Motorcycle Star Rating? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Star Rating?

conundrum

Just a quick question since my renewal is coming up -- When I called around for quotes a year ago, I recall one agent/broker mentioning that motorcycles have a 'star rating' much like car, and that (I believe) there is a steep discount once you get to a 4 star rating.

That said, can anyone confirm this? I believe it might have been Intact, but I honestly can't remember.

I'm unsure that it's the motorcycle/vehicle that gets the stars but the rider or insured.

AFAIK insurance companies assign each driver up to 6 stars (best). An at fault will drop you back to 0. You earn one star for each year you have no at fault crashes or other negative charges (that they confirm). At faults stay on your record for 6 (surprised?) years. I've confirmed this with two insurance companies so far, last when the wife dropped back to 0, and our family now averaged out to 3, thus explaining our significant insurance increase.

If not the vehicle, then I was under the assumption the star rating would be applied to the license that corresponds to the vehicle type...as in you could have a 6 star automotive rating, and a 4 star motorcycle rating.

One other question -- when you say negative charges, does that include minor tickets? Only reason I ask is I find it odd you can pay for 'accident forgiveness' to cover 1 at fault from damaging your rating, however you could get a single 10km/h over ticket which would ruin your star rating. It would make sense star rating was linked to at fault claims, but then, when has insurance ever made sense here in Ontario...

So no one else has heard of this rating for motorcycles and steep discounts at 4 (or more) stars?

RIders plus does this they go up to 5 stars if you have a bike under 900cc they only rate you at 4 star next year if I have no accidents or tickets I will be 4 STARS I have a 250

Yes, I've heard you'll only be rated for motorcycle accidents for your motorcycle insurance. That's what my broker said, at least

Yes, I've heard you'll only be rated for motorcycle accidents for your motorcycle insurance. That's what my broker said, at least

Depends on the insurance company TBH. TD always counted my Car accident against me on the bike. Its the last year its counted though this year. I have had other quotes from companies that said we only care about motorcycle accidents.

Back
Top Bottom