US is ****** | Page 112 | GTAMotorcycle.com

US is ******

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Once the person being brought in in the ambulance is through triage and stable (or DOA, whichever come first), then treat the cannon fodder.

It's like a similar but different version of the Trolly Problem. If there's a t-bone collision at an intersection and both drivers are injured, should you treat the one with the worse injuries first or the one that was going through the intersection on the green and injured by no fault of their own?
Interesting scenario. My knee jerk would say treat the innocent party first but triage isn't supposed to be judgmental. What if there were extenuating circumstances? Both could be dead by the time an accurate conclusion was reached.

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
Interesting scenario. My knee jerk would say treat the innocent party first but triage isn't supposed to be judgmental. What if there were extenuating circumstances? Both could be dead by the time an accurate conclusion was reached.
In most similar situations, the only practical approach is treatment based on medical triage. Anything approaching the truth of who was guilty or innocent wont be locked down until well after the casualties no longer require on-scene care.

Baggsy

Site Supporter

Green Meenie

I lived in Manhattan Beach CA for a few years, movie stars, rich athletes, and privileged youngsters that inherited a life that most can never dream of. 2km back from the beach was Inglewood, one of the roughest and toughest areas of LA. It's not uncommon for wealthy areas to be 'across the tracks', from the poorest - that's urban life, urban ghettos/barrios in between wealthy areas. .

As a kid, I lived in a very poor part of Toronto, Swansea. Same thing, poor adjacent to rich.

If you have traveled the world's major cities you will see the same things in a lot of places. My guess is you are not well traveled in Canada -- next tile you are in Winnipeg, take a walk thru the North end, in Vancouver Grenville and Davie, or Toronto Jarvis and Gerrard, Ottawa Vanier. If you need more, let me know the next place you are going and I'll give you a walking tour that will open your eyes.
This point was made starkly clear to me earlier this year when traveling through Brazil. Every city we visited was similar. Classy, glass & chrome condos, high end shops and restaurants between the street and the beach/coast. Cross that street and start wandering up any road and this is what you'll see:

People just drop and sleep whenever they get tired enough;
DSCF1990.JPG

The upper crust poor actually had a shelter from the sun, heat and rain!
DSCF1992.JPG

nobbie48

Site Supporter
This point was made starkly clear to me earlier this year when traveling through Brazil. Every city we visited was similar. Classy, glass & chrome condos, high end shops and restaurants between the street and the beach/coast. Cross that street and start wandering up any road and this is what you'll see:

People just drop and sleep whenever they get tired enough;
View attachment 44966

The upper crust poor actually had a shelter from the sun, heat and rain!
View attachment 44967
A friend worked down there for a couple of years and commented on tourists getting mugged. Some thought wearing grubby clothes would keep them from standing out but they still got mugged.

They wore shoes.

crankcall

Site Supporter
Mother in law was mugged in Brazil and Father in law in Chile, when the muggers have nothing, everything looks like a target and when they see you coming up the street from the cruise ship harbor, they know you have a 5-6 hr window in port and aren't going to report anything. You'll get back on your boat and order prime rib at dinner and extra scotch to forget the awful day you had LOL.

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
A friend worked down there for a couple of years and commented on tourists getting mugged. Some thought wearing grubby clothes would keep them from standing out but they still got mugged.

They wore shoes.
If I am going somewhere really shady, I have a travel wallet. It has some expired cards and a bit of local currency in it. Any purchases on any real value come from a more secure location. If someone wants the wallet, they can have it. My pockets are now empty, leave me alone.

regder

Site Supporter

nobbie48

Site Supporter
A lot of people don't understand the difference a fraction of a degree makes. At +0.2 C precipitation falls as rain and may cause a flood. At - 0.2 C it falls as snow or freezing rain. The load factor of freezing rain takes out power lines and trees.

If I dropped a big bucketful of + 0.2 degree H2O on someone they would be mad and wet. A -0.2 C they would have a concussion.

Insects that are mostly killed off by cold temperatures have higher survival rates and rates increase exponentially. They eat things that we would like to preserve, like tree leaves.

Possums are relatively common in southern Ontario. Not so a generation ago. What's next? Killer bees, murder hornets?

On the warmer side there are starving polar bears. Oh well, not in my back yard.

jc100

A lot of people don't understand the difference a fraction of a degree makes. At +0.2 C precipitation falls as rain and may cause a flood. At - 0.2 C it falls as snow or freezing rain. The load factor of freezing rain takes out power lines and trees.

If I dropped a big bucketful of + 0.2 degree H2O on someone they would be mad and wet. A -0.2 C they would have a concussion.

Insects that are mostly killed off by cold temperatures have higher survival rates and rates increase exponentially. They eat things that we would like to preserve, like tree leaves.

Possums are relatively common in southern Ontario. Not so a generation ago. What's next? Killer bees, murder hornets?

On the warmer side there are starving polar bears. Oh well, not in my back yard.
Malaria mosquitoes have been creeping northwards for a while now. We already have rare cases of west Nile virus and that’s a tropical disease. Some things are irrefutable, others are ignorable by some because it’s like the frog in boiling water vs one in water being boiled. You don’t notice it’s dangerous until it’s too late.

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Malaria mosquitoes have been creeping northwards for a while now. We already have rare cases of west Nile virus and that’s a tropical disease. Some things are irrefutable, others are ignorable by some because it’s like the frog in boiling water vs one in water being boiled. You don’t notice it’s dangerous until it’s too late.
I used to drive to Toledo Ohio about once a month. In the spring and fall there was a marked difference in foliage.

DownUnder

Maleria is crazy rare in North America and almost all cases are people that got it somewhere else and came here sick. West nile is spread by migratory birds (canada geese etc) that fly south and bring it back. There are signs of climate change around us but those two illnesses aren't some.

Trials

I'm shocked!
I thought for sure Trump would ask if they ever considered building a great big refrigerator and putting the earth inside it, but instead he just laughed off climate change and said some day it will just go away :unsure: like a plague.

jc100

Maleria is crazy rare in North America and almost all cases are people that got it somewhere else and came here sick. West nile is spread by migratory birds (canada geese etc) that fly south and bring it back. There are signs of climate change around us but those two illnesses aren't some.
actually they are..the northward boundary of malaria is defined by the habitat that the parasite can live in which is climate dependant...that is more northerly than it has been now.

Edit...we aren’t talking about Malaria in NY state. This is very small increments and not due to eradication efforts failing.

Last edited:

jc100

More climate change tidbits...

french farmers bought portions of southern English farmland to grow champagne grapes.....the soil is the same as in the champagne region and the climate has shifted enough slightly that this is now viable.

GreyGhost

Site Supporter
More climate change tidbits...

french farmers bought portions of southern English farmland to grow champagne grapes.....the soil is the same as in the champagne region and the climate has shifted enough slightly that this is now viable.
Is that still champagne? Does the cartel require 100% of grapes be grown in the region or can they sprinkle in a percentage from elsewhere?

bitzz

Is that still champagne ? Does the cartel require 100% of grapes be grown in the region or can they sprinkle in a percentage from elsewhere?
"champagne" grapes are mostly from North America. The great 'blight" in the mid 1800's wiped out most French vine yards and they imported grape stock from Niagrara
...but yes, TRUE champagne only comes from the Champagne region

OH... and the English invented champagne... sorta.
The French made a sparkling white wine BUT the carbonation blew up the bottles BEFORE you could call it champagne. The Brits figured out how to make a thicker bottle so the fermentation process could complete, and stay inside the bottle.

... and a large percentage of the "real" Italian parmesan cheese is made by Indians

Top Bottom