Muskoka Fall Colours & Rapids - Monday Oct 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Muskoka Fall Colours & Rapids - Monday Oct 11

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
Edit: this ride is full now:)
---------------------------------------

If anyone wants to join, I'm heading out for a ride on Thanksgiving Monday (Oct 11) to see some peak fall colours. (Rain or Shine)
Or use this plan for your own ride on a different day.

Note: Read below to see if this is for you - especially if you haven't done many longer rides - know your limits and ride within it.
Newer riders can come for this (M2 needed for highway), but there will be some twisty roads that would not be ideal for those with limited experience (i.e first year riders). There are some short sections of gravel to get to certain parking areas for the lookout spots and I haven't been to them before. It will be chilly in the morning, so dress accordingly (ie. plan that it will feel at least 5deg colder, so wear layers to start and remove them as the day goes on).

Stops: Fuel stops every 150km or so. Some of the lookout spots have longer (but easy) walks involved to get to the viewing areas. Washrooms are at fuel stops and at a couple lookout spots, otherwise the bush is your friend. These stops include about 2.5hrs walking off the bike, some of which are probably not suitable for your motorcycle boots. I'm bringing a pair of rubber soled runners to change into for some of these short walks.
  • Huckleberry Lookout is an easy, but rocky 3km loop. Parking lot and washrooms it seems. This stop is probably 45 minutes off the bike.
  • Windermere Marina is a waterfront dock with a great spot to park the bikes and get a picture. This is a short 10 minute stop just for a group photo. No washrooms.
  • Lions Lookout is a 1.5km loop in Huntsville, with a nice view overlooking the town. This stop is probably 30 minutes. Don't think there's washrooms.
  • Big Bend Lookout (Arrowhead Park) is an easy short walk to the lookout spot. Not sure if we have to pay to get in there, but hopefully we can just go in and enjoy the view, take some pics and head out. This stop is probably 15 minutes and don't think there's washrooms.
  • Oxtongue Rapids Trail is a 2km loop along the rapids just outside Algonquin Park. I read that the trail is along the edge of a fast moving river along the smooth rocks, and read it can be slippery. There is a 2km narrow gravel road to ride on to get the the trail start. This stop is probably 30 minutes and I don't think there's washrooms.
  • Minden Wild Water Preserve - Harrington Park is another rapids. This stop is probably 20 minutes with a super short walk to the rapids and there are portable toilets here.
  • Centennial Lake Rd near Kirkfield is the final stop before the ride home. It's an awesome roadside spot for a group photo. No washrooms.
Time: Leaving my house in Mississauga at 6:30am latest! Anyone coming should be gassed up and ready to leave from the Innisfil Shell at 8am (we'll have a quick pre-ride talk before leaving). That meet spot address (2098 Commerce Park Drive, Innisfil) is also in the route below. I want to be home before sunset, so please be on time:)

Lunch: Will pack a light lunch/snacks - no sit down restaurant meal due to the number of stops already on this route, but will munch all day at the different stops. Bring enough water - or like some of us, ride with a simple hydration knapsack.

Pace: Responsible in the straights, respectful in the smaller towns and fun in the corners where appropriate.
If you have ridden with me before - this pace will be based on the number of riders and riding experience.

Route: Shell to Keswick - 600km from start to finish, plus whatever it takes to get you to/from home.
Round trip from Mississauga for me will be about 12 hours, including stops. (Google Maps says the route is about 8.5 hours + these lookout spots add 2.5 hours off the bike + time spent getting to/from home). I have this saved as a GPX file incl. fuel stops - just ask if you would like it.

Please don't just show up at the meet spot - post up or PM me if interested, so I can have a head count to keep this manageable.
I don't want to think there's 5 people coming and then 20 show up, because I ain't no cattle herder.
Cheers!
1632577591305.png

Riders tentatively coming:
short2ride
LePhillou +
voyageur
timtune
MadMike ++
jdmster

Last edited:
Hey Shane are you riding up the 400 to innisfil?

If so i could meet you on the hwy9 on ramp if you have room

What time do you think you’ll be in inissville
I will try to be there for 7:30am. I hope we can leave from there as close to 8am as possible (after having a quick pre-ride meeting).
Interested let me know if there is room.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2
There is room, so come.

Interested let me know if there is room.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2
Hey Steve what route are you taking to get to innisfil?

If you want to go through Arthur we can meet up at Tim Horton’s

Hey Shane are you riding up the 400 to innisfil?

If so i could meet you on the hwy9 on ramp if you have room
Yes riding up the 400 to Innisfil.
Lets see how this develops overall and then figure out potential meet spots along the way, but yes, the Hwy 9 ramp sounds good to me.

has this happened? lol
Many years ago - I think so.
I think one fall colours ride organized here had like 30 riders or something, but tough to tell by people posting up in advance.
Hasn't happened to me yet, because normally my rides are too long and start to early.

Hey Shane,

Nice route. I can join if you got room for one more. Not sure if I'll do the whole loop with you, but I'll try :)

If spots are already filled up, then I'll gladly steal the route lol
There is room, so feel free to come. I'll update the first post with those who have expressed interest to keep track.
Not sure what number to cap this at, or if there is enough interest we could always do two groups or something.

There is room, so feel free to come. I'll update the first post with those who have expressed interest to keep track.
Not sure what number to cap this at, or if there is enough interest we could always do two groups or something.
Super! I'm more excited about checking out some of the lookout points you have mentioned. Should be beautiful.

Many years ago - I think so.
I think one fall colours ride organized here had like 30 riders or something, but tough to tell by people posting up in advance.
Hasn't happened to me yet, because normally my rides are too long and start to early.

Ah, the good ole days!

Participation in GTAM group rides has really fallen off since Social Media happened.

Ah, the good ole days!

Participation in GTAM group rides has really fallen off since Social Media happened.
Couldn't agree more.
I've tried different social media things, but the luddite in me just doesn't work well with it, so here we are:)

And I've been want to do something that includes newer riders for a while now.

Couldn't agree more.
I've tried different social media things, but the luddite in me just doesn't work well with it, so here we are:)

And I've been want to do something that includes newer riders for a while now.

You're not missing much. The WhatsApp group I'm on is a bunch of 20-30 somethings and the rides all start at noon and go to either Rosedale Valley Road or the Forks...

Good idea about the newb ride. I organized a couple of those before we left. Had a good turnout, but that was before Social Media. I suspect there's only a bunch of Old Farts left on this forum.

Good luck with the Fall Colours ride, wish I could join you guys!

I might be able to come too, depends on family obligations

Back
Top Bottom