Nexus Interview Questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus Interview Questions

Nexus Interview Questions

If anyone here has gone through the interview process, can you tell me what the questions were? I have my interview this Friday.

I'm guessing they'll ask things like
    - "Why do you want a Nexus pass?"
    - "Have you ever brought anything across the border without declaring it?"
    - "Have you ever or do you plan to work in the U.S."

I have nothing to hide, I'm just treating it like a job interview and trying to be prepared.

Re: Nexus Interview Questions

Yeah it's really no big deal, just general stuff like that, I don't recall them throwing any curveball questions.

The interview is more of an orientation than anything else. They take pictures of your eye, show you how to use the machine and go over rules, warnings and give you advice - ie if you answer yes to any of the questions, you'll automatically get sent to secondary inspection, but have priority over non-nexus card holders or avoid secondary inspection by going through the "regular" inspection line. They'll also warn you about declaring currency or negotiable instruments over $10,000 or food which is anything consumed by mouth, other than gum, mints, medication or water. You don't need to justify having the card. The CBSA's are quite friendly and hospitable, believe it or not - if you've made it to the interview, you're already one of the "good guys" in their eyes. You have nothing to worry about or prepare for.
    Last edited by promac; 03-28-2011 at 05:49 PM.

^^^^ What they said. Don't stress it.
    2009 CBR600RR
    2007 ZZR 600 (written off)

Thanks everyone for your help. It sounds like a breeze.

Let us know how it goes, I have an interview late next week. Thanks
    Sorry, Luke. I'm just doing my job. You gotta appreciate that. Nah, calling it your job don't make it right Boss.

You're letting the US government have your fingerprints and a scan of your retina? Voluntarily? Just for convenience?

Whatever you do, don't mention the summer you spent at camp in Afghanistan. Remember, do not use the word Afghanistan.

Afghanistan.

I've been on the fence for awhile about getting my Nexus because it means giving my fingerprints and possibly my iris scan to "the man." But it's not like I live off the grid. I have a credit card, I have a Social Insurance #, I have a health card, driver's license, bank account, I file tax returns, a passport, I cross the US-Canada border regularly, etc. It's not like I'm not on file already. I don't have anything to hide, nor do I plan on becoming part of the Korean mafia (although I know Mr. Kim). The only danger I see if someone with the same fingerprints or iris gets into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by WoBblyCaT View Post
    I've been on the fence for awhile about getting my Nexus because it means giving my fingerprints and possibly my iris scan to "the man." But it's not like I live off the grid. I have a credit card, I have a Social Insurance #, I have a health card, driver's license, bank account, I file tax returns, a passport, I cross the US-Canada border regularly, etc. It's not like I'm not on file already. I don't have anything to hide, nor do I plan on becoming part of the Korean mafia (although I know Mr. Kim). The only danger I see if someone with the same fingerprints or iris gets into trouble.
    Or someone in the US government decides to use your fingerprints and scan in some kind of international intrigue involving Kim Jong Il.

All kidding aside, I remember talking to my grandfather about growing up in Italy in the 1920s. He used to tell me how everyone trusted the church and the local government so much, how they had a lot of respect for authority. When people started disappearing in the 30s, people realized that the country had changed. It was a gradual change, but it also happened quite quickly. Suddenly the government had eyes and ears everywhere, and you had to be careful what you said or did. Some people disappeared because of what they had said or did before the war, when such things weren't illegal. They thought they had nothing to hide. After the war, the country changed again, quickly, and people disappeared because of what they had said or did DURING the war, when they also thought they had nothing to hide.

I'm not saying America is headed towards being a fascist country. I'm just saying that in a free country, our government (and especially the government of other countries) shouldn't need our fingerprints and retinal scans. They'll have that information long after you're dead, and who knows what the future will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    Or someone in the US government decides to use your fingerprints and scan in some kind of international intrigue involving Kim Jong Il.

All kidding aside, I remember talking to my grandfather about growing up in Italy in the 1920s. He used to tell me how everyone trusted the church and the local government so much, how they had a lot of respect for authority. When people started disappearing in the 30s, people realized that the country had changed. It was a gradual change, but it also happened quite quickly. Suddenly the government had eyes and ears everywhere, and you had to be careful what you said or did. Some people disappeared because of what they had said or did before the war, when such things weren't illegal. They thought they had nothing to hide. After the war, the country changed again, quickly, and people disappeared because of what they had said or did DURING the war, when they also thought they had nothing to hide.

I'm not saying America is headed towards being a fascist country. I'm just saying that in a free country, our government (and especially the government of other countries) shouldn't need our fingerprints and retinal scans. They'll have that information long after you're dead, and who knows what the future will look like.
    I agree. I hate the argument "the man" gives, if you've got nothing to hide then you should have no problems giving up your fingerprint, DNA sample or letting us search your car.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    I agree. I hate the argument "the man" gives, if you've got nothing to hide then you should have no problems giving up your fingerprint, DNA sample or letting us search your car.
    Yeah, I prefer the argument, "I've got nothing to hide, so leave me the **** alone."

Quote Originally Posted by WoBblyCaT View Post
    But it's not like I live off the grid. I have a credit card, I have a Social Insurance #, I have a health card, driver's license, bank account, I file tax returns, a passport, I cross the US-Canada border regularly, etc. It's not like I'm not on file already. The only danger I see if someone with the same fingerprints or iris gets into trouble.
    You have to consider the use of the internet, texting, telephone and social networks as well. As much as you'd like to live off the grid, it's next to impossible these days. The most important thing is that you have the freedom to choose whether you want to give the "man" an image of your iris and finger prints or not. No one is forcing you to do so and that's an important difference. Perhaps the "man" will give you extra-special attention and scrutiny because you're not in the system. Bottom line is, once you enter customs, nexus card or not, your in the soup. They can take your finger prints, scan you irus, take a dna sample and invade your orifices. There's no escape or turning back.

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    You're letting the US government have your fingerprints and a scan of your retina? Voluntarily? Just for convenience?

Like I said before, if you cross any border, you risk giving up all those things and more, whether you permit it or not - once you enter primary inspection, there's no turning back, until they're finished with you. The nexus card save you a lot of time by expediting your processing through customs. I've waited more than an hour in some instances waiting to go through customs. I hate waiting in line.

The questions CAN get intersting.

Quote Originally Posted by promac View Post
    Like I said before, if you cross any border, you risk giving up all those things and more, whether you permit it or not - once you enter primary inspection, there's no turning back, until they're finished with you. The nexus card save you a lot of time by expediting your processing through customs. I've waited more than an hour in some instances waiting to go through customs. I hate waiting in line.
    Risking giving those things is one thing. Voluntarily handing it over is another. I may be forced to give it, at some time in the future. If that happens, I may even let them. But I'm not volunteering it. And if they ask, you can always choose to "withdraw" your application to cross the border.

How did it go?

What were the questions?
    Sorry, Luke. I'm just doing my job. You gotta appreciate that. Nah, calling it your job don't make it right Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by hdsomeday View Post
    How did it go?

What were the questions?
    It was remarkably easy. It seems the application is where they do all the background checking and the "interview" isn't an interview, it's more like an orientation. The US Border officer asked me 2 questions:
    1. What is your occupation?
    2. Do you have any more questions?

They explained how to use the card when you go through the Nexus line and you don't need to carry your passport when traveling by car, but you do when traveling by air. They also explained a lot of administrative details.

Then I was "interviewed" by the Canadian border officer which was pretty much the same as the US border officer, but from the Canadian perspective. Then he recommended a Mexican restaurant 10 mins away we could go to for lunch.

Now I just have to wait for the card to come in the mail. They're required to say 2 - 4 weeks, but typically it's within the week.

It's also noteworthy that the US border officer said the Niagara Falls Enrollment Centre (where I went) people are a lot more friendly than their counterparts in Fort Erie.

Edit: They don't have an Iris scanning machine at the Niagara Falls Enrollment Centre, but they should be getting it by the end of April 2011. You can go anytime to any entrollment centre (including Pearson Airport) to get it done, and you don't need an appointment. You can also go the day that you're flying out, but just leave enough time for delays.
    Last edited by WoBblyCaT; 04-04-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Added iris scan info

Thanks!!! I had an interview booked in Niagara but missed it (thought I had changed it online to Toronto but it didnt change). I cross at Fort Erie and rebooked it there but they are miserable. I think I will re-re-book it for Niagara.

Quote Originally Posted by promac View Post
    They can take your finger prints, scan you irus, take a dna sample and invade your orifices. There's no escape or turning back.
    Now I really want one. Do they invade more or less often with Nexus?

I've applied so I hope there's no turning back. Just one 25 minute wait @ customs, in the sun, at 32°, melting into a pool of sweat has convinced me $10 a year isn't bad...

Plus the invading.

My experience was the canadian side were super-nice and friendly. The U.S. not so friendly.
    My dirtbike has slicks