MTOhp - Motorcycle Training Organization of Halton/Peel - New Locations! | GTAMotorcycle.com

MTOhp - Motorcycle Training Organization of Halton/Peel - New Locations!

MTOhp

Site Supporter
Rider Training Professional
The 2020 riding season is just around the corner!
The Motorcycle Training Organization of Halton/Peel (MTOhp) is excited to announce that we will be expanding our locations to better serve our clientele.

In Oakville, we will be continuing to teach out of the Sheridan College parking lots at the Trafalgar Campus.
In Brampton, we will be going back to the Sheridan College parking lots at the Davis Campus.
& we are excited to announce that we are expanding to Etobioke at the Humber Queen's Plate parking lot!

The MTOhp is a registered, not-for-profit organization staffed and managed by experienced, enthusiastic motorcyclists. Our instructors are specialized professionals certified to deliver Canada Safety Council’s “Gearing Up” program. Our expertise, passion and knowledge will empower new riders and riders returning to the sport.

M1X - M1 to M2 Basic Riding Skills Training - Obtain your M2 licence in one weekend!
  • Learn to operate motorcycles safely
  • Receive up to 20hrs of group/individualized instruction and riding
  • Riding Skills: basic motorcycle skills, higher speed control, controlled emergency braking & swerving, defensive riding techniques
  • MTO riding test to qualify for your M2 licence
Benefits
  • Potential insurance discounts
  • Motorcycles and helmets supplied
  • MTO certified M2 motorcycle riding test
  • Fasttrack to M2 Exit 18months vs 22months

M2X - M2 to M Training - Upgrade to a full "M" licence!
  • Ministry of Transportation Ontario certified program
  • Same day, one hour test to qualify for your full M license
  • Receive 9.5 hours of instruction and riding time
  • Develop safe riding strategies while riding your own motorcycle in a small 4:1 student to instructor ratio group
  • Improve skills for cornering, highway ramps, group riding and more!
Program Details
  • Courses run from mid April through mid October
  • Courses running in both Brampton and Oakville locations
  • Visit our website for all available courses, details and pricing: http://www.mtohp.com/

Full course content, locations, fees, registration information and FAQs can be found on our website @ www.mtohp.com or you can email us at info@mtohp.com.

We will be. Everything was a go for last weekend, then the govt. extended the emergency measures and group size restrictions.

Every m1x course is in the same boat, at least in the gta.

Hopefully soon.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Any courses available North of Toronto, Georgina area?

Question,

The M2X is now listed as M Training. When completing this course, do you have a valid M?

*edit Changed m1X to m2x

Last edited:
Question,

The M1X is now listed as M1 Training. When completing this course, do you have a valid M?
Will sneak in here. M1X gives you your M2. M2X gives you your M, as explained in the first post.

Edit: When I look on their site at this time, I only see M1X courses.

If you look at the course numbers they still say M2X, so looks like you are correct. Do you have the required number of months with your M2?

Edit: If you're unsure about anything, call the office, they have a number there. They'll be able to straighten out any questions.

Very much so. Could have done it last year.

Just looking for clarification.
Please call me if you have questions - (289) 654-0501.
The M2X - also know as the M2 Exit - is the course that will get you from your M2 licence up to your M licence.

Why can't I use my bike ?

FAQ says uses your bikes

Heh, I actually don't have one yet, but it will prob be either a Rebel 300 or Rebel 500

Why can't I use my bike ?

FAQ says uses your bikes

Heh, I actually don't have one yet, but it will prob be either a Rebel 300 or Rebel 500
Full M course (m2x) and the road test is on your own bike.

M2 (m1x) is all in the parking lot at 30kph, on a stripped down low displacement MtoHp owned (insurance reasons) course bike.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

That doesn't answer the "why"
Do you want to drop your street legal bike in a training course? Or a stripped down pre-scraped school bike?

Your motorcycle insurance covers you on the road.

Their insurance is a "blanket liability policy" that covers during a training course in an empty privately owned parking lot (not subject to the HTA).

Easiest explanation: liability.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Is my insurance not valid in a "training environment" ?

I don't see why not ... but I know nothing about insurance

Is my insurance not valid in a "training environment" ?

I don't see why not ... but I know nothing about insurance
It has nothing to do with your insurance, it's their insurance.
They would not be covered with you bringing your own bike. It is an entry level learn to ride course.
I guarantee if they allowed the option to bring your own bike, some muppet that has never ridden before would show up with a fully loaded Harley Bagger followed closely by a wannabe streeet rossi on a 1000cc Gixer. Both of them crashing and taking out half the class in the process.

As other have said, why would you want to use your bike for this course?

Why my bike ?

Why would I want to learn on a different bike than the one I've chosen to buy ?

I'm going to buy a bike that feels comfortable, i.e prob a cruiser.
If my only choice at the school is a sport, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

I've read other threads, where the bike had a bad clutch / brake ... etc, and the student had to struggle and
fight against a bike that was not fit.

That doesn't answer the "why"

There are many reasons why, as a beginner, you should use a school bike instead of your own bike for the M1X course.

The main reason is that too often, students are too tentative with their own bike. They've got too much money and emotion invested in it and are afraid of dropping it and therefore don't get anywhere close to the limits of their own abilities and the bike's abilities. Because of this, their progress is a lot slower than someone who doesn't care about dropping a school bike (which have seen many, many, MANY drops) and is instead more focused on the curriculum.

Another reason is that school bikes are way more suited for parking speeds and tight maneuvers. Your top speed will probably not exceed 30 km/h during the weekend. School bikes are typically 100-150cc tiny bikes. They're low to the ground to inspire confidence while learning and the turning radius will be suited to the course as well as the M1X test. On a tiny school bike, you will probably be able to practice shifting up all the way to third and downshifting to second. On most student-owned street bikes, the bikes will not be able to run 30 km/h in 3rd gear without bogging, and the wider turning radius will make it much harder to learn skills like tight U-turns, so you will not be getting the full benefit of the exercises.

Most of the school bikes don't come with ABS, whereas most modern street bikes that students own, cannot have ABS disabled. This eliminates a very important exercise in the curriculum: emergency braking, where you test the limits of traction. If you cannot disable ABS on your own bike, you don't learn threshold braking, as well as how to detect and recover from a sliding tire.

It's very common to see students rush out to the parking lot on the first day of the course to "claim" the school bike that they want to learn on for the rest of the weekend:

"I own a sportbike at home, so I'm going to learn on that CBR125"
"I own a cruiser at home, so I'm going to learn on that Virago"

The smart student will observe what all the instructors demo all the lessons with and pick that bike.
The smarter student will *ASK* the instructor, "What is the best bike to learn on?"

Hint: It's not a sportbike or a cruiser...

Last edited:
There are many reasons why, as a beginner, you should use a school bike instead of your own bike for the M1X course.

The main reason is that too often, students are too tentative with their own bike. They've got too much money and emotion invested in it and are afraid of dropping it and therefore don't get anywhere close to the limits of their own abilities and the bike's abilities. Because of this, their progress is a lot slower than someone who doesn't care about dropping a school bike (which have seen many, many, MANY drops) and is instead more focused on the curriculum.

Another reason is that school bikes are way more suited for parking speeds and tight maneuvers. Your top speed will probably not exceed 30 km/h during the weekend. School bikes are typically 100-150cc tiny bikes. They're low to the ground to inspire confidence while learning and the turning radius will be suited to the course as well as the M1X test. On a tiny school bike, you will probably be able to practice shifting up all the way to third and downshifting to second. On most student-owned street bikes, the bikes will not be able to run 30 km/h in 3rd gear without bogging, and the wider turning radius will make it much harder to learn skills like tight U-turns, so you will not be getting the full benefit of the exercises.

Most of the school bikes don't come with ABS, whereas most modern street bikes that students own, cannot have ABS disabled. This eliminates a very important exercise in the curriculum: emergency braking, where you test the limits of traction. If you cannot disable ABS on your own bike, you don't learn threshold braking, as well as how to detect and recover from a sliding tire.

It's very common to see students rush out to the parking lot on the first day of the course to "claim" the school bike that they want to learn on for the rest of the weekend:

"I own a sportbike at home, so I'm going to learn on that CBR125"
"I own a cruiser at home, so I'm going to learn on that Virago"

The smart student will observe what all the instructors demo all the lessons with and pick that bike.
The smarter student will *ASK* the instructor, "What is the best bike to learn on?"

Hint: It's not a sportbike or a cruiser...

Thanks for that.

Ok I "give" .... "not a sportsbike or cruiser" ??

Mike

Back
Top Bottom