. | GTAMotorcycle.com

• Thread starter Deleted member 54820
  • Start date
Welcome to riding! Nice to see you have responsible riding on your mind.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to get some solo time in, do it at a pace that works for you. Maybe a single riding buddy, but not a group of riders distracting or pushing you out of your comfort zone. You might think about using events like the Burger meetups as a way to network, the destinations will also give you some solo urban riding experience. You'll probably find riders heading your way to and from, they will ride with you, maybe give you some feedback or help with your questions.

Finally, spirited riding is a thing, but not something that should come into focus for novices or anyone riding in an urban environment. We have a thread for that: Fallen Riders/In Memory of.

I've had a number of close calls on large group rides. The last thing you need is a bunch of people who don't know you're skill level bunching up around you. Group rides are like the 401. Few people leave enough space.

I've had a number of close calls on large group rides. The last thing you need is a bunch of people who don't know you're skill level bunching up around you. Group rides are like the 401. Few people leave enough space.

Toronto group rides are intense

Take it from me. Group rides are overrated. People who want to show off and ride beyond their skill set. Safety hazard for everyone involved.

I won’t ride with anyone unless I can trust them with my life….

As a newbie, I would also avoid downtown and Don valley specially in rush hour and nice weather. Witnessesd so many near misses and distracted drivers last Saturday. You ideally want your focus on riding skills more than traffic and people's unexpected actions, wide turns, etc.

I live in the area and commute on DVP regularly. I have to agree with a few others here. Suggest riding around on less crowded roads and staying off major highways until you're familiar with controls and your motorcycle. All the best!

i practice motogymkhana stuff in parking lots frequently cause the good roads are far in toronto. usually in north york as well. its a good way to get comfortable on your motorcycle and feel for all your controls.

Do you have access to a private lot? I wanted to try something like that
This gives me a good idea, maybe we can start a thread for areas we've found suitable for practice? The one issue I foresee is that even though parking lots of community centers or shopping malls are usually treated as public property, I don't believe they are. For my part, I recently started going to commercial areas I'm familiar with (ex-truck driver) to practice on weekends. Another option would be dead-end roads (not a cul-de-sac)?

I know a couple of parking lots near office buildings in Richmond Hill where security is ok when people practice (including having cones and so on). Obviously, no burnouts allowed or anything like that and only on evenings when they are basically empty.

This gives me a good idea, maybe we can start a thread for areas we've found suitable for practice? The one issue I foresee is that even though parking lots of community centers or shopping malls are usually treated as public property, I don't believe they are. For my part, I recently started going to commercial areas I'm familiar with (ex-truck driver) to practice on weekends. Another option would be dead-end roads (not a cul-de-sac)?
It's a good idea.
After the new HTA regulations came into effect, I was apprehensive about practicing in empty lots. But if there is a security and they're cool with it, I guess no problem.

Not that there are a lot of these in the GTA, but new developments where the houses haven't started going up yet are a great place to practice. No traffic, no Karens...

Those developments have a shelf life though.

Not that there are a lot of these in the GTA, but new developments where the houses haven't started going up yet are a great place to practice.

Lots of those close to me since I'm at the city limits, but I'm always put off by the amount of dust and gravel on the road. Was mostly worried about losing traction when practicing a U-turn or something that requires more aggressive manoeuvring. Maybe I'll take a look after a heavy rain has come through.

It's a good idea.
After the new HTA regulations came into effect, I was apprehensive about practicing in empty lots. But if there is a security and they're cool with it, I guess no problem.
i've had several encounters with police and its never trouble. they appreciate that people are practicing in the lot. these new laws are silly but unless youre endangering other people or damaging property i wouldn't worry about getting busted for dicking around in the lot

Back
Top Bottom