Insuring a 22 year old bike

Thread: Insuring a 22 year old bike

Insuring a 22 year old bike

Im looking at buying an 85 500cc honda and I was wondering if statefarm insures bikes this old. I am 21 and will be getting my M1 in the new year. Also, what kind of rates would I be looking at.

Re: Insuring a 22 year old bike

We insure insure any age bike. Call for a quote or visit the website for an online quote.
    Free Bike Insurance Quotes
    John R. Duffy Insurance Brokers Limited
    Insuring Motorcycles since 1963
    Toronto - (905)479-2013
    Outside Toronto - Toll Free 1-866-383-3957

thanks, I filled out an online quote now Im just waiting for an email back.

Anyone else have any advice?

Call Margot (aka Wiggly Cat on the board). She works at State Farm in Richmond Hill. She will give you a quote over the phone. I don't see why they wouldn't insure a bike from 1985. Her phone # is 905-881-9199. Tell her Wobbly Cat sent you!

P.S. Smart move on getting an old cheap bike. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, won't matter too much if you drop it.
    Last edited by WoBblyCaT; 10-06-2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Updated Margot's contact info

not looking too promising guys. Maybe I'll have to scrap the idea of getting a bike. I just cant justify spending 2400 bucks a year on a bike worth 1000 dollars. And I live in a small town of 19,000 too!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean85gt View Post
    not looking too promising guys. Maybe I'll have to scrap the idea of getting a bike. I just cant justify spending 2400 bucks a year on a bike worth 1000 dollars. And I live in a small town of 19,000 too!
    WOW! It's that expensive huh?
    Silly civic. Wings are for airplanes.

Then again...you gotta PAY TO PLAY
    Silly civic. Wings are for airplanes.

do you have a bachelor's?
    if so, try melloche. I got fire/theft/vandalism/$500 deductible for $1200/year from them on a gs500f. I'm 23/M2/1 at fault in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbman View Post
    do you have a bachelor's?
    if so, try melloche. I got fire/theft/vandalism/$500 deductible for $1200/year from them on a gs500f. I'm 23/M2/1 at fault in 2003.
    Actually, Ill be graduated from Brock with my Bachelor's of businss admin in the spring...so I'll have it soon enough

Try John Duffy-they do both my 84 & 85 sportbikes. Less than $600.00 per year each.

Mike

Just got off the phone with statefarm. Since I have to switch over my car as well its going to cost me over 3500 a year for a bike. Their insurance rate on my 85 mustang was over double what I am paying now and for the bike it was 167 a month which is 2000 a year. So I would be going from paying 1000 per year with collision currently to paying 2580 a year without collision and 2000 for a bike. The best part is I have a perfectly clean record.

try ridersplus.com

for a 1985 Honds NS400R was $900/ year for me, but i am 26
    oh crap never mind forgot you need to be over 25

try melloche mate
    maybe you can get a pro-rate on it? What's great is my premium for Oct-Feb is $50, so if there's (hopefully!) nice riding day in there, I'll get to take her out. My full insurance policy starts in late Feb (as in $1200/yr). This was all given to me because of a discount worked out with Queen's and, I believe, because I am doing my Master's. Regardless, call and ask, it's worth a shot.

Not that this will help you much but I pay just a shade under $60/month for my '81 CB650 ......absolute basic PL/PD and a full year .........but then, I've got a few yrs riding behind me..........I often wonder how the young can afford the high price of new machines and the associated costs of operation.........I do feel sorry for you..........

Oh yeah,.....in case you didn't notice, I'm no longer in the GTA and have a slightly longer riding season to validate my year long insurance...........
    Last edited by Rifleman; 11-17-2007 at 01:36 AM.

You gotta pay to play is right. I know it sucks big time.. I was paying 1200 a year for a 500$ bike. 1983 Honda Nighthawk 450 with only liability. It hurt so much. Cost me that for 3 years (age 16-19) and didn't have a single ticket either.

Find a job in BC. People out here complain about insurance, but compared to Ontario. Its amazing.

I just bought an 81 yamaha XJ550, im 20 with no riding experience, and a 1 traffic ticket, it was for going thru one of those signs that say do not enter between whatever time, dun know it was like 7pm - 7am or sumthing like that.

I've had my G2 for about a year and a half, and i got quotes with statefarm for about $1200/year, liability only.

I think this low rate was partly due to the fact that my parents have 3 cars and home insurance with them. I called top get the quote and asked them to make a seperate account so that I would be paying the bike insurance myself. From talking to friends I've been told that state farm is very good with bike ins, expecially if you have "good" history with them, which in my case i do ^^

and yes i said G2, NOT M2