Post up your liquor/spirit talk ? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post up your liquor/spirit talk ?

quite interesting but not shipping to Canada yet?

This is something that tends to be an issue when I find something I like. Either no shipping to Canada or it’s crazy expensive for shipping. This is a problem when lcbo doesn’t carry your brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liquor and spirits are a huge topic. All the options are interesting too... across the spectrum from local to international, cheap to expensive, and/or common to rare. Contributions here will help with my own personal future considerations so thx (like the cocktail thread). All source tips are especially appreciated! I like local availability but have no problem hunting when that's not an option.

I like the pricey stuff but also saving money. Sticking with the good value side, let me circle back to Bulleit Bourbon and Woodford Reserve Bourbon with more info. Both are well known quality american whiskeys with the added bonus of Wikipedia pages. They're a good read for those interested in spirit information and history.

Proof66.com, a review aggregator for spirits, rates Bulleit bourbon in the top 10th percentile of the world's best whiskeys. The Bulleit Rye Whiskey is also rated a "Top Tier Whiskey". Proof66.com rates Bulleit Bourbon 10 Year as a "Tier 1" spirit with an overall rating of 551/904. Bulleit Bourbon 10 Year received a gold medal in the Small Batch Bourbon up to 10 yrs category at the 2013 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Food critic Morgan Murphy said "This amber beauty, with its notes of spice, rye, and cedar, packs a stronger bite than its sweet aroma would imply."

International Spirit ratings organizations and liquor review bodies have generally given Woodford Reserve solid scores. At the San Francisco World Spirits Competition, Woodford Reserve's best performances have been in 2005 and 2013, winning a double gold medal each time. It has also won gold (2006–2007, 2011–2012) and silver (2008, 2010) medals at this annual event. The Beverage Testing Institute has given the Reserve scores of between 90 and 91 and Wine Enthusiast awarded it a 90–95 point rating. Spirits ratings aggregator proof66.com, which averages scores from the San Francisco World Spirits Competition, Wine Enthusiast, the Beverage Testing Institute, and others, ranks Woodford Reserve in its highest ("Tier 1") scoring category.

The bourbon Wikipedia page is a good read too.

I've tried ~5 other bourbons but it still isn't much experience. Buffalo Trace was nice stuff. The LCBO has a nice selection, including Woodford Reserve and Bulleit (excellent value in the $40-$50 range for a spirit).

Have a great weekend.

Last edited:
Recommendations for an everyday Gin and Vodka for use in tonic mixes? Along the same price point of Finladia and Bombay which I'm currently almost out of. Just curious on options and reviews.

Recommendations for an everyday Gin and Vodka for use in tonic mixes? Along the same price point of Finladia and Bombay which I'm currently almost out of. Just curious on options and reviews.

Just go through the regulars for Gin, Gordon’s is fine for G&Ts. Tanqueray for a little step up. Tanqueray has a few levels I think.

My wife is part Polish and I really like Wyborowka vodka (which she approves of), beware, lots of pricey vodka brands are heavily marketed but don’t perform any better on blind taste challenges than some of the midrange ones. For something different try Zubrowka vodka with the bison grass inside. It has a really neat flavour.

I look forward to all the Gin suggestions. I did Bombay Sapphire forever, then took a step back to and embraced London Dry style (after some reading). It's spectacularly good, especially so for the inexpensive price. I use it in all my Gin cocktail posts on GTAM, including G&T, the martinis and the Negroni. I find Gin (as a spirit) to be underrated and great value... you can get more-for-less with Gin than most other spirits/liquors. Check out the cocktail thread too for G&T pours, spirits and suggestions.

Last edited:
I look forward to all the Gin suggestions. I did Bombay Sapphire forever, then took a step back to and embraced London's Dry (after some reading). It's spectacularly good for the price, which is not very expensive. I use it in all my Gin cocktail posts on GTAM, including G&T, the martinis and the Negroni. I find Gin (as a spirit) to be underrated and great value... you can get more-for-less with Gin than most other spirits/liquors. Check out the cocktail thread too for G&T pours, spirits and suggestions.
I mentioned Steinhart Gin (made in NS) and highly recommend it as a pricier selection.

If you want a decent gin that's not really priced any differently than your average bottle, I like the New Amsterdam.
It's not juniper heavy at all, much more citrus.
Gin snobs will hate it, but if you want something a bit different, it fits the bill.

I picked up an Italian gin that was very citrus forward, hate it. Cant even bury it in a cocktail, its just odd to my palate. I've been on Hendricks for years and recently started drinking Dillons, feeling I should support Ontario. Its adequiet at best.

I keep on meaning to try Ungava gin and Zubrowka vodka, keep hearing good things about both but haven't tried yet.

I keep on meaning to try Ungava gin and Zubrowka vodka, keep hearing good things about both but haven't tried yet.
I'm neutral on Ungava. The inlaws love G+T and hate Ungava. I finished the bottle I had and probably won't buy another.

I picked up some Bulleit bourbon. It was a decent price, about the same as Makers Mark. I was going to get a refill of the Legent but balked at the $60 price today as I also refilled the wife’s Chardonnay habit. Basil Hayden was $54

Neat to see all the gin talk. Gin is a spirit I haven't sampled as broadly as others. Helpful talk.

I forgot to give specific feedback on Bulleit and Woodford Reserve Bourbons. Both are great but different. I find Bulleit sweeter, and it makes sense with higher rye content. Woodford Reserve is less sweet, which I find brings in a bolder flavour profile (and more flavours). I sip both neat or with a few drops of water, and often use Bulleit in cocktails. If sampling both spirits (not in cocktails) I recommend starting with the Woodford Reserve... you'll really see the difference with Bulleit being sweeter. The Woodford Reserve colour looks different than the same pouring of Bulleit too.

Upping the budget and circling back to my earlier post discussing Clase Azul tequila, I'll add that I also acquired some quality scotch whisky. It's an extensive and prestigious award winner.... including best whisky in the world (Whisky Bible). Ardbeg Ten Years Old; available at the LCBO. I love it, one of the best I've ever had. I always keep a couple around. This is a world class peaty Islay single malt. Not chill filtered, and moving up towards cask strength at 46% abv.

Wikipedia page with talk about the Ten Year Old. It's interesting and a good read (history, etc.).
For peat lovers, Ardbeg 10 Year Old is probably the highest-quality 'entry-level' single malt on the market, and the distillery many Islay connoisseurs would choose as their favourite. A whirlwind of peat and complex malty flavours.

A phenomenal whisky packing powerful peaty deliciousness, Ardbeg 10 Year Old is a favourite of many whisky lovers around the world. Produced on the Kildalton Coast of Islay, this single malt matures for a decade before being bottled without any chill-filtration. If you're after a whisky with full of coastal air, smoke and more, this is exactly what you want. Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt.
Nose: A ridge of vanilla leads to mountain of peat capped with citrus fruits and circled by clouds of sea spray. Palate: Sweet vanilla counterbalanced with lemon and lime followed by that surging Ardbeg smoke that we all know and love. Finish: Long and glorious; sea salted caramel and beach bonfire smoke. Overall: Precise balance, big smoke and non-chill filtered. This is why this is such a famous dram.

Lots of reviews, YT videos, etc. True story, I first picked this up in Boston (before it became available at the LCBO).

wp_20200215_20_37_06_pro-3-s-jpg.132167

wp_20200215_20_37_43_pro-3-s-jpg.132171

wp_20200215_20_41_21_pro-3-s-jpg.132169

wp_20200215_20_39_08_pro-3-s-jpg.132173

I posted about this scotch some years back in the scotch thread and I still seek out Ardbeg Ten Year Old. If you're not into smoky peaty scotch, this is not for you. If you're into this style of whisky, the other Ardbeg offerings are even stronger and more revered.

Have a great weekend.

Last edited:
I've had the Ardbeg as well as their more mature offerings and just wasn't overly impressed. Overly peated scotch aren't my thing but I can enjoy them still.
Give this one a shot if you enjoy well-rounded peated scotch's as it's my go-to for smokey scotch:

not an Islay fan
smells like a dirty band aid that's been left on too long

Jura is thoroughly decent starter scotch
Dalwhinnie is one of my faves
and MacAllan 18 is pure sex in a bottle

I don't buy into the premium vodka thing
Stoli still works well for me in mixed drinks

I've had the Ardbeg as well as their more mature offerings and just wasn't overly impressed. Overly peated scotch aren't my thing but I can enjoy them still.
Give this one a shot if you enjoy well-rounded peated scotch's as it's my go-to for smokey scotch:

I like this one too. Also Laphroig.

I'm enjoying the master blenders versions from sherry casks of a few different whiskies recently too.

Thx @Hardwrkr13, I'm taking notes :). I've tried a bottle or two of Laphroig and wasn't a fan... this sounds better. Pricey stuff. Any feedback on less expensive Lagavulin options? Scotch prices are how I found Bourbon, lol.

@J_F, I wasn't a fan of peaty and Islay scotches for years... for me it used to always be only about Highland scotches (such as Glenmorangie) or similar styles. Ardbeg changed that. I still prefer non peaty whisky (& whiskey) overall but I now really appreciate what an excellent peaty Islay scotch can bring for a spirit and for a change. I really enjoy variety too... it's always driving my choices.

YOLO and kudos @905. I'd pay $500 for a bottle of something if it appealed to me enough, though I haven't done that yet actually. But I do have a few bottles valued at that or more... a tequila (~$450 US in some US stores, but well under $500 CAD in MX at the right stores) and some icewine bottles that may now be worth north or $1K-$2K each (paid well well under $500 each). At least pre-covid, lol.

@crankcall, I'm surprised there was no feedback yet on your question of old bottles of spirits. I'm no expert, but recently read that spirits at 40%+ should be fine even when old old. FWIW, the source mentioned that once a bottle is opened, the flavors and smell can diminish a little over time, though at 1/4 of a bottle or less that process may accelerate (they recommend not having a quarter of a bottle or less sit for years and years). And still, tasting off is tasting off... I'd trust your palate over general guidance (your food and drink contributions are substantial here). That's a wow old bottle. Sorry to hear that.

That's an impressive tequila haul @Zoodles95 of very nice stuff. Do your bottles come with the MX liquor export stamp? I look forward to your feedback on those bottles and continued tequila purchases (plus any other liquor/spirits). I'll try to post up a tequila bottle from time to time. I found a really interesting tequila cocktail recipe, it uses a reposado and is posted up in the cocktail thread.

Sorry for the long post, it's hard not to discuss so many interesting and different spirit posts already up here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom