Popping wheelies at walmart after business hours.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Popping wheelies at walmart after business hours.

Popping wheelies at walmart after business hours.

So.... can a cop nail ya for stunting [popping wheelies etc] in a walmart Parking lot?

Banned

Re: Popping wheelies at walmart after business hours.

Criminal Code charge, Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle if a cop is so inclined. Fingerprints, mug shot, bike towed to impound.

I don't think they can really do anything since it's not a public road and the HTA wouldn't apply. U could get charged with vandalism or trespassing but I doubt much else.

Yes. If you do anything that endangers anyone you could get charged with dangerous driving. it happened with some cagers in Niagara Falls. Criminal charge BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by haisam10 View Post
    I don't think they can really do anything since it's not a public road and the HTA wouldn't apply. U could get charged with vandalism or trespassing but I doubt much else.
    You think incorrectly.

charges under the HTA wouldnt apply, but criminal charges such as dangerous operation of a motor vehicle or reckless endangerment are definetly possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varment View Post
    ...Are you going to want a full size casket or a pizza box to hold whats left of you later?
    Moving to Barrie? I can help! Download my contact info here: http://contacts.lucbouillon.com/download

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    You think incorrectly.
    Then I am human. Is careless driving a criminal offense? I kno u can get charged with using a motor vehicle as a "weapon", per say. But I know if u are doing donuts or burnouts in a parking lot then they would charge u with vandalism or trespassing. If noone is around, they would have a hard time pinning careless driving on u.

Quote Originally Posted by just_luc View Post
    charges under the HTA wouldnt apply, but criminal charges such as dangerous operation of a motor vehicle or reckless endangerment are definetly possible.
    Ah alright. Just make a run for it if cops are near and hide behind the building.

Then I am human. Is careless driving a criminal offense? I kno u can get charged with using a motor vehicle as a "weapon", per say. But I know if u are doing donuts or burnouts in a parking lot then they would charge u with vandalism or trespassing. If noone is around, they would have a hard time pinning careless driving on u.
    Ah alright. Just make a run for it if cops are near and hide behind the building.
    You are putting yourself at risk so it's not hard to make the Dangerous stick. Careless is an HTA violation, Dangerous driving is a criminal code violation.

You are correct that the HTA does not apply in a parking lot, but the criminal code does.

And if you don't have the permission of the Walmart or Smart Centre or whatever, then you could get charged with trespassing too.

Geeze!! Phew, thx for the quick response buds.

Banned

One night last winter a buddy took his jacked up Jeep to a parking lot to do donuts and let his wife get acquainted with it. (She wasn't familiar with RWD/4x4 vehicles) So before they start messing around they check the area for other vehicles etc. they notice a cop sitting there doing cop stuff in his car.

They went and asked him if he'd bust them if they decided to do donuts etc. in the parking lot. Apparently he told them that because it's private property, even if he wanted to, he couldn't touch them for messing around unless the tenants or property owner complained about trespassing or they caused damage to the property. So the cop left nearly right after talking to them and they went about doing their donuts.

On one hand I'm inclined to think the cop deliberately turned a blind eye to it, hence why he departed immediately. But the private property aspect does have me curious about the legality of it. If you own 10 acres of land for example and you decided to go to crazy on it with your 4x4 vehicle, how is that any different from a parking lot?

We should start throwing these legal questions at cops and get official answers to the stuff that isn't so black and white. Y108 has a show segment called "Ask a Cop" http://www.y108.ca/djsandshows/askacop.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by sundancekid View Post
    ... But the private property aspect does have me curious about the legality of it. If you own 10 acres of land for example and you decided to go to crazy on it with your 4x4 vehicle, how is that any different from a parking lot?
    im no lawyer, but if i had to guess the diffrence would be that your 10 acres are fenced off, or at least there is an assumption that only you or the group of you that is involved in the potentialy dangerous activity is present in the area.. while even though a walmart parking law i privately owned, its public space.. and if your there, others can be there aswell and could fall victim to such danger
    Quote Originally Posted by Varment View Post
    ...Are you going to want a full size casket or a pizza box to hold whats left of you later?
    Moving to Barrie? I can help! Download my contact info here: http://contacts.lucbouillon.com/download

Banned

On one hand I'm inclined to think the cop deliberately turned a blind eye to it, hence why he departed immediately. But the private property aspect does have me curious about the legality of it. If you own 10 acres of land for example and you decided to go to crazy on it with your 4x4 vehicle, how is that any different from a parking lot?
    A mall parking lot may be private property, but it is still considered a public space to which the public has generally open access at any time, and who could be endangered by someone doing stunts.

Your own property (for most) would be a different matter. There is no implied open public access to it. However, if in doing your stunts you do so too close to others on that property and in a way that could potentially endanger them, you could still find the cops looking at you with an eye to dangerous driving.

As to donuts in a private parking lot, look this one up.
    Police said a 2010 Porsche 911 GTRS arrived and the driver began to perform unsafe manoeuvres in the parking lot in the close vicinity of onlookers.
    The driver’s actions were deemed to be a public safety risk and police arrested the driver and charged him with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

Hans Tornbom, a 43-year-old resident of Sweden, pleaded guilty to the offence, and was fined for his actions. He has since left Canada to continue the rally.

During the first good snow fall last year, I took my new to me Honda Element to the local No Frills parking lot. I've never driven with AWD, ABS and winter tires all combined so I went to the area with no cars and gassed it around corners and panic braked to see how good the traction was. Did it for a good 30 minutes and no one noticed.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by WoBblyCaT View Post
    And if you don't have the permission of the Walmart or Smart Centre or whatever, then you could get charged with trespassing too.
    Not unless they first tell you to get off the (nominally public access) property first. After that, if you don't leave, you're trespassing.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    During the first good snow fall last year, I took my new to me Honda Element to the local No Frills parking lot. I've never driven with AWD, ABS and winter tires all combined so I went to the area with no cars and gassed it around corners and panic braked to see how good the traction was. Did it for a good 30 minutes and no one noticed.
    I always do this kind of stuff in winter. Have had cops drive by and not care.

One night last winter a buddy took his jacked up Jeep to a parking lot to do donuts and let his wife get acquainted with it. (She wasn't familiar with RWD/4x4 vehicles) So before they start messing around they check the area for other vehicles etc. they notice a cop sitting there doing cop stuff in his car.

They went and asked him if he'd bust them if they decided to do donuts etc. in the parking lot. Apparently he told them that because it's private property, even if he wanted to, he couldn't touch them for messing around unless the tenants or property owner complained about trespassing or they caused damage to the property. So the cop left nearly right after talking to them and they went about doing their donuts.

We should start throwing these legal questions at cops and get official answers to the stuff that isn't so black and white. Y108 has a show segment called "Ask a Cop" http://www.y108.ca/djsandshows/askacop.aspx
    That cop was wrong. My buddy got busted for doing donuts in a mall parking lot in oshawa. Dangerous driving. He took it to court and won because the cop didnt show up, but he still got the ticket.

Though i did the same thing at yorkdale when i was teaching a girl to drive stick. Some cops pulled into the lot, so i had her drive (ie, squeel the tires) over to them and just let them know we werent just ripping up the lot, i was teaching her how to drive. They were cool with it but theyd have been within their right to nail us for dangerous driving.

Dont get me wrong i think thats stupid but thats the way it works. The only time you can do stuff like that is if you have a private, non-public (ie gated) lot. Then the cops cant touch you. They also cant touch you for non-criminal code stuff, like not wearing a helmet in a parking lot or running stop signs in a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 50 over View Post
    So.... can a cop nail ya for stunting [popping wheelies etc] in a walmart Parking lot?
    They can usually "nail ya" for just about anything, anywhere... whether or not the charges stick seems like a different matter.

Being polite can go a very long way... like the time I was teaching my 15 year old brother how to drive standard. Before the cop left he told us "just dont _____ing hit anything" lol he was pretty cool.
    Originally posted by INREB
    Spool up time is the lag. Who put the lag in a lag? Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp? Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

Originally Posted by invictus43
    can you explain magnets to me??

If you really think the cop won't arrest you or take your ride away even if it isn't against the law you're in the land of tin foils. Are we forgetting G8? Remember when cops were arresting people illegally and saying "you don't have rights."

They can nearly justify anything and say "I perceived this to dangerous because of 'blah blah blah'" end story. Game over for you. How do you think Mounties have been getting away with Murder for so long.

I know turbo is going to respond to this and there is no point in that turbo. I know where you stand so don't waste your time. I won't bother to respond to you.