Now this is good Auto-Drama!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now this is good Auto-Drama!!!

Thumbs up Now this is good Auto-Drama!!!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...am_mostdiscuss

We need more laws for sure people.

PS: RIP little Bianca Leduc
    Last edited by eastcoast_gsx; 11-09-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Re: Now this is good Auto-Drama!!!

A 30 Kmh limit? Has anyone here actually tried driving at 30 Kmh for any length of time? Create unrealistic limits like that and people will certainly ignore them, but how fast did this car have to be going in order to lose control and end up on a lawn?
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

The first two paragraphs of that article are insane....

why does that article sound more like a Blog entry than an actual article?? its more of a rant than evidence. it should have been in the opinion section instead.

" Enforcement of traffic laws is not a priority with our police forces, nor with their political masters.

Everybody wants to catch bad guys such as murderers and be hailed as a hero, not hand out tickets and be spat upon.

Politicians puff out their chests and talk about getting tough on crime, but they refuse to bolster the budgets of traffic squads or to implement sound public health measures such as photo radar."

or

"Motor vehicle crashes are, overwhelmingly, anything but accidents. They are often explained by the behaviours of drivers. They are usually the result of irresponsible, risky manoeuvres whose potential consequences are largely predictable and avoidable."

or

"Speed limits are for wimps. Stop signs are for losers."

well he kinda makes a valid point, but too much drama involved.
    Zoom Zoom Zoom

Horrible article, the hole basis of his argument is that speed kills. In reality we all know that speed doesnt kill, it's people's inability to handle speed. I.E. insufficient driver training.
    SOAR Novice #113

I say the root of most collisions is stupidity and selfishness. The driver didn't appraise the situation correctly (stupidity) which resulted plowing into another car then careen through a fence onto the lawn where Bianca was. And I bet he wasn't thinking of anyone but him/herself when they were speeding through the neighbourhood (selfishness). Responsibility often doesn't enter the minds of teens. If they had thought their actions would've resulted in a death then they would've driven appropriately.

However, stupidity and selfishness are universal. Just look around the next time you go out for a drive/ride.

The comments section has some very good points. Driver education seems to be a popular idea as opposed to more laws and photo radar. Maybe people are finally starting to "get it".
    Please promote spelling and grammar:
    www.engrish.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    A 30 Kmh limit? Has anyone here actually tried driving at 30 Kmh for any length of time? Create unrealistic limits like that and people will certainly ignore them, but how fast did this car have to be going in order to lose control and end up on a lawn?
    "driving through the suburban streets considerably faster than the 30-kilometre-an-hour speed limit."

suburban street is usually 40km/h. So he probably driving 70km/h on the local street. It might be okay if its big street without lot of driveways, but its probably unreasonable on a small street with lot of driveways and cars park on the side.

I actually agree with the author to certain extend. Good article.

not so
    pure 2-stroke spirit

I think it's all about respect and common sense. Respect the conditions and others around you and you will drive/ride in an appropriate manner. I'll open it up on the highway with light traffic but I stay at the limit in the neighbourhoods ... common sense.

Add proliferation of unnecessary stop signs, speed bumps, traffic lights, and other 'traffic calming' measures to try to slow down the few a**holes out there but only piss off the rest of us who are responsible. Politics over sound engineering principles. Only adds to the mess.

I can give a perfect example of where adding a bunch of stop signs doesn't work. Try driving through the Mount Royal area of Montreal on the north side of the hill. You'll see how people manage the over-zealous use of stop signs. They simply tap the brakes.
    Please promote spelling and grammar:
    www.engrish.com

people, people, don't u know speed kills. So i recommand we all petition the government to set the speed limit on all roads (roads/streets/hwy) to 0km.
    After all, if the speed is 0km, then we all be safe. also think of it u can be doing 0km in hwy and do your cellphone, laptop, coffee and other things and still be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by z31tt View Post
    I can give a perfect example of where adding a bunch of stop signs doesn't work. Try driving through the Mount Royal area of Montreal on the north side of the hill. You'll see how people manage the over-zealous use of stop signs. They simply tap the brakes.
    Don't they call that the infamous 'Quebec' stop I used to hear about?

But the guy is criticizing Quebec drivers, this doesn't apply to us.

Quote Originally Posted by HDRod View Post
    But the guy is criticizing Quebec drivers, this doesn't apply to us.
    No, it doesn't. I find Quebec drivers to be quite predictable in their insanity, while Ontario drivers are unpredictable.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    No, it doesn't. I find Quebec drivers to be quite predictable in their insanity, while Ontario drivers are unpredictable.
    UNpredictable granted ... but I still feel a hell of a lot safer driving around toronto than Montreal!

RJ

so i have a three year old and im reading all this thinking what if it were me..... car comes up my street with enough speed to bang off another car and careen up the lawn and slaughters the most important thing in the world to me... what do i make of that?
    after all, i drive fast...i have a couple of fast bikes and a fast car... ive never killed anyone....
    I ask myself...what do i think would stop an idiot and protect my kid? because an expert speeder like me only does it on an open highway with no one else to hurt..right? (no sarcasm)

I tell ya when im coming home i slow way down going through the suburbs...im probably actually going the speed limit.... looking for kids to come out of somewhere....

But there ARE people who dont...who blow the stop sign at the corner of my lot ever single time...who go way too fast.....

so i dont know anymore.... there will always be idiots i suppose and therefor the rules have to be made to protect us from them...the un-trainable idiot who has no comment sense....

MarcF650R

The article has good intentions but it is littered with hyperbole and drama. Not exactly reporting unless its from the Sun or CityTV.
    Must be for commentary to stimulate discussion.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by MarcF650R View Post
    The article has good intentions but it is littered with hyperbole and drama. Not exactly reporting unless its from the Sun or CityTV.
    Must be for commentary to stimulate discussion.
    well...it WAS an editorial wasn't it?

I don't think anyone supports speeding through residential areas where kids are playing. But what caused this accident? You can take a turn at the speed limit and still swerve and kill someone.

Driver education including TOUGH license testing is the way to go.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.