HOV lane ticket (in my car) - does it effect insurance?

Thread: HOV lane ticket (in my car) - does it effect insurance?

HOV lane ticket (in my car) - does it effect insurance?

I was driving to school this morning and was late so I hopped in the HOV lane and flew by traffic only to find an OPP car right when I merged back in. I got a ticket for "Improper use of High Occupancy Vehicle Lane - Lone Occupant". Just wondering if this ticket will effect my insurance premiums? I wouldn't think it would since I didn't put anyone in danger, but you never know...

I got it on the 403 in Mississauga, so it's not Toronto by-law... It's a provincial ticket I think. Cop said it's 3 demerit points, fine $110.

Re: HOV lane ticket (in my car) - does it effect insurance?

Every ticket has the potential to affect your insurance premiums.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
    Every ticket has the potential to affect your insurance premiums.
    I believe that is incorrect. To my knowledge, only offences that are "moving violations" can affect insurance rates.

I guess this one would be a moving violation.

Quote Originally Posted by caboose483 View Post
    I believe that is incorrect. To my knowledge, only offences that are "moving violations" can affect insurance rates.

I guess this one would be a moving violation.

Ya, see that's what I mean. I know that with statefarm I had a ticket for not having my licence with me, but that didn't effect my insurance at all. My friend didn't have his insurance slips with him once and got a ticket, also didn't effect insurance. I'm wondering if this falls under same category. I'm gonna call statefarm tomorrow (anonymously of course) and ask them their policy. I'll post back for any other statefarm customers who may ever fall into this situation.

Just got off the phone with an agent... Check this ******** out.

If you are a a "preferred member" statefarm never pulls your Motor Vehicle Record unless you get into an accident. She said that theoretically someone who is preferred could get a ticket every year and it would have NO EFFECT on insurance. However, someone who is not a preferred customer gets their MVR pulled every year and then that will effect insurance.

So I ask her, how do I know if I am preferred or not? Because, if I am preferred I'll pay the ticket and my insurance won't know about it. However, if I am not preferred I'll have to fight this. So how can I find out? - She says I have to call my agent and find out. Well... if I call and find out, and I AM preferred, then I will be admitting I have a ticket and the agent could then ding me for the ticket.

But I need to know whether I'm preferred or not in order to decide whether it's worth it to fight the ticket and spending $300 for representation. This whole thing is messed up!

I know that i have the highest rating you get as a State Farm customer.

But i've been with them for over 5 years, car and bike, perfect record.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan View Post

If you are a a "preferred member" statefarm never pulls your Motor Vehicle Record unless you get into an accident. She said that theoretically someone who is preferred could get a ticket every year and it would have NO EFFECT on insurance. However, someone who is not a preferred customer gets their MVR pulled every year and then that will effect insurance.

So I ask her, how do I know if I am preferred or not? Because, if I am preferred I'll pay the ticket and my insurance won't know about it. However, if I am not preferred I'll have to fight this. So how can I find out? - She says I have to call my agent and find out. Well... if I call and find out, and I AM preferred, then I will be admitting I have a ticket and the agent could then ding me for the ticket.

But I need to know whether I'm preferred or not in order to decide whether it's worth it to fight the ticket and spending $300 for representation. This whole thing is messed up!
    Can you just call and ask if you are a preferred customer, without saying anything about a ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by kellen View Post
    Can you just call and ask if you are a preferred customer, without saying anything about a ticket?
    On the phone:
    Hey Joe (agent's name),
    Hey Mike,

I was talking to a friend he said he's a 'preferred' customer, I started ribbing him about his ego but he wouldn't give in. So, like I was saying, is there a 'preferred' customer rate?

There is???

Wow, okay, I'll apologize to my friend George. So I'm a preferred customer right? I've been driving like a saint, never missed a payment and have been with you guys for a while now.

Ah, good, I thought I would be if he is. Anyway, happy new year man, have a good one Mr Hunt.
    Last edited by Pocket Sprocket; 01-05-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    *gasp*

Thats partially true. I had a number of tickets that statefarm didn't know about, as soon as the recession hit, the insuance companies had to make some money so they ran everyones abstract and they found 4 tickets under my name so the jacked my insurance up $500/month!!!!!! They hadn't checked in over 3 years. I was with them for 8 years and had multi car discounts.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/strictlye/signature.jpg

X ---- > I'm Not here, But I'm there ---> X

I'm pretty sure that's a moving violation ticket...just call up your agent and ask ...

I was driving to school this morning and was late so I hopped in the HOV lane and flew by traffic only to find an OPP car right when I merged back in. I got a ticket for "Improper use of High Occupancy Vehicle Lane - Lone Occupant". Just wondering if this ticket will effect my insurance premiums? I wouldn't think it would since I didn't put anyone in danger, but you never know...

I got it on the 403 in Mississauga, so it's not Toronto by-law... It's a provincial ticket I think. Cop said it's 3 demerit points, fine $110.
    Sorry, I mean no offence. This is actually one of my pet peeves. I'm glad they're actually enforcing this.

CBR 600RR, FZR 600(gone), Banshee 350(sold), Formula 1 Sidecar (Passenger)

Quote Originally Posted by clutch View Post
    Sorry, I mean no offence. This is actually one of my pet peeves. I'm glad they're actually enforcing this.
    +1 agree

sorry OP....+2

+3...
    If you try to make it idiot-proof, someone will just make a better idiot....

I hate people like you (solo driver in the HOV). Also the "preferred member" is referred to as "A Plan" in State Farm.

Quote Originally Posted by WoBblyCaT View Post
    I hate people like you (solo driver in the HOV).
    I didn't know you had it in you Wobbly, the claws have come out!

Of course it's a moving violation... it's not administrative

was the cop alone in his car following you in his cop car in the HOV lane? that might be kind of funny if you see where I'm coming from.
    *gasp*

correct... its a moving violation..

im also happy they enforce it...

you scum of the earth...

Question asked, and answered.
    Insults have begun.
    Thread is done.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde