Longshot Gopro Continuous power supply | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Longshot Gopro Continuous power supply

hedo2002

Site Supporter
Well, I finally got around to running the battery terminal cable under my gas tank etc mid week. I then used the included velco strap to coil up the "middle cable". The cable comes in three basic sections:

The "connector cable", (I'll call it that), be it the battery terminal, the aligator clips or the cigarette lighter end. This section is about 12" in lenght
The "middle section" this portion also has a coiled, (like an old telephone cord), it is about 15' in length.
The "case section" this section also has the coiled telephone like cable, and connects to the rear of the camera case. It is about 15" long, (with coil wound tight).

I have a RAM mount on the handle bars and the middle section is basically laying between the hande bars and the windshield. I would have actually prefered a MUCH shorter middle section. (IMHO if it is it be bike mounted then 4 - 6" would still be overkill). If your mounting this on a sport bike your going to have to find a place iside the fairing to conceal the extra cable.

I have recorded, (using a hero 3+), likely about 15 hours of commuting. I used to get a one way commute 45 - 90 minutes with the battery. The recharge the camera at work for the ride home. Seeing I had the camera out, I would erase the video, (if nothing happened during the commute). Now I have done, (forgot to see how much space was remaining on the card), two round trips on a 32GB card before erasing.

The camera works flawlessly, Before at times the video would cut out as the battery was dying now, I don't worry about it.

I will be doing my first "recreational ride this coming Saturday which will likley be 6 - 10 hours of riding. I have had for some time 4 32 Gb cards. I am looking forward to seeing how long one card lasts.

The quality of the build is great and I have NO issue recommending this to anyone.

Just Luc,

Let me know how the device is is holding up, I may be looking for something like this for my Hero4.

xfactor

Site Supporter
Well, I finally got around to running the battery terminal cable under my gas tank etc mid week. I then used the included velco strap to coil up the "middle cable". The cable comes in three basic sections:

The "connector cable", (I'll call it that), be it the battery terminal, the aligator clips or the cigarette lighter end. This section is about 12" in lenght
The "middle section" this portion also has a coiled, (like an old telephone cord), it is about 15' in length.
The "case section" this section also has the coiled telephone like cable, and connects to the rear of the camera case. It is about 15" long, (with coil wound tight).

I have a RAM mount on the handle bars and the middle section is basically laying between the hande bars and the windshield. I would have actually prefered a MUCH shorter middle section. (IMHO if it is it be bike mounted then 4 - 6" would still be overkill). If your mounting this on a sport bike your going to have to find a place iside the fairing to conceal the extra cable.

I have recorded, (using a hero 3+), likely about 15 hours of commuting. I used to get a one way commute 45 - 90 minutes with the battery. The recharge the camera at work for the ride home. Seeing I had the camera out, I would erase the video, (if nothing happened during the commute). Now I have done, (forgot to see how much space was remaining on the card), two round trips on a 32GB card before erasing.

The camera works flawlessly, Before at times the video would cut out as the battery was dying now, I don't worry about it.

I will be doing my first "recreational ride this coming Saturday which will likley be 6 - 10 hours of riding. I have had for some time 4 32 Gb cards. I am looking forward to seeing how long one card lasts.

The quality of the build is great and I have NO issue recommending this to anyone.
Thanks Hedo for the review. Now I need to give this a try.

Hardened

Hey Bill,

Great idea, have question regarding amp for the USB power. I'm running a 1A port, would that be enough to power?
thanks,
It might, but it will depend on which camera (H4 pulls more than H3), settings, of course (WiFi & Protune pull more), and resolution, frame-rate, etc.

Generally I say 1.5 amps is a minimum. More is always better.

Hardened

Hedo,

Thanks for the review and the opinion!

Regarding cable length: We certainly make custom lengths. The longest (so far) was 120 feet between battery and camera (voltage drop has to be accounted for in long lengths at low voltages). We could make a short custom cable for you for $20 + shipping, but consider doing it yourself. It is just a common two-conductor stranded copper wire. If you are willing to make a careful cut and splice, you could shorten the cable to whatever suited your application...

xfactor

Site Supporter
It might, but it will depend on which camera (H4 pulls more than H3), settings, of course (WiFi & Protune pull more), and resolution, frame-rate, etc.

Generally I say 1.5 amps is a minimum. More is always better.
Thanks the new connection I'm getting is 2.1 for the USB out, so we should be good.

shahfaisal

Site Supporter
Ok i am new the cam on bike scene.. need camera on my track bike.. prefere it to be hardwired with a kill switch so it doesnt drain my battery while parked in the garage...

Questions: What does your product include in the package?

What do i need to get myself?

I have a bunch of 128gb microsd cards sitting around.. can i use those?

hedo2002

Site Supporter
This product is just the power cord and battery replacement, with case. So in essence it is all the parts you need to hard wire either a Gopro 3+ or 4 to a bike. It does NOT include the camera or mounts. As for the 128 gb cards, to the best of my knowledge Gopro are NOT compatible with cards that large. I believe the largest they work with is 64 GB, class 10. No need for a kill switch as long as camera is turned off or removed from bike there is NO battery draw. FYI a 32 GB card will get you about 4 - 5 hours of video depending upon the settings you use.

So besides this product you need to buy a Gopro and a bike mount, Recommend RAM mount as they are metal plastic mount won't have the vibrations.

Ok i am new the cam on bike scene.. need camera on my track bike.. prefere it to be hardwired with a kill switch so it doesnt drain my battery while parked in the garage...

Questions: What does your product include in the package?

What do i need to get myself?

I have a bunch of 128gb microsd cards sitting around.. can i use those?

Leatherlungs

Hello. I'm a little late to this thread but I was wondering if this group buy is still available. I am looking at purchasing the longshot G3 sd for my hero 3+. Thanks

Top Bottom