Mike's Effing Awesome DIY Garmin GPS Mount Tutorial

Thread: Mike's Effing Awesome DIY Garmin GPS Mount Tutorial

Mike's Effing Awesome DIY Garmin GPS Mount Tutorial

Ok, so you want a mount for your Garmin GPS, and you're the awesome kind of person who'd rather spend $5 and 30 minutes building it (30 minutes is to get the parts, not actually build this, which takes about 5 minutes tops), rather than spending $15 plus tax plus shipping on a pre-made one. This tutorial is for you.

Stuff you need (I got most of my loot from Jacob's Hardware 100 meters west of Queen/Spadina. They're awesome, helpful folk with excellent prices on everything except Goo Gone, which Canadian Tire somehow has cheaper, but lucky for you, you don't need Goo Gone for this project):

Loot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MountParts.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	24300

1x 4" x 1/4" standard issue bolt

1x 5/8" x 1.75" hose (Why 5/8"? Because that seems to be pretty standard a diameter for steering tubes. Measure yours and ask for an appropriate hose that's just slightly smaller than your tube diameter)

2x 5/8" washers -- get more than 2, get 12-20, because not all washers are built to NASA tolerances, and some won't fit.

2x coupler nuts

1x 17 mm bead -- "But Mike," you say, "I've scoured all of the craft stores on Queen Street between Spadina and Bathurst and NONE OF THEM CARRY 17 mm beads! They only have 16 mm and 18 mm beads, as if all 17 mm beads were evil and covered with hepatitis! Should I abandon my project and commit seppuku?"

No, keep your guts inside your body, there's hope yet. Read on.

Head 5 minutes north to Kensington Market, to a shop called Courage My Love. Ask any of the lovely ladies who work there for 17 mm beads or 17 mm bead necklaces. You're going to want to buy at least 12 of these beads, too, because just like the washers, each of these beads has (vastly) differing geometries, and you're going to need trial-and-error until you find one that fits your cradle.

Assembly:

Name:	FinishedMount.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	24301

I'll omit actual assembly instructions as a test of your evolution. If you have ever played with Lego, or can count beyond 3, you should be able to pass this test. I hope you all pass. You'll notice I didn't screw on my bead completely. This is because I don't want to. You can if you wish.

Installation:

Name:	Garmin Nuvi 855 GPS Mount.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	24302

Slide the assembled unit down the steering tube, and make sure it doesn't drop into the tube, or you may never get it back. You're going to want to keep the bead off the bolt for this because you'll need to hold the bolt while you tighten the top coupler nut with a wrench. This will make the hose expand inside the tube and keep your mount super secure. Be sure to tighten the nut and squeeze that hose a LOT. The more friction, the stabler, and the merrier.

Once it's secure to your satisfaction, screw on the bead (with or without loctite/glue, I opted for no loctite/glue in case I need to later switch beads in the future for any reason. I figured I can always glue it later if necessary).

Other stuff you want to know:

1) The beads from Courage My Love will come with a bore hole that's made for fishing line thickness necklace wire, or whatever it is they use. This is far too small for the bolt, so you'll need to bore a hole into the wooden bead. I recommend a 7/32" bore, which will be "one size" smaller than the bolt itself, ensuring maximum friction. Screwing on the bead may feel laborious and difficult, but you'll be safe in knowing the friction will keep your stuff securely in place in every dimension. DO NOT bore a hole too large or the bead will simply slide freely along the bolt, which is counterproductive entirely.

2) Putting the cradle on the unit may require a bit of force that will unnerve you. This is ok. If you find it's too easy or too hard, it means you've used the wrong size bead. That's why you have 11-19 more. It should snugly "snap" into the Garmin cradle. I would advise against popping it on and off repeatedly, as it is made of wood and you will over time degrade its ability to hang onto the cradle. I normally leave my cradle on my bike anyway, with a small plastic bag over it so rain doesn't damage the connectors. Up to you what you do here.

3) I put an additional safety cable directly from my GPS to the bike's frame, "just in case" this stuff all fails. So far, it hasn't even come close to, but safety first.

4) Enjoy this Effing Awesome project!
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Re: Mike's Effing Awesome DIY Garmin GPS Mount Tutorial

This is an epic mount tutorial.
    2010 GSXR600

nicely done.

Can you put a pic with the gps on it???
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Please help me reach my goal in raising money for a great cause.
    Here is the link to my Ride For Site page.
    Thank-you =)

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx...onID%3d1326806

Quote Originally Posted by rafiki911 View Post
    Can you put a pic with the gps on it???
    I would love to, Raf, but I'm out of space on the forums, I can't upload any more pictures. Apparently someone thought 250 kb would be enough for everyone and mine's all used up.
    With less than six months' riding experience, on my first bike -- a 600 cc, 110 BHP crotch rocket -- I rode 21,569 km around North America solo in 2011: ridermike.blogspot.com
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done, because I am living proof otherwise.

Space has a terrible secret. We are here to protect you from the terrible secret of space.

Quote Originally Posted by viper84737 View Post
    I would love to, Raf, but I'm out of space on the forums, I can't upload any more pictures. Apparently someone thought 250 kb would be enough for everyone and mine's all used up.
    upload your pictures to Imageshack.us then post them here. That way you can post pictures bigger then thumbnails.
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

True story: viper84737 has a wooden ball.

Have you tried tinypic.com?
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Here's what it looks like with the cradle, I don't have one with the GPS on it, but as soon as I do, I'll put it up here at the bottom. It kind of blocks out the view from most angles, though. I figure if you can see the cradle on it, you can imagine the GPS as it is mounted.

Last edited by viper84737; 05-03-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Yea, I can totally see it now. Thanks.
    2010 Suzuki GS500F

Thank-you =)

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    upload your pictures to Imageshack.us then post them here. That way you can post pictures bigger then thumbnails.
    God please don't use imageshack, use imgur if need be.

good job, will look into that if I need another mount
    Resident Loudmouth

Thanks.

Thanks.
    Nice job. Hope it stays in one piece for you.
    I still favour RAM mounts, but that's a great idea.
    BTW....in your tutorial, you mention 'be careful' not to let it fall down the steering head tube. It's ok - it's hollow, and will fall though to the ground on your bike. (been there, done that).

It lasted 21,569 km as I rode through every type of terrain in North America this summer -- deserts, mountains, freezing rainstorms. It's torture-tested now

It needed adjustment once, somewhere in California mid-trip. The consequences of not adjusting it were that the GPS would semi-annoyingly rotate about somewhat loosely as the cable pulled on it when you turned the handlebars. A simple 30 second re-tightening with two pliers allowed for another 12,000 km of problem-free riding until I came back home, where it needed another adjustment. I guess the service schedule is every 12k, heh! So yeah, it's tighter than being in a phone booth with Rosanne Barr.