Spartan Race - 5k Obstacle Course Race - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spartan Race - 5k Obstacle Course Race

Peterborough, or just where ever the road takes me

Re: Spartan Race - 5k Obstacle Course Race

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    For some reason a lot of people wear shoes that are at least a size too big.
    I wish I could say my shoes are too big, but unfortunately they're not. I have naturally clown sized feet
    Not wearing gear while riding is like unprotected sex. Sooner or later you're going to get a rash!

Quote Originally Posted by invictus43 View Post
    For instance, if you give yourself Plantar Fasciiitis (from poor style or shoes that have poor support) you could be off your feet for 6 months, killing your race obviously. You'll be using muscles and putting strain on joints that is abnormal and they need time to build up. Just listen to your body.
    Read this post the day you typed it and was in the back of my mind.

I've been doing some high intensity training in a gym 4-5 times a week for almost a year now, and starting about 4 weeks ago, starting jogging 4-5k on my treadmill starting once a week, and then moved to twice, and was targeting 3 times a week.

Then the pain started last week....

Didn't know what it was....but through the above post, and by playing internet detective, PF is what it is. My symptoms fit it to a T.

Talked to my trainer and others....looks like Im going to have to give it a break, and I'm going to buy a pair of better supportive running shoes. My left foot is resting on an ice pack as I type this...

I did the Warrior run last year what a blast....the mud never claimed my shoes but quite a few were digging them out. I've done alot of atving, so I'm pretty good at picking my way through. It was freakin hot around noon...morning would have been better. Those hills were the killer, the obstacles not bad...hills kill though...lol. Gotta check this Spartan thing out... Im no expert runner but I trained for it, just running around the neighbourhood most days.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnY S View Post
    Read this post the day you typed it and was in the back of my mind.

I've been doing some high intensity training in a gym 4-5 times a week for almost a year now, and starting about 4 weeks ago, starting jogging 4-5k on my treadmill starting once a week, and then moved to twice, and was targeting 3 times a week.

Then the pain started last week....

Didn't know what it was....but through the above post, and by playing internet detective, PF is what it is. My symptoms fit it to a T.

Talked to my trainer and others....looks like Im going to have to give it a break, and I'm going to buy a pair of better supportive running shoes. My left foot is resting on an ice pack as I type this...

Ohhh..sorry to hear man. You can tell for sure when it hurts most getting up in the morning. That's a killer. The biggest thing for me was getting a pair of birkenstocks to wear whenever your feet are not in shoes. Never go barefoot if at all possible. And flip-flops don't count, birkenstocks or better. When you walk up stairs, don't use your forefoot only..put your whole foot on the step. You feel like a tard but it truly helps. Don't push off with your toes when you walk..kinda clomp..again, you feel like a tard but it fixed mine up after 5 months of pain. Took about a month of this to get back to normal. I'm very careful now..I wear birkenstocks whenever possible..buy supportive shoes (all my shoes..work shoes included..I check them all for bending in the mid-foot area..) and am careful with my running. Just as an example, I'm currently running in Brooks Beasts...

I hope you get well soon!
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

My paramedic students team and I are doing Tough Mudder this year. As said, it's the 10-12 mile. I am least looking forward to the electrocution part. I started training back in September but this month I have really stepped up my training. I got a work out designed by a friend of mine in an SF unit. He is the personal training for several of the other guys as well. My workouts tend to take anywhere from 1.5 hr to 2.5 hrs but I go 6 days a week and I haven't missed a beat yet.
    To do something like this, hands down you need to be fit. We don't expect to win but we all want to finish. That's our goal. So long as you have a strong team dynamic it makes the challenge fun and enjoyable. You're only as strong as your weakest person but go at their level and you wont exhaust as easily. That's our plan at least. Plus, everyone is too finish so no one is getting left behind. Good luck and have fun!

For good running footwear to train in, check out the Running Room and get fitted well.
    When the time comes to do the race, get something stronger. I suggest MEC and see their Merrell, North Face etc. Something with good tread for traction and a vibram sole will be helpful. I picked up a pair of North Face that I had in the desert with me. Great sturdy shoe and light enough to run with good support. Just my suggestions.

If you are going to be killing yourself at the gym, def revamp your nutrition. I don't eat red meat. I eat small meals every day and I try and eat as often as every 2 hours just to try and keep the protein up and my metabolism going fast. Go to your healthfood store and pick up a whey protein or something similar. I usually have about 2 shakes a day. Heals your muscles faster and promotes fat burning. If you over exert, you're more likely to do more harm to your body than good. So long as you are providing the muscles with what they need, you should be able to keep the intensity up.
    Last edited by Banger; 01-28-2012 at 09:17 AM.

I ran the Iron Man a year and a half ago, and you better believe I trained pretty hard for it. I was already in decent running shape, as I have always ran cross country and hit the gym since high school. Plantar Fasciatis is a real pain ( no pun intended ), I've never had it, however I did get tendonitis in my achilles tendon from doing too many hill runs, and wearing crap shoes. I really got sold on the barefoot running after reading a lot of stories on it, and how shoes really just baby our feet making them somewhat more prone to injury. Nike then came out with there Nike Free shoe line, which mimics running barefoot, and I swear by the shoes. They have strengthened my achilles, my ankles, and I have never had any injuries since using them.

I ran with a lot of hardcore people during my Iron Man competition, including an SAS operative from England and a Navy Seal. We swapped workout stories and I must say one of the best running regimes has been FARTLEK training. You can read about it, and studies have shown that doing that type of running can be far more beneficial then simple long term endurance running. I had always been an endurance running doing my cross country, however after doing a month of Fartlek training, doing my usual endurance long distance running felt much easier, and more comfortable.

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

5k run = warm up every morning before we hit the water
    Under Armour Quick Shoe - only shoes I'll wear for training (have 4 pairs $29.99 in the states compared to the first pair I bought for $100 ), Superfeet insole = best set up for me

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003W47S60/...0&linkCode=asn

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
    I ran the Iron Man a year and a half ago, and you better believe I trained pretty hard for it. I was already in decent running shape, as I have always ran cross country and hit the gym since high school. Plantar Fasciatis is a real pain ( no pun intended ), I've never had it, however I did get tendonitis in my achilles tendon from doing too many hill runs, and wearing crap shoes. I really got sold on the barefoot running after reading a lot of stories on it, and how shoes really just baby our feet making them somewhat more prone to injury. Nike then came out with there Nike Free shoe line, which mimics running barefoot, and I swear by the shoes. They have strengthened my achilles, my ankles, and I have never had any injuries since using them.

I ran with a lot of hardcore people during my Iron Man competition, including an SAS operative from England and a Navy Seal. We swapped workout stories and I must say one of the best running regimes has been FARTLEK training. You can read about it, and studies have shown that doing that type of running can be far more beneficial then simple long term endurance running. I had always been an endurance running doing my cross country, however after doing a month of Fartlek training, doing my usual endurance long distance running felt much easier, and more comfortable.
    I have the shoe as well. Love it. I have plantar fasciitis and it is terrible. I have been wearing orthotics since I was 13. Hip dysplasia at birth doesn't help but I really enjoy the shoe. I don't wear my footbeds in them and I can't complain.

Do you wear your orthotics in your Nike Frees ?

" Run as fast as you can, then jump and slide on the pavement. Now think of traveling at 80 MPH and doing the same. Don't be a squid, wear proper gear. "

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Manhattan View Post
    Do you wear your orthotics in your Nike Frees ?
    Nope. I haven't had a flare up in quite some time which is nice. I wear my orthotics in my work out shoes, just my daily walking shoes.

now im paranoid about plantar fasciitis
    Amen! Hallelujah! Peanut Butter!
    Current Ride - 89 Katana 600

The Spartan Race is a social tea party with beer. It's a piece of cake for everyone, except perhaps those that drive a desk in the Chair Force.

For running shoes, get fitted at any Running Room location, then go to the Outlet Store- located near Sherway Gardens - and buy them in last years' colours for about $50. I went through a few pairs last year, training for the Army half marathon in Ottawa, and the outlet store saved me a pile of money.

Quote Originally Posted by inferno View Post
    now im paranoid about plantar fasciitis
    Be very afraid. I havent worked out in 5 days now.

damn that sucks. get well soon.

thanks for the outlet store idea. i was looking at nike frees around malls and its around $125!!
    Amen! Hallelujah! Peanut Butter!
    Current Ride - 89 Katana 600

Quote Originally Posted by 99CBRF4 View Post

For running shoes, get fitted at any Running Room location, then go to the Outlet Store- located near Sherway Gardens - and buy them in last years' colours for about $50. I went through a few pairs last year, training for the Army half marathon in Ottawa, and the outlet store saved me a pile of money.
    Great advice! Where the hell was this info last weekend?

Went to Running Room and got fitted with some spankin new shoes. Nike Zoom Structure Triax 15.

Expensive as hell, but amazing what a proper pair of runners can do.

Easing my way back to the gym, but the jogging is on hold now.

Quote Originally Posted by inferno View Post
    Anybody here planning on running this on June 24, 2012 ?

Ive never run any 5k before so thinking of signing up for this as a goal. That gives me 5 months to prepare with no running background. Anybody joining or can share some stories from past races?

Link to official race page and registration:
    http://www.spartanrace.com/toronto-o...rint-2012.html

Its $60 to signup, which is a bit steep but currently there is a Groupbuy deal going on

$64 for 2 Entries
    http://www.buytopia.ca/deal/746?a_ai...lsLmNvbQ%3D%3D

And some random info :

An article on the previous Toronto Race:
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/articl...me-to-all-pain

All racers receive:
    - Finishers Medal
    - Free Spartan Race T-Shirt
    - Scrapes and Bruises
    - Stories, stories, and more stories

Map
    402 Old Barrie Road, Oro, ON, L0L 2E0
    A few of my riding buddies are doing it. I don't think I'll go for it though; $60 for 5KM doesn't seem worth it. The minimum I'll run in a race now and days is 10KM otherwise I'd do a half-marathon/full marathon for a few bucks more.

Good luck on your first 5KM though, I started off doing 5KM's. You got to start somewhere.
    Last edited by Evol; 02-04-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Did this last year with a buddy of mine, and my brother did it with his fire guys. We're all signed up to do it again this year plus a few more. I can't remember when I signed up again but it was about $30-40 pp.

I just wore my regular Nike runners, shorts and dry fit shirt. Best advice is to wear a crappy, more fitted shirt. I kept getting my shirt snagged on the chicken wire.

I saw lots of people wearing their Five Fingers, I just didn't want mine to get shredded - it was the first time I did anything like that and had no idea how "rough" it would be.

It was a lot of a fun and good challenge for people of average fitness and are generally active. Good bit of cardio is involved so if you're not a regular runner (I hate running!) then a bit of training is required. Be sure to STRETCH!!

I'd like to do the Warrior Dash as well, their original date coincided with PMH's Ride to Conquer Cancer but it appears it's been pushed to July 21. However it's sitting at $65 now...and I don't know if I'm willing to pay that much :\
    Down with pants, up with skirts!

Join us! http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...2012-June-8-10

If anyone hasn't signed up for Spartan Race this year and still wants to, there's a deal for 10% off.
    http://www.groupdudes.com/team.php?id=148
    Down with pants, up with skirts!

Join us! http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...2012-June-8-10

I ran the toronto and ottawa spartan races last year. Get your cardio up, get your legs strong and have a strong upper body. You should be able to get yourself over a 6 foot wall without a rope and should be able to climb a rope up about 10-15 feet. And don't take advice from people who haven't done the actual race. Starting off slow is how you have a bad experience. Each wave of runners is 500 people. You wanna wait in line to do an obstacle because you didn't get out to a strong start? That's a good way to slow your heart rate right down. These races are not about who finishes first, but it's not about lolly gagging and not giving it 100%

Where the sun don't shine (Toronto, you nasty)

Hey guys what do you think about the spartan race vs tough mudder vs warrior dash?

What are the differences in the courses like? I'm really excited to sign up for at least 2 of them