Konker ksm200 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Konker ksm200

kingkong666jp

Site Supporter
hi,
anyone here buy this bike ?
any feedback would be great, thanks

Sounds like something that breaks down the second it turns over.

Hello all,

I just got back from looking at this bike on Saturday at Pickering Village Motors. I had read the review on CMG Online at the review was good. I love the look of the bike, very stocky and rough looking (in a good way). The decals were cheap but the bike looked nice, IMO. I seriously contemplated buying the bike. The dealer told me they have only sold two so far (they are brand new) but there are other Ontario dealers out there and it is better known in B.C. where the company first started out in Canada. It is in fact a Suzuki partnered company.

I even took the bike out for a test drive and I enjoyed it thoroughly (I have 10 years of riding experience). What prevented me from buying it is that it is a newer company and I feared lack of support and parts if I ever needed anything. What happens two years down the road if I have serious problems with the bike? I'm sure my mechanic has never heard of a Konker or maybe never worked on one. I am too far away to go to the dealer.

The dealer told me (and they seem like honest guys) that they have never heard back from one of their customers (which is possibly a good thing) and the other customer was a guy who has been in motorcycling for 30 years and knows his stuff. He apparently loves the bike as a commuter. It is fun to drive, he had 5000 Kms on it, no problems, etc. He's into changing the sprockets to get more power, ya da ya da...

Apparently dealer support is one of the key things that Konker tries to go for. Parts are supposed to be easy to get from the dealer and they will support the customer as much as possible. But it is hard to spend 3600.00 even if you love the bike if you don't know the actual quality of the bike.

In the end, and for what it's worth, I am probably going to buy a Suzuki DR200SE. It is a trusted name (previous comment notwithstanding) and I know there will be lots of support from the dealer, well, as long as you go to a good dealer.

I bought a Konker SM200 in April at Pickering Village, and splurged for the extra set of wheels. The bike alone was $3,000 the Suzuki DR was $4800. Konker has been importing QingQi bikes into Canada for either 7 or 9 years, mostly quads & small dirt bikes. QingQi have been selling this 200cc motard in the States and The UK since 2005, and just “certified“ it for Canada in Dec 2008. I’ve got three Konker dealers to order parts from, plus my mechanic who I order Suzuki parts from, for the Konker. QingQi builds the DR200 in the same Chinese factory. The Konker is better spec on the stuff that counts. For example the USD fork works. The DR has 1990’s forks. The simple rear drum works, I wouldn’t pay for a rear disk on a d/s. And with the DR200 motor, I have no preconceived concerns about “quality”. IMO the Konker is a very good lightweight dual sport. I bomb around on gravel roads where 200cc is adequate. It’s not a demon. For commuting on 80kmph 2 lane roads I’m getting 91mpg since new. For $3k it’s pretty hard to beat. For comparison the Honda CRF230M lists at $6400 in Brampton. I run the stock rear sprocket on the enduro wheel, and 4 teeth less on the 17” street rear wheel, for a little better top speed. (ok less RPMs at 90km) I rode the Bad Ride in May with all the Harley guys, and had about the most exclusive bike there J . I think DBush nailed it about the dealer, once you find a good one…. I’ve been to three Suzuki dealers inquiring about DR200 parts and I don’t like their attitudes. Basically if I don’t have a Gixxer, they won’t spend the time. Hence my praise for my independent mechanic who is always willing to help. The air cooled DR200 motor is state of the art 1990, pretty much any decent mechanic can keep it running. I’m not worried about dealer support as long as QingQi is still around. Did I mention I’m an early adopter and have owned 6 Hyundai’s after putting 325,000 km on a 1987 Pony !!!

2 reviews from guys who have 1-2 posts...hmmm...guess it's time to buy :D

After 12 months of trouble free ownership, I put on 10,900km. I have 5 other rides, so I average about 20k km a year. I’d rather ride than yak online, hence the infrequent posts. After gas, 1 headlight bulb, oil & filters I’ve spent money on a replacement chain at 7,000km or so. The broken fender was 100% my fault when I dropped it on Ganaraska single track. I’m averaging 83mpg since new. I can swap the rims over in under an hour so I’ve been switching the trail tires for the 17” street tires and back. Port Dover in November was my last ride for 2009. This cheap little bike has not left me stranded yet, so that’s a plus. Everybody asks about it when I park. I taught my 14yr old son to ride it. And it’s still entertaining on the gravel roads. What else can I say ?

epic thread potential

Oh lord. Am dying of laughter here. I can only imagine three chinese dudes carrying out an ad assault under operation konker - assault on gtam squids.

After 12 months of trouble free ownership, I put on 10,900km. I have 5 other rides, so I average about 20k km a year. I’d rather ride than yak online, hence the infrequent posts. After gas, 1 headlight bulb, oil & filters I’ve spent money on a replacement chain at 7,000km or so. The broken fender was 100% my fault when I dropped it on Ganaraska single track. I’m averaging 83mpg since new. I can swap the rims over in under an hour so I’ve been switching the trail tires for the 17” street tires and back. Port Dover in November was my last ride for 2009. This cheap little bike has not left me stranded yet, so that’s a plus. Everybody asks about it when I park. I taught my 14yr old son to ride it. And it’s still entertaining on the gravel roads.

What else can I say ?

Maybe you can tells us that you work for this company or at least have stock invested on it. C'mon man, the only 3 guys idolizing this new unknown bike are newbies with 2 and 4 posts? When a senior GTAM member idolizes it maybe I will listen.

Can we all just appreciate the fact that the only justifiable reason anyone has to buy any of these "off-brand" bikes is that they are secretely built in parallel with the exact same parts as our Suzukis and Yamahas.

I mean, obviously its just the big corporate machine responsible for unreasonable price differences between Suzukis and Kwaigon-loo bikes (you know what I mean). It certainly couldn't be that these third tier companys buy up tool and dies that are 20 years old and start churning out bikes using "suzuki technology". Theres more to bike assembly then an engine blocks, if costs aren't cut there, its just going to be quality control, final assembly or somewhere else in the line.

I'd also like to note the importance of paragraphs and sentance structure. If you're going to come advertise on our board, at least have the courtesy to make your ****** posts somewhat easy to read.

-Adam

I test rode one. Ran just as well as my tried and tested XR200R. The engine was a little rougher andnoisier than my Honda, but the Honda is well broken in, and the Konker was still new.

I thinkit's a hell of a deal for the price. If I only city rode it'd be a contender.

I have had family members and friends buy chinese-made Yamamoto,Jing,UMO and Tough motorcycles and let me say that they are pieces of crap not worth the $900 they cost new, yes, they cost bewteen $900 and $1,400 brand new. The engine is sealed like a "D" battery, they don't have bolts or nuts to take them apart, they are literally disposable bikes that you throw away a year later, for hard riders like me it would be 3 months. The headlights and turn signals fall off the bike in rough roads within a week, the foot pegs break easily just standing full-weight on them, and the most sucky part is the suspension. If you push the bike down it will take about 2 minutes for the spring shock to lift the bike's seat up again.

Just buy an old suzuki or honda.

I have had family members and friends buy chinese-made Yamamoto,Jing,UMO and Tough motorcycles and let me say that they are pieces of crap not worth the $900 they cost new, yes, they cost bewteen $900 and $1,400 brand new. The engine is sealed like a "D" battery, they don't have bolts or nuts to take them apart, they are literally disposable bikes that you throw away a year later, for hard riders like me it would be 3 months. The headlights and turn signals fall off the bike in rough roads within a week, the foot pegs break easily just standing full-weight on them, and the most sucky part is the suspension. If you push the bike down it will take about 2 minutes for the spring shock to lift the bike's seat up again.

Just buy an old suzuki or honda.

The above description doesn't describe the Konker bike line. You make it sound like ALL chinesebuilt bikes are unserviceable junk.
You are mistaken.

The above description doesn't describe the Konker bike line. You make it sound like ALL chinesebuilt bikes are unserviceable junk.
You are mistaken.

Buddy, if the Konker is built like those pieces of crap 100cc kids' motorbikes sold at Canadian Tire I don't even want to know anything about it.

Buddy, if the Konker is built like those pieces of crap 100cc kids' motorbikes sold at Canadian Tire I don't even want to know anything about it.
What they're claiming is that those bikes were better-designed and quality-built, unlike those bottom of the barrel makes/models.

Back
Top Bottom