Sigh Ninja 250 not starting today... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sigh Ninja 250 not starting today...

You probably need a new battery I find if not maintained over the winter I need to buy a new one every year. If charged every couple of weeks they last for years.
How can I test it to see if it's still good or not?

If you have a multimeter test the votage, it should be around 12v then crank the starter and it shouldent drop below 10v. The battery is fine, if anything its just dead and needs to be charged.

you should really just invest in a battery charger. ctire puts good one son for $30 all the time and it'll make your life easier at times likes this.
instead of transporting the battery to a trickle charger, just go buy one.

you should really just invest in a battery charger. ctire puts good one son for $30 all the time and it'll make your life easier at times likes this.
instead of transporting the battery to a trickle charger, just go buy one.

Yea But I'm broke so I'm charging it at my folks now.

There we go Charged my battery at my folks and got it back into the bike in time for a nice little ride today :)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUdge

... So i just went out to start up my bike and the battery is dead again!! WTF

I had the battery tested and they told me it was good, and was holding a charge.
They only thing that is connected to my battery is my alarm, same one that I used all last year with no issues.
I turn my bike off with the key after putting it in neutral, then lock the steering so nothing else should be draining anything from it.
Could it be a bad battery then? even tho when I got it tested they told me it was fine and holding a charge? perhaps my alternator is messed up?

:-( I don't know if i should order a new battery or what Please advise.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUdge

... So i just went out to start up my bike and the battery is dead again!! WTF

I had the battery tested and they told me it was good, and was holding a charge.
They only thing that is connected to my battery is my alarm, same one that I used all last year with no issues.
I turn my bike off with the key after putting it in neutral, then lock the steering so nothing else should be draining anything from it.
Could it be a bad battery then? even tho when I got it tested they told me it was fine and holding a charge? perhaps my alternator is messed up?

:-( I don't know if i should order a new battery or what Please advise.
Motorcycle batterys are easily damaged by not maintaining them, charge it one more time and then check the voltage with the bike off it should be around 12.6, any lower and you need a new battery. Now with check the voltage when starting the bike it should not fall below 12V if it does time for a new battery. Next with bike running around 3000 rpm it should be over 13v if it is the bike is OK, lower and your charging sytem needs fixed . Now disconect your alarm and let the bike sit overnight if it is dead in the morning you need a new battery (internal short in battery from sitting without a charge). If not your alarm is the issue.
BTW http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/BatteryAccessories/BatteryChargers/PRD~0111506P/Motomaster%252BEliminator%252BIntelligent%252BBattery%252BCharger%25252C%252B2A.jsp?locale=en
is cheaper than buying a battery every year
Royal distributing is way cheaper than CT for batteries but CT is probably closer to you.

Motorcycle batterys are easily damaged by not maintaining them, charge it one more time and then check the voltage with the bike off it should be around 12.6, any lower and you need a new battery. Now with check the voltage when starting the bike it should not fall below 12V if it does time for a new battery. Next with bike running around 3000 rpm it should be over 13v if it is the bike is OK, lower and your charging sytem needs fixed . Now disconect your alarm and let the bike sit overnight if it is dead in the morning you need a new battery (internal short in battery from sitting without a charge). If not your alarm is the issue.
BTW http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/BatteryAccessories/BatteryChargers/PRD~0111506P/Motomaster%252BEliminator%252BIntelligent%252BBattery%252BCharger%25252C%252B2A.jsp?locale=en
is cheaper than buying a battery every year
Royal distributing is way cheaper than CT for batteries but CT is probably closer to you.

Thanks Scuba, I'm going to try that out on Monday. - I was quote $57 for a battery from my local bike shop, Thought that was a good deal, if it is the case of needing a new one.

That is a good price and good luck with the trouble shooting, hopefully it is just a bad battery.

Well I went into crappytire to get them to recharge my batter, Was waiting in line for 20-30mins and was mm ok Well I'm gonna go pick up a tender and a meter and come back... the meter and tender together where about $60 something So i decided just to buy a new battery and see if it works as it was cheaper and if that's all I needed the tender and meter would be a waste of money for me(As I can use my dads anytime I want) So I got my new battery in there now, and told them what Was going on and they offered to put a meter up to my bike as soon as I come back with it in to make sure there was nothing wrong with my alternator. As I got the old battery tested and it was "good" I was worried it was something else. :) Thanks again.

It's possibly your alarm that eats the battery. Try checking to see if the alarm has a power saving mode or something similar, if not, you probably need to ride more, or have 2 batteries that you can swap in & out for regular charging.

Ok, so on may the 2nd I got a new battery, everything has been working fine. Then Sunday(15th) I rode my bike to the track and when starting it up to leave the battery was dead again! UGH! So I got a buddy there to give me a boost! Thanks again! .. Rode to my parents from there (hour ride) Then after visiting with them for a hour or two, got back on my bike went to the gas station and went to start my bike up again after getting gas and it was a no go. So I called my dad and got him to drive over (gas station was 5mins from my parents place) and give me a another boost. This Time I disconnected the alarm to see if that would solve the issue. Drove home from the gas station to my place in London(just over a hour ride) Woke up today, went out and started my bike up! YAY went over to the docs for a check up, and I come out of the docs office and it's a no go again...
Was able to jump start it there as there was abit of a hill that I was able to run down with the bike, So now I'm back home going to take out the battery and bring it inside to charge it with a trickle charger I borrowed from my dad.

Any suggestions to what it can be? I'm thinking a short in a wire somewhere maybe?

*Note when I got the new battery on the bike I put a meter to it and it was getting 14v. when revving the engine so I don't think it's the alternator.

Check the battery connections sound like a loose wire. Is the bike turning over slow or just clicking or nothing? If nothing then check your kill switch.

It's just clicking, I have the battery charging up again atm, the wire to the battery was connect nice and tight. So that wasn't loose, perhaps it's loose else where.

Just looked over @ the battery and it saids it's fully charged. Must be a loose wire then.... I'm gonna give the wires a good look over the best I can and see if I see anything.

I put the battery back in, tried to start it and it almost started right away, but didn't tried a few more times and it wouldn't crank over. - I couldn't see any loose wires without taking the whole bike apart, Guess I'm gonna need to get it to a shop for them to look at it for me.

lol my buddy came by and wanted to hear what it was doing when I try to start it so I tried again and it started first go.

... loose wire does make a lot of sense now. Thanks scuba I'll take off my fairings off and that tomorrow so I can see if I see anything loose before I take it in to the shop.

Now just don't turn the bike off.

Problem solved, mechanic money saved. You're welcome.

Back
Top Bottom