US is ****** | Page 110 | GTAMotorcycle.com

US is ******

hdsomeday

Site Supporter
If I recall correctly, in one or more the 'famous' cases, a taser was used at least once with 'no effect'. Also, I believe one officer is tasked with tasing while the other(s) wait for reaction so there wouldnt be any time involved to switch to a gun if required.

jc100

I was sort of being facetious...tranquilizer darts are filled with molecular variants of morphine and morphine suppresses respiration. Probably not a good thing if you don’t know the medical history of the criminal. Interestingly (well for me anyway) we know the rules of how to tweak structure to vary the power of these morphine variants. That’s how we ended up with fentanyl.

nobbie48

Site Supporter
In "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell he outlines the chain of events in a New York incident where four cops shot an unarmed immigrant to death and were exonerated.

The immigrant had just stepped out of his overheated apartment for a breath of fresh air as an unmarked police car with four plain clothes cops on board cruised by.

They thought he looked suspicious and ran at him. He panicked and ran, fumbling for his door key and they thought he was going for a gun. One of the cops tripped and his gun went off. The others thought he had been shot and they blasted away.

It came out that the cops acted as expected under the circumstances.

The problem was a show of force caused an excessive reaction that escalated the show of force etc.

If it was a marked car with one cop that cautiously reviewed the situation before acting it would have ended with a "Have a good night"

Personally I don't think the dinosaurs at the top understand that jackboots don't work. They see that changing their attitude is an admission of error. Admitting errors is a no-no if you want to climb the ladder.

jc100

In "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell he outlines the chain of events in a New York incident where four cops shot an unarmed immigrant to death and were exonerated.

The immigrant had just stepped out of his overheated apartment for a breath of fresh air as an unmarked police car with four plain clothes cops on board cruised by.

They thought he looked suspicious and ran at him. He panicked and ran, fumbling for his door key and they thought he was going for a gun. One of the cops tripped and his gun went off. The others thought he had been shot and they blasted away.

It came out that the cops acted as expected under the circumstances.

The problem was a show of force caused an excessive reaction that escalated the show of force etc.

If it was a marked car with one cop that cautiously reviewed the situation before acting it would have ended with a "Have a good night"

Personally I don't think the dinosaurs at the top understand that jackboots don't work. They see that changing their attitude is an admission of error. Admitting errors is a no-no if you want to climb the ladder.

I think that’s precisely the issue though, there’s a pervasive culture of machismo hat overrides common sense at times.

regder

Site Supporter

DownUnder

Couldn't find the direct audio released by Woodward that's not behind a paywall, so here are some sound bytes. I'm sure someone on Facebook is calling it fake news by the MSM anyways

Wait, I'm not a trump fan and could care less about the states, but "did nothing"? He put a travel ban in place before that interview and before almost any other country and everyone said he was overreacting and was called a racist for doing so...

Meanwhile China puts a domestic travel ban on Wuhan while allowing international flights in and out and is touted heroes for their response by the WHO...

nobbie48

Site Supporter
Wait, I'm not a trump fan and could care less about the states, but "did nothing"? He put a travel ban in place before that interview and before almost any other country and everyone said he was overreacting and was called a racist for doing so...

Meanwhile China puts a domestic travel ban on Wuhan while allowing international flights in and out and is touted heroes for their response by the WHO...

Good point. When in a serious honest debate it goes against you when you hide facts because they're inconvenient.

We have a tendency to exaggerate, he did nothing etc.

While avoiding a panic is wise Trump failed to up the response as the risks became apparent.

What are his choices eight weeks before the election? Admit he's a screw up or defuse by deception?

Trials

Very rough odds are ~1 in 43,280 he will contract covid and die.

Robbo

There is a February 7th recording where Trump states the virus is transmitted through the air and how deadly it is. He knew it was serious.
I agree “Did nothing” is the wrong wording.
There is a lot that he could and should have done to protect the American people, but chose not to.
The media is having a field day with all sorts of video sound bytes throughout the last 7 months of what Trump says in public vs what he knows and is recorded in private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trials

Why are ya'll still trying to blame geographical political leaders for being hit by a world wide pandemic :unsure:
:/ shouldn't we all be working as a species to fix that problem? wtf good is blaming somebody for being human after the fact,
blame them for not getting on with the tasks at hand to fix things.

They just finished resurfacing most of county road 4 from Arden to Puzzle Lake with chips and tar,
don't try riding it for a while unless you want a thrill, or to undercoat your motorcycle.

jc100

Put a travel ban in because it was that serious but then proceeded to do diddly squat domestically because it wasn’t.

Its like the broken clock that’s right twice a day. It’s still broken.

Edit: that travel ban was more to do with politics and trade agreements with a side of racism than anything else in my mind. Subsequent actions by the administration seem to back that up.

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Doublethink time. How "left" can you go?

University campus hosts whites-only cafe in the name of equality

J_F

gringo diablo
Site Supporter
dig a little deeper

while a monumentally stupid idea
there are no, and will be no, physical, segregated, cafes

the choice of the word cafe was a poor one
these are virtual gatherings via video conference
like, covid times eh?

and as it's de ri·gueur these days to have non-white social stuff
in the name of inclusivity, they decided to have an exclusive white only one

but let's not let facts get in the way of a MAGA fake outrage story
lemme guess, you got that from facebook?

boyoboy

sounds open to everyone who doesn't see themselves as colored...white brown or black?

J_F

gringo diablo
Site Supporter
more craziness from the cheesehead state

state supreme court has ruled along party lines - 4 to 3
that the mailing of absentee ballots must be halted

Conservative judges carried the majority under the guise
that the Green Party candidate must be included on the ballot

so the GOP now supports the Green Party?
what a ****-show

regder

Site Supporter

Mad Mike

In
Good read

Interesting...sadly believable.

I watch the US news biggies from time to time, CNN, MSNBC and Fox just to see what perspective people are getting. Having lived there 1/2 my adult life, I know the only news they impartially report is weather, sports and aploitical disasters like plane crashes and wildfires. Those only fills a few minutes each hour, the rest is political tripe.

I can understand why so many Americans don't trust the US mainstream media. I also understand why so many outside the USA have such a warped perspective as to what it's like to live there -- perspectives formed off what they are see through a CNN's or FOX's lens.

regder

Site Supporter
have such a warped perspective as to what it's like to live there -- perspectives formed off what they are see through a CNN's or FOX's lens.

Is it that warped though? The US has some very serious problems that at the very least need some discussion if not direct action. Ignoring them and perpetuating the status quo will not end well, as we see with the current situation.

I've never lived there, but have travelled the USA fairly well. I distinctly remember my first road trip in the US almost 20 years ago. I was absolutely shocked at the abject poverty throughout every major city I drove though, and then I got lost in the poor part of Philadelphia... I don't get scared easily, but I sure as hell made sure to lock the car doors and not make eye contact. A few years later I was visiting California for the first time, imagine my surprise at what I saw when I set my gps to downtown LA.

As a kid that grew up on Hollywood movies and Baywatch, even one that paid decent attention to the news, I was not ready for the reality of some of USA's problems

On the flip side, the media's intense focus on our differing politics and not our shared humanity is really hurting everyone. I try to remind myself regularly that some of the kindest, most generous, people are the ones that I might not share political views with. Those same people spouting QAnon theories, and saying masks are the first steps to Nazi germany, remove politics from the conversation and they will likely give you the shirt off their back if you asked.

Top Bottom