Question for those who camp - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for those who camp

Re: Question for those who camp

Bring an air mattress -- definatly recommended

Didn't know what a "Big Agnes" was so I googled it. There seems to be a lot of poor reviews due to leaks and loosing air pressure over night.
    ride - if you want to

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    Didn't know what a "Big Agnes" was so I googled it. There seems to be a lot of poor reviews due to leaks and loosing air pressure over night.
    One of the first batches had some quality control issues with the valve. I haven't heard of many problems with recent ones.
    WeeStrom!

First time I went camping on the bike I bought one of those foam pads because I was too cheap to pay for an air mattress- mistake, at least for me. After riding all day, it's nice to have a comfortable, good night's sleep.

After consultation with a hardcore camping friend, I went to Mountain Equipment and bought:

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core 25x78x2.5 very comfortable. Also picked up the bag that can blow it up and use as a stuff sack too. Takes about 1/3rd the space of the foam:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1279222356447

MEC Oasis 2 long sleeping bag. Light, warm, and only available in a Mango colour that will scare away any bear:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1279222452172

Thermarest pillow.Very comfortable. I highly recommend this.Packs really tight but expands quite a bit in a few minutes. Can't stand air pillows myself:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1279221046159

Outdoor Research Dry Sack 15 Litre.Who wants to put on wet clothes:
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1279222552643

No I don't work for MEC, but I own stock...one share

self-inflating mattress from MEC with a small foam pillow. They both pack up pretty small. I use the same on canoe trips where size and weight of your gear is important too.

Cheapie McDoodle air mattress from CT. Twenty bucks, less on sale. It's flocked for grip on one side and is wide enough for the average man. I found many foam/self inflating mats too narrow for comfort.

The only downside is the air valve: it's specific to the provided bellows foot pump, which is bulky. A Schrader valve would allow the use of my portable compressor.

The trick to air mattress longevity is mentioned in the instructions--don't over pressurize them. Just enough air to suspend you above the ground is ideal. Mine is now three years old.

used to stealth camp with the bicycle, small tent just big enough for 2 of us (no gear), a stove that was used when it was too wet to fire, a grill that could be put over a fire. light pots and pans, thermarest and a great sleeping bag. it was great experience.
    x

Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
    I was worried about this as well but MEC has a great return policy. I blew the mattress up Monday night, layed on it for about an hour while reading a book then put about 50 pounds of weight on the mattress to see if it would leak. Tried it last night and it doesn't seem to have lost any air.

Oomis - "It's a brilliant character bike. It won't be the fastest bike on the street, nor the lightest, nor the best handling, but with pipes it'll sound like God's coming to dinner and he doesn't like what's on the table."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RichinOville View Post
    Thermorest Pro-lite 4. Very light, very thin, extremely comfortable and is covered with a material that is not slippery at all. It stays where I put it and my sleeping bag doesn't slide off of it.
    I used to have a Luxury Camp model that was a thick, heavy POS. I'd slide off of it part way through the night. I don't miss is at all.
    Same. And instead of a tent i use one of these.

http://hennessyhammock.com/

WAYY more comfortable. No rocks/pinecones in your back. Goes up in 5 minutes. Packs down like a pair of jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by dankyyz View Post

WAYY more comfortable. No rocks/pinecones in your back. Goes up in 5 minutes. Packs down like a pair of jeans.
    Have you any experience with this in Provincial Parks? I gave up tring to run small laundry lines because the park workers keep taking them down. .

Smile Re: Question for those who camp

Thermarest - + Thermarest Pillow.

We have six Thermarests after an unpleasant experience with another manufacturer.

Been using Thermarests for longer than I've been riding.

+100

the BEST camping tool i ever bought..
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.

Okay, what's the deal with the HHs? How does you back feel in the morning? I've read quite a bit about them, but remain a bit skeptical. Can you suspend it between a post and motorcycle, or is that asking too much?

Banned

Why do you remain skeptical?

Your back feels amazing in the AM. It's not for everyone. A buddy once commented that he felt claustro in it.

If you are bike camping there is nothing to beat it. The one trick is to keep your back insulated via a thermorest. For comfort and ease of sleeping in ANY forest you cant beat it.

And no. You do need two trees, or something VERY solid like a truck. You pull the main line pretty tight.

You can also hang socks and shirts and such on the line under the tarp, to dry things out.

You should try one.

D

Why do you remain skeptical?

Your back feels amazing in the AM.

You should try one.

D

its true, i feel better waking up in that then my bed,

Im tryin to get the wife to agree on hanging a hammock in the master bed room.. not going over so well thou..
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.

Your back feels amazing in the AM. It's not for everyone.
    I like sleeping on my stomach or lying on a side, so I highly doubt that I would feel amazing in the morning after a night in a hammock...
    I enjoy listening to the radio at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    I like sleeping on my stomach or lying on a side, so I highly doubt that I would feel amazing in the morning after a night in a hammock...
    You can kinda sleep on your side. Ish.

You might be surprised. It's very supportive, and as a result you dont toss/turn very much.

It only takes about 5 minutes to put up, so it's great for roadside catnaps as well.

This is my first year of camping by myself and I am kinda using trial and error with my gear. I bought an Ozark Trail 2 person tent at Wal-mart, goes up easy but a bit bigger than I want to carry.

I also have a Thermo-rest pad but I want to get a smaller one. (Going to MEC this week will be checking out the Big Agnes pad) I have just bougt a MSR tiny stove ( pocket rocket) than you screw into the little canister of fuel

And bought a medium sized Thermaarest compressible pillow, I had one of the smaller ones from Canadian Tire but just didn't cut it.

A small lightweight sleeping bag and a fleece bag liner. I did order last week a Big Agnes solo tent from REI in the states,can't wait to pick it up. Next on the list is a stackable cookset from MEC for about 30.00 bucks.

Pot, cup,spoon all stacks into a stuff sack that doubles as a washbasin.

I wanted a free standing tent, I want to be able to move it around if I want. Hard to find here in Canada though for less than 300.00, unfortunately.

I am slowly finding out what works FOR ME and what doesnt. Like I want a good pillow and am willing to sacrifice a little space for one. A tent that packs really small. Multi purpose items.

I just use soft bags for now, I will be upgrading to hard bags next year I think. What I like about the soft bags are all the tie down points.

I considered a HH, but I think I am to creeped out sleeping by myself in the woods. I like to be in an open spot where I can see who or what is coming! My bf had to camp in the middle of a field last week in Quebec,nothing around him to put a Hammock, what do you do then?

All in all, it seems to be trial and error. I can see that it's prolly going to take me this season to get the right stuff, I think.
    2002 Hayabusa
    2012 Hayabusa
    2015 Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post

I wanted a free standing tent, I want to be able to move it around if I want. Hard to find here in Canada though for less than 300.00, unfortunately.
    Aren't they all free standing? Maybe I don't understand the terminology. Anyway, I picked up the MEC Wanderer2 this spring for a bit over$200. So far so good. Comes in two versions. One is all screen for the hot weather, that's the one I got. Lucky move.
    soaked and upset