. | GTAMotorcycle.com

• Thread starter Deleted member 54820
  • Start date
Nice. cbr 250 is close to my heart as it being my first bike too. **** loads of fun. Now rev matching, shifting is ok but
practice emergency braking and serving in big empty partying lot. TMP Cayuga is offering Intro to Track and Surviving the Streets ( dates to be announced. There is a thread on the forum Why We Crash is definitely worth a look. Good going on the getting the gear!

Ah nice didn't know you could take a cbr250r on an offroad type of adventure.

I should've mentioned I booked something with RTI, thats why I'm waiting until June. Just been putting around in parking lots to practice.
wait for the course, you'll learn so much to help you stay safe on those first few forays into traffic.

and

Welcome! Wear gear, be safe.

congrats and welcome

the beginner bikes are usually on the lighter end of the weight spectrum for bikes

Welcome and congrats on the new ride!

Any tips for a newbie like me calling a 300lb bike heavy and intimidating lol?

Yep. Seat time.

Put enough kms under the wheels and you should get used to the weight and it won't intimidate you anymore.

Even better, commute during rush hour every day with that thing in stop-and-go Toronto traffic and within a week or two, I guarantee you the weight will not bother you at all.

Welcome, Congrats.

I'd second the course, and as for actually getting out on the roads for the first time the one piece of advice that serves any rider well is to ride like you're invisible. Because to most other people on the road, you are.

Welcome to riding! Also had a Cbr250r once upon a time, a fun time! I miss it sometimes.
Good on you for the course and gear, as noted above, managing the weight comes with practice. Although I hear that changes with baggers and full dressers during duck walking extravaganzas

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

I'd consider myself a pro at driving manual transmission cars (rev-match downshifting, etc) I've ridden the bike on side streets a couple times before, plus recently practiced in a parking lot so I feel at home operating the bike, but still pretty intimidated to take it out on the road with other cars present.

Am I the only one who feels this way starting out? I really don't wanna get permanently injured but I guess I have to accept this is a risk of that. I'm a great mountain bike rider but a motorcycle is a different animal what with it's weight.

Any tips for a newbie like me calling a 300lb bike heavy and intimidating lol?
Nerves are natural. I got my M long before getting my G, so my first ride in traffic was also my first time in traffic. I was absolutely s***ting bricks. Inexplicably, I chose to ride along Davenport around Yonge, and when I pulled in for gas in one piece, it was such a relief. I don't remember my second ride though, because it became old hat pretty quick. Like most things, once you dive in, the worry goes away.

Enjoy the course. I had a blast on mine, which was also with RTI but about 20 years ago. Embarrassing story: I spent the first part of the weekend on I think a TW200, which had some seriously wooden brakes. Needed a real mitt-full to come to a stop. The buddy I was doing the course with was hogging a brand-new zippy little 250 standard, so I demanded a swap. Naturally, it's also when we're doing the emergency stop exercise (ride towards an instructor, he drops his arm, slam on the brakes). So I take off on this bike, thrilled by how much quicker it is than the TW. Instructor drops his arm, and I grab a full, sharp, four finger squeeze of the brakes. Naturally, what worked on the TW didn't work on the 250, out goes the front, and down we go. I'll never forget that awful sound of bodywork scraping along asphalt. I was fine, bike was fine, only a bruised ego. Weirdly, now I'd rather have the TW...

Yeah man, you just have to dive in. My first time riding a bike was during the course last year in July. Then bought my bike in October (with no riding in between) and had to pick up my bike downtown and ride it to Ajax. I was picking it up at the condo of the seller, so I just found the bite point of the clutch, took a few laps around the underground parking garage and then just went for it.

(Of course I stalled a few times, braking was not smooth every time to say the least, and the throttle was jerking me back often... But you just gotta stay calm, adapt, and keep going)

Take it slow, go out for rides during low traffic at first and/or residential areas etc. And you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Back
Top Bottom