Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? Fall & Winter 2022 (& 2023!) edition!

PrivatePilot

Ironus Butticus
Site Supporter
It's that time again.

Went out yesterday with a bunch of friends for a 450km loop up north (but we intentionally avoided Algonquin) to catch the tail end of the fall colours.

1666037705654.png

I suspect this will be the last big ride of the year for me at least, barring some unexpectedly warm weather - although this weekend looks good, this weekend is out for me personally.

Still lots of colours to be seen, but the windstorm on Saturday had knocked a lot of the leaves down...but still nice in a lot of areas.

1666038051045.png

Sure was glad to have a good complement of heated gear for cold weather riding. T-Maxx thermal long long johns, heated vest under my textile jacket with the liner in, heated grips, and wool socks...and I was toasty the whole day despite the pretty much constant overcast and heading out at about 6 degrees LOL.

So, who's out there still?

Last edited:
This week looks rainy, but if its dry I'll be out there

Mebbe not - third La Nina in a row ....so could be a mild winter.
La Niña Explained
"It tends to feature a lot more temperature variability for us, and you tend to have faster-moving systems and a lot more weather systems with it," explained Kistner. La Niña winters here in the northeast tend to feature above-average temperatures; we certainly saw that back in December.

so could be a mild winter

Farmers almanac is calling for a snowmageddon winter. The forecasters seem to agree. With lots of snow courtesy lake effect from those possibly warmer temps.

Who knows. I think they're all throwing darts at the dart board sometimes.

Farmers??? yep
But there is 5% more moisture in the atmosphere so precip gets more intense - not necessarily more frequent.
A lot depends on the Polar Vortex as well which is not impacted by La Nina.
A polar express blasting across unfrozen lakes = lotsa snow.

Was out last week, but this week probablly not. Aiming for something next week, weather looks to be turning around then.

Was out Sunday.
Oshawa to Minden lookout via Deep Bay Rd,. then Haliburton to Bobcaygen via 3 and 507.
507 was in the best shape I've ever seen - they've even painted lines on the newly tar&sealed
section. Most of the oncoming vehicles actually stayed in their own lane thru the corners.
A brisk morning, but comfortable with the right gear (and bike). maybe 420-430kms.
Not a great ride, but a good one.

I'm definitely riding until November. Once you dress up nicely and endure the cold initial wind your body becomes numb and even warm while riding at 5 C.

Farmers almanac is calling for a snowmageddon winter. The forecasters seem to agree. With lots of snow courtesy lake effect from those possibly warmer temps.

Who knows. I think they're all throwing darts at the dart board sometimes.
As a sledder I've been sucked into the snowmageddon hype many times but have yet to see it come to fruition.

I'm definitely riding until November. Once you dress up nicely and endure the cold initial wind your body becomes numb and even warm while riding at 5 C.
Pegassus - This needs more explanation.
I have an electric vest Warmth but no numbness.

Fall colour rides are over rated. Here in SWO I'm contemplating a ride to check out the various shades of brown in the fields of standing corn.

As a sledder I've been sucked into the snowmageddon hype many times but have yet to see it come to fruition.

There’s a reason I’m not a sledder anymore and bought jetskis instead - always had trouble finding snow in the last few years I rode. Never had trouble finding water.

1666206239017.jpeg

The season is twelve months.

I will continue to ride. December, January, February, I will ride. Not frequently, not regularly, but I will ride in each of those months.

If sledders can manage colder temperatures, so can we.

I always figured it's more a matter of traction than temperature. I can dress warm enough but traction in snow and ice without studs? What's the secret there?

Was out on the road today
(After 10 km of spirited riding, had to turn on the grip warmers)

Looks like one heck of a nice weekend (time of year considered) for riding. Unfortunately I can't take advantage of it.

Back
Top Bottom