road twice I'll try and plan different stops for the return trip. We'll also have a whole day to relax in Radisson and area. This is will not be an iron butt ride, but it will require certain level of endurance and discipline.

I'm hoping this will work out for me as I'll be loosing my job June and my wife may not like me riding when I should be finding a job. SOmeone needs to get there priorities straight!
    Sorry to hear about your job, may you find a better one right away. Let us know if your situation allows you to join. Cheers!
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Hey Vlad, it's still a little early for me to know exactly when I can get the time off work, but that weekend is when I'm shooting for.

I'm likely going to do it solo with a weird time schedule (leaving Thurs night, multi stops to fish, most likely camping instead of motels). If I do go up on that weekend I'm in for the dam tour.

They do tours on Sundays?
    Last edited by Dilligaf0220; 03-29-2008 at 11:28 AM.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    They do tours on Sundays?
    Excellent question, I haven't thought of that, thanks! I suppose they do, but I'll check with them directly. I have to book it anyway.

If you catch more than you can eat save some for us. We can even work out a sign system that will show us where other riders have stopped. It wouldn't surprise me if we bump into each other like we did on Manitoulin ride .
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

I'm in but one problem don't thing i would make the strech with no gas how far is the one strech with no gas station....I can go 6 hours straight on my R1 but worried about the gas... last year we did a ride to NorthBay and back and going to Miami next week plan on doing over 5000k can only get 400km to a tank if I'm good

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Excellent question, I haven't thought of that, thanks! I suppose they do, but I'll check with them directly. I have to book it anyway.

If you catch more than you can eat save some for us. We can even work out a sign system that will show us where other riders have stopped. It wouldn't surprise me if we bump into each other like we did on Manitoulin ride .

Quote Originally Posted by R1 TimmaY View Post
    I'm in but one problem don't thing i would make the strech with no gas how far is the one strech with no gas station....I can go 6 hours straight on my R1 but worried about the gas... last year we did a ride to NorthBay and back and going to Miami next week plan on doing over 5000k can only get 400km to a tank if I'm good
    you'll be carrying a jerry can.

Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Umm where on my back

Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    you'll be carrying a jerry can.

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

this falls in my vacation time /shutdown at work sounds like a good boot.
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

Quote Originally Posted by lil red bird View Post
    this falls in my vacation time /shutdown at work sounds like a good boot.
    Hey fellow how are you doing! Would be good to ride with ya again. No ice cream parlours up there I don't think.

Umm where on my back
    Tim you need some luggage racks. I checked Givi and they don't have the mounting system for you bike but I have a lead on someone who can help if you're interested. PM me and I'll send you the info.
    Lee

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

Hey fellow how are you doing! Would be good to ride with ya again. No ice cream parlours up there I don't think.
    LOL you just have to look for them I will be putting up a run when the roads up here are what i would call ridable.
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.

Quote Originally Posted by leedufour View Post
    Tim you need some luggage racks
    WoBbLyCaT just bungied and cargo netted all his luggage, including a jerrycan, to his bike with passenger foot pegs and rails as anchor and tie down points. Having said that, Givi racks and luggage cases makes everything convenient and conveniently waterproof.

WoBbLyCaT's bike is the CBR, n.b. no luggage racks:

A non-slip rubber mat would be good to use between the jerry-can and the bike to prevent, say, the paint being scuffed off a Givi WingRack II :S
    Last edited by J'suis là; 03-29-2008 at 07:52 PM.
    "I don't consider my North barren, but there are parts of the Arctic where the beauty and fecundity is, shall we say, more subtle. But subtle minds can see great beauty in this.

For the not-so-subtle minds, there's always Disney World." Jerry Kobalenko

What JSL said. Luggage rack would be nice, but not necessary.

The jerry can is inside the yellow bag. As for my clothes, etc., I packed it in a canoe dry bag. My camera -- well that's another story, lol! If you read the links from Vlad you'll know what I'm talking about!

I also got some clear vinyl tablecloth material and taped it to my fairings to prevent scuffing from the cargo net. The tape is behind the fairings so you can't see it.

To those going on this trip, I suggest dialling your suspension down to soft when you embark on the James Bay road itself. There are frost heaves every 1/2 km or so and by the time we got to our motel in Radisson, my back was aching from all the impacts.

Quote Originally Posted by J'suis à View Post
    Hmm, I forgot about that cap! I got it at the gas station cafeteria on the James Bay Road. This pic was taken at the Rupert River on the way back.

I'm in but one problem don't thing i would make the strech with no gas how far is the one strech with no gas station....I can go 6 hours straight on my R1 but worried about the gas...
    No worries. The longest service-free stretch on this route is "just" 381km, so you'll be more than fine if you can do 400. I encourage everyone interested to test their "range to empty" ahead of the ride, and then add an extra 10-20% safety margin. My Bandit will run at least 300km per tank, so I should be quite OK with an extra 5-6L, but I will test it again before the ride and re-*****.

BTW, I'll carry a GPS so we will always know where we are and how much more there is to go.

I'm working on the more detailed map of the route. Next phase will be to stand up and be counted, possibly meet over beer somewhere to get better acquainted and count the inventory. I'll gather more details about sleeping arrangements and decide on the booking deadline by the end of next week.

Keep checking the first post, I'll update most of the info there.

I just realized that riding all the way to Matagami (900Km) on the first day might be pushing it. I'll see if we can find lodging closer to half way, like in Amos (730Km) or Rouyn-Noranda (630Km). Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

It would be great if you could join, especially since you know the route already. Anything we can do to help you decide sooner?
    I'll know toward the end of April if I can or if I can't go.

I'll see if we can find lodging closer to half way, like in Amos (730Km) or Rouyn-Noranda (630Km).
    It looks like it's out of the way, but Val-d'Or would be better than Amos (poutine at Frites d'or, smoked meat sandwich at Valentine!). Ok, no better reason other than those two grease joints, if they're still around. . .
    Last edited by J'suis là; 03-30-2008 at 02:30 AM.
    "I don't consider my North barren, but there are parts of the Arctic where the beauty and fecundity is, shall we say, more subtle. But subtle minds can see great beauty in this.

Quote Originally Posted by J'suis là View Post
    I'll know toward the end of April if I can or if I can't go.
    Good. I think we may be able to wait that long before booking, but I'll let you know for sure once we decide where we'll be crashing and I call them all to inquire.

Quote Originally Posted by J'suis là View Post
    It looks like it's out of the way, but Val-d'Or would be better than Amos (poutine at Frites d'or, smoked meat sandwich at Valentine!)
    Not very far out of the way actually. It would prolong our trip by only 60Km or so, and I'd say it's worth it for good food after the whole day in the saddle . Do you know any motels there?

I just realized that riding all the way to Matagami (900Km) on the first day might be pushing it. I'll see if we can find lodging closer to half way, like in Amos (730Km) or Rouyn-Noranda (630Km). Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.
    900kms not an issue with me Vlad. Its best to pound the first few days then back off.

900kms not an issue with me Vlad. Its best to pound the first few days then back off.
    Not really an issue with me either and you may be totally right . I was just thinking that most of the first and last day will be superslab in heavy to moderate inter-city traffic, but on the other hand if we bite the bullet we'll be awarded with more time to enjoy the part we haven't seen before. Jury is still out and we are open to suggestions.

Maybe all of us seriously committed should meet to brainstorm the details? This Thursday at Lakeshore Tims might be a good opportunity.

Good. I think we may be able to wait that long before booking, but I'll let you know for sure once we decide where we'll be crashing and I call them all to inquire.

Not very far out of the way actually. It would prolong our trip by only 60Km or so, and I'd say it's worth it for good food after the whole day in the saddle . Do you know any motels there?
    We stayed at Motel Park, in the west end of Val-d'Or on 3rd Ave West. It was newly renovated and clean:
    http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-fr/r...rk_876974.html

As for good food in Val-d'Or, well, those restaurants are grease joints actually. Anyway, most of the restaurants are along 3rd avenue, around 3rd and 7th (kind of like downtown Val-d'Or).
    Last edited by J'suis là; 03-30-2008 at 11:26 AM.