Bike won't start for no reason

Thread: Bike won't start for no reason

irenekawa

Bike won't start for no reason

Mine is a 2004CBR RR. Last Sunday still works fine. I had started it 2 times yesterday & no problem ( I just started it without riding). This morning, it won't start. I thought the battery drained, so I put it on a battery tender & got it fully charged. Still not starting. Would it be because of the battery getting old & need a new one? (stock battery with the bike when I first bought it) Or would it because of moisture?

Re: Bike won't start for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by irenekawa View Post
    Mine is a 2004CBR RR. Last Sunday still works fine. I had started it 2 times yesterday & no problem ( I just started it without riding). This morning, it won't start. I thought the battery drained, so I put it on a battery tender & got it fully charged. Still not starting. Would it be because of the battery getting old & need a new one? (stock battery with the bike when I first bought it) Or would it because of moisture?
    Could you be more specific Do you hear any sounds? Is it cranking for not starting? Is it firing? Any detail will be helpful. I would say it's a battery, boost bike from car (keep car engine OFF) and see what will happened. With proper maintenance, battery should live for 4-5 years.
    anyone can hurt a fighter not everyone will get a chance to excuse

irenekawa

Unhappy Re: Bike won't start for no reason

The bike cranks but not starting. I tried to boost it from car, same thing, cranks but not starting. Anybody has any other idea why would it be so? Funny thing was it was perfect yesterday.

Test your regulator/rectifier.

My SV had the same symptoms, i replaced the battery and still it wouldn't start after one or 2 short rides. turns out it was a dead R/R, so I ordered an after market one, installed it, no warranty on electrical parts, and it was a faulty one too.
    2002 Suzuki SV650s

The engine may crank but there may not be enough juice in the battery to fire the plugs. Put a voltmeter on the battery, attempt to start the bike. Watch for a voltage drop, which is normal. At rest the battery should be 13 volts + . When you crank it, the voltage should not drop below 12 volts, if it does the battery is toast, or you can take the battery to crappy tire and they'll do a load test for free. Since the battery is nearly 4 years old I suspect its time for a new one.

You might want to check to make sure your kill switch is not grounding out. If there is a problem with the switch you will not get the bike started.
    John R.
    desmojbr at yahoo dot ca

Check if your getting spark on a plug. Disconnect one of the wires and add an old plug and test if it's sparking. If it looks like it's sparking then check your plugs (change them out). My last bike plugged the spark plugs if I started the bike with out riding it, and it sounds like your started it and didn't let it warm up fully. Too much fuel at idle will wet the plugs and then bike won't start.

If you don't see any spark when testing then most likely a safety switch or ignition related part gone bad (i.e. coils, plug wires, spark sensor, etc.)
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

Check plugs. It's not an safety problem. With safety switch fault it would not do any sound
    anyone can hurt a fighter not everyone will get a chance to excuse

I've had that happen on a RR before (3 times)- usually the owner stated the bike up and only let it run for about 3 mins which caused the plugs to foul

2 solutions
    change the plugs which is quite expensive

or - use some ether to start it

Donald