River Road and Prince of Wales road. | GTAMotorcycle.com

River Road and Prince of Wales road.

Yeah I was up there yesterday and was going to post this information. I modified my route and carried on, but the large group sitting at River Road and Prince of Wales was having some discussions about which way to go. There must have been 15 or 20 riders in that group and not much social distancing.

Was there yesterday as well. RR closed east of Terra Nova only.

Lucky for me its just 18min from my house?!

I was up there on Saturday and noticed this, they havent knocked down the bridge yet but apparently this will be going until September :( Super disappointing as this is a fun little after work ride for me. Guess we will have to hit Creemore now instead haha

Update.

Prince of Wales road is open. Both ways. Coming from 10. When you get to River road you must turn left. Saw loads of us on it yesterday.

Bridge is being worked on and no way you can travel past it. Unless, you have wings.

Open end to end. Not sure the locals are happy.
However, I respect the speed limit and a few of them actually waved at me. Not the finger. Lol.
Not a good place to go nuts. Po Po. watching.
Tbh I liked the de tour. Practically no traffic on it.

Open end to end. Not sure the locals are happy.
However, I respect the speed limit and a few of them actually waved at me. Not the finger. Lol.
Not a good place to go nuts. Po Po. watching.
Tbh I liked the de tour. Practically no traffic on it.
Was up there on Sunday and wasn't open then; good to hear they finished the bridge reconstruction early. River Road is one of my favourite roads and while I ride more conservatively keeping it within 20kph over, I think I've only seen OPP on it a handful of times over the past 15 years or so. The bigger problem is Second Line East has also been a favourite ever since it was paved about 10 years ago and now everyone knows about it because it was part of the detour.

Tried River Rd first in the Mustang from the west and didn't get too far before it was closed. A few weeks later, figured I'd try it from the east in the car again and same didn't get as far as I'd hoped before it was closed.

The road is meh in my opinion from what I drove … shoulders are gravel and you never know if you'll hit some on the road and the road's narrow.

I'll take Hockley Rd any day of the week although for a more leisurely pace, I can see River Rd being ok for that. If it wasn't so far up north from the GTA, I'd maybe give it another shot on the bike.

Rode Forks last weekend for the first time in a while and if I recall correctly, the speed limit is down to 40 now??

Anything like Hockley Rd around with fast sweepers?

Going to add also for the day trip heading North going through Singhampton. Just past the gas station is now one way traffic with traffic lights added. About 5-10 minute wait. Then to make matters worse shortly after you turn right onto 26 heading East. Nasty road works. Again with one way traffic. Wait time 10-15 minutes. Imagine will be a lot worse when the weekend traffic starts.

Was up there on Sunday and wasn't open then; good to hear they finished the bridge reconstruction early. River Road is one of my favourite roads and while I ride more conservatively keeping it within 20kph over, I think I've only seen OPP on it a handful of times over the past 15 years or so. The bigger problem is Second Line East has also been a favourite ever since it was paved about 10 years ago and now everyone knows about it because it was part of the detour.

Yes, Tbh I was not going to mention the detour route, however, it is no longer a secret. They actually fixed two bridges. A couple of heavy machines still there but tucked away. You must be lucky with the PO PO. Must be my bike because it is red. Lol.

I was on Prices of Wales Road yesterday. OPP were out and about. They were sitting at Primrose school.

Yes, Tbh I was not going to mention the detour route, however, it is no longer a secret. They actually fixed two bridges. A couple of heavy machines still there but tucked away. You must be lucky with the PO PO. Must be my bike because it is red. Lol.
Yeah, red bikes tend to stand out!
ST1100.jpg
However, mine is also very quiet and that has helped me on more than one occasion. I'm retired and typically prefer to ride on weekdays because there is less traffic and fewer OPP.

Tried River Rd first in the Mustang ...

The road is meh in my opinion from what I drove …
So with the reports of River Rd being fully open I decided to try it again in the car yesterday AM and I take the "meh" comment back. It's actually longer than I expected with plenty of curves and little to no traffic - slower ones than Hockley Rd but still enjoyable.

I look forward to taking the bike up there … the heavens opened up so glad I was in the car.

I look forward to taking the bike up there … the heavens opened up so glad I was in the car.
If you're riding eastbound be very careful on the second right-hander after Prince of Wales. That turn is well polished and usually covered in sand from cars that run onto the shoulder. I've had to stop there a few times to help a rider that either lowsided or just plain rode straight into the ditch on the other side of the road.

Thanks for the tip @Malks. (y) I'll take it from Airport Rd and go west.

I`m still waiting to go ski ing. Kudos to you for being out there. I`ll keep my sliding to the mountains, Hills?

Back
Top Bottom