lowering help

Thread: lowering help

lowering help

ok...here goes...i just finished my first season on a 2009 kawasaki vulcan 500 and while i love the bike, i'm looking to "upgrade" or "tradeup" for this upcoming season...few reasons why: 1) back and shoulders get tired after a few hours (four one day without stopping), 2) very skinny front tire means i feel every crack in the pavement (100/90r16), and 3) looking for more power when accelerating/shifting gears...i'm female, 5'4" and 105 lbs...i posted one thread about 500 cc sportbikes (Ninja 500 and GS500) and got some good feedback so went to sit on them...too tall i'm used to flat footing my cruiser and not sure if i like the whole tip toe thing when coming to a stop...

i'm on a kawasaki vulcan forum and asked about upgrading to a vulcan 800...guys there told me that because of engine design (mine is a parallel twin and the 800 is a v-twin) and higher rpm range on my bike, that the 800 wouldn't really be an "upgrade" if i was comparing performance only (apparently the horsepower difference is only 7 and the 800 weighs over 100 lbs more)...

now here's my question...i really love the look of the naked sportbikes (love the er-6n, versys, v-strom, bmw f800r) but they are all too tall for me...i know they can be lowered but want to know a) how much it generally costs to lower a bike and b) what effect it has on the bike's handling overall (i know it changes the centre of gravity but that's it)...

thanks in advance to everyone's input...

ivana

Re: lowering help

Sounds like you're looking in the right direction with a change in bikes.. I enjoy the riding position on my GS a lot more than a cruiser

As for lowering.. I believe the two most common methods are to order a kit for the rear suspension, and/or shave the seat down. A quick google shows a lowering kit for an ER6n costs about $150, then maybe the cost of installation after that. Not sure about getting the seat shaved down..

Here's a link to another forum I'm on, I saw them talking over this same issue http://gstwins.com/gsboard/index.php?topic=58693.0 The fifth post down has some good info

Lowering the suspension will adversely affect the handling of the bike and is strongly not recommended. Take every other possible alternative first and then if lowering is still absolutely necessary, lower it as little as possible and equally at both ends to minimize the adverse effects.

Look into: shaving the seat down and narrowing it a bit at the front so that your legs can be at a better angle, not flat footing at a stop (it isn't necessary - get used to not doing it), boots with thick soles.

I would go to a BMW dealer and check if they have a factory lowered F800, on the F800S and the F800ST you could get a factory lowered chassis and then there were three different seats available. The lowest setup is substantially lower than the standard.
    No worries about doing a custom suspension and you will also find these bikes are quite light and with the fuel tank under the seat they also have a very low center of gravity.
    Another model to consider is a 650, they make a twin cylinder ( same motor as the F800GS but detuned ) and a single cylinder. Also available with low suspension.

Just noticed who you are....still got that xs jacket if you want

F800R and F800S = good bike! I had close cousin F800ST as a rental in Europe for two weeks, and liked it.

I to am not blessed with gift of height, i ride a gsxr600 and i have lowered it. There has been no adverse affects from lowering , i have never ridin it at stock height, so it feels natural to me. I have put many track days in on it and have no problems with handleing or how fast it turns in at the beining of a turn. When done right you should feel no difference if you take delivery of it lowered. Race bikes are lowered and raised almost every race for the spesific race track and rider feel.

If you're still considering the Ninja 500R, models 2009 and earlier have a 30.5 inch seat height. One of the lowest I've found for sport bikes so far. I'm 5'3" with a 26" inseam, so I know the difficulty of finding a bike you can sit on. While I can't flatfeet the Ninja 500, I can flatfoot with ease, and with both feet I have my toes and balls of my feet on the ground on both sides - feels pretty solid. Not sure if that's an option for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GunSlinger View Post
    I to am not blessed with gift of height, i ride a gsxr600 and i have lowered it. There has been no adverse affects from lowering , i have never ridin it at stock height, so it feels natural to me. I have put many track days in on it and have no problems with handleing or how fast it turns in at the beining of a turn. When done right you should feel no difference if you take delivery of it lowered. Race bikes are lowered and raised almost every race for the spesific race track and rider feel.
    The change is adjusted in mm, not inches, for racing and not so a rider can touch the ground.
    Last edited by dricked; 01-20-2012 at 08:23 PM.

The F800 series has not only a lowered suspension option, but also a lower seat option. I believe that the two together are about 2 1/2 inches lower than "standard". All this direct from the dealer, so there's no lying on the insurance questionnaire when they ask if the bike has been "modified altered or changed from original in any way". There are lots of options out there, just do your research before jumping in.

"You tell...and I will smack you like a bad, bad donkey, okay?"- Pepe Prawn

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I'm challenged in the height dept. too .

Corbin makes custom seats that may help with getting more foot on the ground. I'm considering a Soupy's lowering kit plus adjustable stand package, 'cause once bike is lowered, the factory stand needs to be shortened too. The Soupy's kit allows one to bring bike back up as confidence grows, but to be honest (and laugh if you must at my noob comment, lol) the prob I find is not so much on the move, but in parking lots.

One foot on the ground is ok at a stop...tippy toe no prob too, but you know when you're on a lot with a grade to it, or trying to back the bike up while you are sitting on it...that is where it is nice to have full contact with the ground . I'm sure some could relate to this issue...not so sure how many would be honest enough to admit it
    < Me

My Ride: 2011 CBR250R. Thank you, Santa, for the early Christmas gift. Being naughty has its benefits !
    My Hubby: RodneyBR

Previous/Current Stablemates:
    06 Yamaha TW200 - First bike memories.
    06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R (Hubby's bike...sold)
    04 VFR800 (Hubby's new ride)

Quote Originally Posted by dricked View Post
    The change is measured in mm, not inches, and not so a rider can touch the ground.
    My gsxr is lowered 1.5 inchs and works great as both a track bike and street bike. I will agree that if you are riding a bike at stock height for a period then lower it can be very tricky to ajust. The most important thing about lowering is that it is done by a reputable shop and the rake and trail remain as close to stock as can be. Even with my bike lowered i can not flat foot the ground,I am on the balls of my feet.

The new Motorcycle course's also teach that there should only ever be one foot on the ground except when backing up , so i guess being able to flat foot is not of great importance as you can allways tip your bike to the left a little when stopped ( your right foot should be covering the rear breake). I guess i have ridin this way all my like and now it does not feel strange or different to me that i can't flat foot my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
    Thanks so much for starting this thread. I'm challenged in the height dept. too .

Corbin makes custom seats that may help with getting more foot on the ground. I'm considering a Soupy's lowering kit plus adjustable stand package, 'cause once bike is lowered, the factory stand needs to be shortened too. The Soupy's kit allows one to bring bike back up as confidence grows, but to be honest (and laugh if you must at my noob comment, lol) the prob I find is not so much on the move, but in parking lots.

One foot on the ground is ok at a stop...tippy toe no prob too, but you know when you're on a lot with a grade to it, or trying to back the bike up while you are sitting on it...that is where it is nice to have full contact with the ground . I'm sure some could relate to this issue...not so sure how many would be honest enough to admit it
    I can admit it parking lots with a grade a bugger but i just stand beside my bike and back it up then put the side stand down and get on from there, sometimes people laugh but i don't care because there not riding anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ifiddles View Post
    ok...here goes...i just finished my first season on a 2009 kawasaki vulcan 500 and while i love the bike, i'm looking to "upgrade" or "tradeup" for this upcoming season...few reasons why: 1) back and shoulders get tired after a few hours (four one day without stopping), 2) very skinny front tire means i feel every crack in the pavement (100/90r16), and 3) looking for more power when accelerating/shifting gears...i'm female, 5'4" and 105 lbs...i posted one thread about 500 cc sportbikes (Ninja 500 and GS500) and got some good feedback so went to sit on them...too tall i'm used to flat footing my cruiser and not sure if i like the whole tip toe thing when coming to a stop...

i'm on a kawasaki vulcan forum and asked about upgrading to a vulcan 800...guys there told me that because of engine design (mine is a parallel twin and the 800 is a v-twin) and higher rpm range on my bike, that the 800 wouldn't really be an "upgrade" if i was comparing performance only (apparently the horsepower difference is only 7 and the 800 weighs over 100 lbs more)...

now here's my question...i really love the look of the naked sportbikes (love the er-6n, versys, v-strom, bmw f800r) but they are all too tall for me...i know they can be lowered but want to know a) how much it generally costs to lower a bike and b) what effect it has on the bike's handling overall (i know it changes the centre of gravity but that's it)...

thanks in advance to everyone's input...

ivana
    Pm Asia, she is a member here, she is about your height and got the BMW factory lowered. She loves it for what she told me the last time we spoke.

She also has had a lowered ninja 250, she would have some good perspective
    Quote Originally Posted by AGAVE View Post
    Paulo is protected by A.S.S.- Agave's Security Services

Quote Originally Posted by ZX600 View Post
    Pm Asia, she is a member here, she is about your height and got the BMW factory lowered. She loves it for what she told me the last time we spoke.

She also has had a lowered ninja 250, she would have some good perspective
    Azia. She has the 650 GS in blue. She also has a matching handbag.

Quote Originally Posted by WoBblyCaT View Post
    Azia. She has the 650 GS in blue. She also has a matching handbag.
    + 10 hp