Post up your liquor/spirit talk ? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Post up your liquor/spirit talk ?

kwtoxman

With much of the country on near lock down it seemed as good a time as any to finally start up a liquor/spirit talk thread here
ripple_bounce.gif
. There's a scotch thread but nothing else and rather than add a bunch different threads for different spirits/liquors that will get buried here's a catch-all thread. I've been meaning to start this for a year at least. Talk about anything and everything liquor/spirit related.

Let me start this off.

I'm a bourbon man now. As good as scotch (a spirit that already has its own thread here), similar but also different and much less expensive. Anyone here into bourbon? Which ones?

Last edited:
Not bourbon for me. I prefer rye, I think I got sour on bourbon when I was younger. I lived and traveled a lot and too often got the surprise of bourbon when asking for a shot of rye.

I'm doing a little DIY (mostly to fuel my lawnmower). So far all I've made is a Vodkahol -- it was super easy and my lawnmower and a few neighbour's lawnmowers tell me it tastes as good as the Stoly they are used to.

For my next batch I'm going to see how the lawnmower runs on Gin.

Port/fortified wine count? My parents brought me back a bottle of Penfolds Grandfather for xmas from BC. When I finish the open Grahams 20, it will be time to pop open a bottle of Grandfather.

Avoiding the LCBO til this blows over so now is a great time to raid the stash of interesting but rarely used liquors (creme de cassis, china china, chartreuse, etc)

Most of the time, I'll have Makers or Woodford. For those times I want to enjoy a step up, I have a bottle of Bookers. The bar at a friend's wedding had Blanton's, and I was likely the only one asking for it. The most remarkable one I've had as Pappy Van Winkle's at my grad school advisor's retirement; that one was special.

Not bourbon for me. I prefer rye, I think I got sour on bourbon when I was younger. I lived and traveled a lot and too often got the surprise of bourbon when asking for a shot of rye.

I'm doing a little DIY (mostly to fuel my lawnmower). So far all I've made is a Vodkahol -- it was super easy and my lawnmower and a few neighbour's lawnmowers tell me it tastes as good as the Stoly they are used to.

For my next batch I'm going to see how the lawnmower runs on Gin.
Every spirit has its fans... bourbon and rye are both whiskeys, which is a very popular spirit... I don't think there as many rye fans out there (sipping). Who else enjoys sipping rye? I don't sip rye often but once in a while I enjoy some Crown Royal Northern Canadian Harvest rye neat.

Port/fortified wine count? My parents brought me back a bottle of Penfolds Grandfather for xmas from BC. When I finish the open Grahams 20, it will be time to pop open a bottle of Grandfather.

Avoiding the LCBO til this blows over so now is a great time to raid the stash of interesting but rarely used liquors (creme de cassis, china china, chartreuse, etc)
Nice. I'll be putting some fortified wine pics in the wine thread, but by means mention it here if you want. I enjoy fortified wines and haven't had any in years. Had one recently and it was great. All Canadian Wine championships bronze 2005 bottle. I'm a big tawny port fan too. Yup, interesting times.

Thx @Rick CH. I've tried some mid range bourbons (and cheaper) but haven't yet sampled the more rare and expensive bourbons. I have Makers. I more enjoy and keep around Woodford Reserve and Bulleit bourbon. Much of the reason I haven't spent money on bourbon is that I really enjoy the value aspect and its a new-to-me spirit I'm enjoying. It's great value and I find comparable whiskey is double the price. The bourbon market is robustly growing and both Woodford and Bulleit bourbons are considered among the top tier of whiskeys (e.g., top 10%). It allows me to spend more money on other spirits, such as scotch or tequila, etc. as well.

The great thing about the GTA is the access to some amazing spirits in enthusiast pubs/lounges. By all means share any good places and experiences. There's definitely an enthusiast scene out there for spirits/liquors. It's like being a foodie. Lots to sample. I like variety and lots of different liquors as well.

Last edited:
I like Blanton's. Harder than hell to find any more. Need to write a strongly worded email to Dan Aykroyd about that. Basil Hayden's is a half decent substitute.

Last edited:
Chivas Regal 12yr - yeah yeah a scotch I know but it's a blend and grab a big bottle and it's pretty cheap for how good it is. Most scotch drinkers will poo-poo it as it's a blend but for a sipping whiskey that won't break the bank this is as good as it gets. Was given a bottle and it surprised me.

Drinking Scotch gets expensive quick so I've been switching to some mixed drinks the past year. G&T is high on my list and this east coast gin is excellent and not surprisingly won best Canadian gin 2019:
It's available at the LCBO as well and it's a good looking bottle to add to your rack.

While visiting Costa Rica I was introduced to Flor De Cana rum. I'm really not a big rum drinker but enjoyed the 7yr both sipping neat and in mixed drinks. The 25yr is excellent as evident by the bottle I drank at Secrets Papagayo (this resort gets a big thumbs up from me if a quiet but fun spot is on your list).

Working on a Four Roses Single Barrel right now. Liquid candy. (y) IMO their regular bottling with the yellow label is the best value in bourbon at the LCBO.

Bourbon? I keep it simple.

Jim Beam Double Oak or Black.

Great after a long day at work.

I work from home and work has been quiet so, it’s sometime after lunch and before dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chivas Regal 12yr - yeah yeah a scotch I know but it's a blend and grab a big bottle and it's pretty cheap for how good it is. Most scotch drinkers will poo-poo it as it's a blend but for a sipping whiskey that won't break the bank this is as good as it gets. Was given a bottle and it surprised me.

Drinking Scotch gets expensive quick so I've been switching to some mixed drinks the past year. G&T is high on my list and this east coast gin is excellent and not surprisingly won best Canadian gin 2019:
It's available at the LCBO as well and it's a good looking bottle to add to your rack.

While visiting Costa Rica I was introduced to Flor De Cana rum. I'm really not a big rum drinker but enjoyed the 7yr both sipping neat and in mixed drinks. The 25yr is excellent as evident by the bottle I drank at Secrets Papagayo (this resort gets a big thumbs up from me if a quiet but fun spot is on your list).

I was driving near that resort a few weeks ago. I was in an AirBnB not far away.

We bought a litre of Panamanian rum in a local store which is nice and smooth. Flor de Cana is great too.

I always take a couple weeks off at Christmas to spend time with family. Last Christmas I was introduced to Jameson's Whiskey as I've never had it. As a scotch drinker I was hesitant but I really enjoyed it. Obviously not as complex as scotch but as a easy sipper or thrown in coffee it's quite good. Going to have to grab a bottle.

I always take a couple weeks off at Christmas to spend time with family. Last Christmas I was introduced to Jameson's Whiskey as I've never had it. As a scotch drinker I was hesitant but I really enjoyed it. Obviously not as complex as scotch but as a easy sipper or thrown in coffee it's quite good. Going to have to grab a bottle.

Single Irish malts are great value, the blends aren't bad at times either. Bushmills black label and Connemara (My favourite) are pretty good.

Marooned in India here and have had the opportunity to sample their Amrut Fusion Indian whisky. It is touted as a #3 world exhibition winner and is an easy drinking whisky that IMO compares favourably with some of the medium grade products coming out of Scotland.
In general what I did notice is that a lot of the spirits here have a +42% alcohol content. Quite a few are molasses based and those ones have "whisky flavours" added.

"Envoyé de mon Android Phone en utilisant Tapatalk"

Marooned in India here and have had the opportunity to sample their Amrut Fusion Indian whisky. It is touted as a #3 world exhibition winner and is an easy drinking whisky that IMO compares favourably with some of the medium grade products coming out of Scotland.
In general what I did notice is that a lot of the spirits here have a +42% alcohol content. Quite a few are molasses based and those ones have "whisky flavours" added.

Eeeeek ...whisky flavoured drink.

One good thing to come out of British Colonialism is decent booze around the world. The whisky and whiskey that followed, rum to a large extent, the export of decent gin, popularity of port and claret. They ruined the culture and exploited the natural resources of everywhere they went, but they left decent booze.

that whiskey gets really strong reviews
have never seen it, but LCBO carries it

Back
Top Bottom