Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 33 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Being teased by the rain. Still trying to get out today. ( the next day ). Busy online tho....it's a conspiracy. :(
Finally got out and enjoyed the ride up to Port Douglas. New tires and chain/sprockets seem to have added 5-7% better fuel mileage. Not surprised that chain was getting dodgy. 340 km and only a 10.4 L fill up.
Sitting under shade in my fav picnic table spot...even pulled the whole bike under this time.
Better internet than I get at home :rolleyes: Good time to update the website. Nice breeze.
1637122143358.png
Pepsi Max is 1.25 Ltr so will be good for carrying additional water. This kind of heat I need to carry more if I go out on some of the lesser travelled roads....perhaps tomorrow.

Discovered something too...leaving around noon going north ... later than usual and returned around 3.30 pm. Puts the sun behind the range and with the breeze off the Pacific made for a really nice ride with very little traffic. That's normally the hottest time of day but that shade and ocean breeze combo was really sweet. The new front tire has settled nicely and the fresh chain and sprocket makes the bike smoother all around..figure I'll ride a bit more agressively with brakes, tires, and smooth power, tho today I was in serious mellow mood returning home.
Some high thunderheads in the distance made for a spectacular sky.

Last edited:
No riding today ..switching doctors so had a midday appointment and was raining off and on. Nice on the deck just now 27c with a breeze.
Finally got my mirror extenders so will put those on tomorrow...there is a really blind spot directly behind me. Might only put on one side as I do like to legally filter here.

Ah what a treat but didn't expect to be cold. Left early and located a road on the Tablelands just near Skybury and it followed the extensive irrigation network- just a nice ride on quiet secondary roads with wind turbines on the hill above and immense orchards. Was okay there but as I headed up to Ravenshoe where I'm now chowing down on a beef pie ( a bit too salty but filling ) it's the highest road in Queensland and combined with some light rain had to button down the air channels on the jacket. Its 24 now which is just about perfect and the sun has come out.
Fun day and only 10 am. √

Picked up some mangos and avocados at a roadside stall.
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at Nov, 19    2021    10.15.35 AM.jpg
Farmer even picked out a ripe one that I might have for desert if I can figure out how to not make too much a mess. Think I need to carry a pocket knife for just such adventures. There were lichees there as well.
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at Nov, 19    2021    10.16.29 AM.jpg
Hunh - 376 very enjoyable km and back home by 3 pm

Last edited:
Gorgeous day coming up but not sure can escape work early. :(

I know many worry about snakes in Aus as we do house a bunch of nasties
But this taipan ( not my photo ) was only the second one I've ever seen alive ( tho a few road kills )
It slithered across the secondary road ....I did NOT stop to try for a photo.
Inland taipan - Wikipedia

The other was red bellied black snake with it's triangular body shape. Also just a glimpse as it crossed the road moving quickly.
Red-bellied Black Snake - The Australian Museum

We do have pythons in area ...gorgeous and most like to eat cats. Found a 2m shed skin in the the back yard and a big one tried to get in the screen in the bedroom waking partner. No risk unless you are a cat or small dog or a fat tree frog. Partner says the frog really aqueals as being chowed down.

And lots of green tree snakes. This is my photo - the above are not.
1637365109905.png
One plopped on the floor at night and scared our snake phobic house mate.

Last edited:
Looking at some birding info for Queensland and came across this gem from Attenborough. Made me laugh.

Aussie cheesecake in a good cause

0665f4ff57c81bf8c3b1fdbd93637ab3

Most firefighters in the rural communities are unpaid and last year their effort and what they faced was epic.
10oz-fires-superJumbo.jpg

Fires are an issue even here in the wet tropics but nothing like last year in the south.

Last edited:
Going to head over to Hasties Swamp as early as possible. Well rested. Seems I need a day off between longer rides.:rolleyes:

The green tree snake photo above was taken there. Not far from The Falls Teahouse where another steak pie would go down well.

Only 168 Km round trip but the Gillies twice so tiring but fun. Got out early and it was nice an cool - no rain this time.
Got waved over at 8 am just before The Gillies for a DUI...2 min and gone - not my photo
High Range DUI

The park was gorgeous with lots of birds and

Trying to identify these waders...should be easy ...yeah Black WIng Stilt
Black-winged Stilt | Queensland Wader Study Group new for me.
AM-JKLX9aOM5xCgmeGgnOvMhrXS3ZdjoPKkvxgJfCSGIhBKGOYNgMSYU-P92dUfobjv0ZicWIfE3XgtUqSc3diYctfg8lsqd_eFLcCIhIzXIU6tM4xALwMfu85Fc9tSlcR_1MRYUp7lebFC5KXo1J_xRf3-VSQ=w1288-h686-no

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at Nov, 21    2021    1.39.59 PM.jpgthe fattest roo evah showed up Not the sharpest pic but at 400 meters I'll take it.
Green winged teal flashing its badge.
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at Nov, 21    2021    1.46.30 PM.jpg
Egret looking iconic on one leg
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at Nov, 21    2021    1.49.18 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at Nov, 21    2021    1.48.08 PM.jpg

a real treat ...roseate spoonbill. My camera is not great at birds in flight but this shot worked out nicely
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at Nov, 21    2021    1.46.07 PM.jpg
1637477316041.png
Some pelicans decided to use the sunning log along with a diver.
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at Nov, 21    2021    1.36.29 PM.jpg
Bin chicken ...aka ibis... Australians got no respect....
Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at Nov, 21    2021    4.16.42 PM.jpg
Snake-necked Australian Darter posed nicely
1637527076464.png
What a treat lots of species including roseate spoonbill. Much fun, mid 20s and mostly sunny plus a steak pie for brunch. Easy run -
Pie was yummy - home at 1.30.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at Nov, 21    2021    1.43.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at Nov, 21 2021 1.43.37 PM.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Too hot today ..was 31 at 10am going to 33 real...full sun. Barely avoiding AC but our Hailku fan is doing its job.

something to be said for AC - down to 29 inside at 5 pm and drier. I did get a lot done and if I get my flyer out tonight will take a decent ride tomorrow ...hell don't even mind if I get wet.
Always fun playing in the puddles

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at Nov, 30    2021    7.06.29 PM.jpg
Yay got the flyer out, nice temps now at 4 am but that was a hot day. Should get in a ride. Not a breath of wind..0 knots....and some rain lurking offshore. If it didn't mess up my glasses/visor I'd welcome light showers. I'm sure I will get my fill of those in the next four months.

There is a causeway under there
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at Nov, 24    2021    4.17.47 AM.jpg
figure the water was 3m higher the day before. Normally I can ride across the causeway
1637691991535.png
a couple of KM downriver.

Last edited:
Ah damn ...partner wimped out ...with good reason she'd been out all day so we ate curry and watched the last of Season 5 of The Expanse...now patiently waiting for Season 6 plus the 9th book. :rolleyes:
Nice breeze on the deck at 4 am and was looking for a longer ride but we'll see if this goes away first..bit heavier than showers.
1637776500474.png

Not looking good ...this rain not showers. Cooler tho.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-11-26 at Nov, 26    2021    4.08.49 PM.jpgRained last night but got for a 200 km loop alternating light rain showers but felt nice.
Hotter now down by the ocean but still very nice breeze and a fan ...no problem. Tempted by a swim but maybe tomorrow and come earlier inside the stinger net.
File:Marine stinger net, Ellis Beach, 2018.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Vinegar for use on marine stings' sign and first aid kit, Cape Tribulation,  Daintree N.P., Queensland, Australia, September Stock Photo - Alamy
More remote beaches like Daintree have bottles of vinegar easily available for stinger incidents

And yes Dorothy they CAN kill you.

Hehe built in cooling ...2 packets of frozen gyoza tucked in my jacket ...hey half price. The pizza take away box and camera bag were occupying the top case. Camera bag over shoulder, one gyoza in top case along with laptop and sundry other items...and a 10 min ride to home. Hey half price so one bag of prawn gyoza makes 2 tasty meals each for $8.50.
Kb Frozen Prawn Gyoza 750g

Last edited:
Dodged the rain yesterday more by luck than anything else...nice light rain at 4.30 am - frogs in chorus ...stupid annoying chirping bird just started :(
Have to switch to headphones ....damn thing is so disrupting....Stones will keep me awake

shopping

Like Bailey's with my coffee and looked for a substitute ....this is half the price and very tasty. $15 for 750ml tax in.
They make it easy to buy liquor here ...ordered online - ready for pickup in store. Need a few other bits from Coles as well....enough for a short jaunt. Might be out for lunch with relatives. Never turn down a free lunch. :D

Last edited:
Serious sun at 2 pm ...you'd think that would turn into a rollicking great T-storm ...nah just a tease
1637986778649.png
and a bin chicken aka ibis scouting the neighborhood
1637987001714.png
Ugh 28 feels like 32 at 8.30 pm.
Going to try for ride in morning.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at Nov, 28    2021    10.22.02 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-11-28 at Nov, 28    2021    10.22.22 AM.jpg
Will wonders never cease ....(y)...got that midnight Tstorm after all...nothing epic but air much drier and temps down.

Up and down the Gillies in a 4 hour window was tiring in a good way ..a few boy racers coming down while I was heading up looked very good - one nearly knee down on tight sweeper. For once was not overtaken on the way down - brakes and rubber very reassuring.

Nother Tstorm in progress tho very mild so far ....rain welcome. Getting a good drenching by Ontario standards tho not by tropical Aus reference where 5" or more in an evening will arrive on occasion later in monsoon season with little todo about it. The city is well prepared for it tho some people need to be airlifted off major highways getting caught out by flooding every year. Was fun on the KLR splashing through flooded roads. Not so sure about the CB300 tho the ABS is a welcome addition.
Cairns rain 24 hours
InchesDateMillimetres
8.57March 26, 2018217.7
5.32October 19, 2017135.1
9.73February 08, 2015247.1

Last edited:
View attachment 52395View attachment 52394
Will wonders never cease ....(y)...got that midnight Tstorm after all...nothing epic but air much drier and temps down.

Up and down the Gillies in a 4 hour window was tiring in a good way ..a few boy racers coming down while I was heading up looked very good - one nearly knee down on tight sweeper. For once was not overtaken on the way down - brakes and rubber very reassuring.

Nother Tstorm in progress tho very mild so far ....rain welcome. Getting a good drenching by Ontario standards tho not by tropical Aus reference where 5" or more in an evening will arrive on occasion later in monsoon season with little todo about it. The city is well prepared for it tho some people need to be airlifted off major highways getting caught out by flooding every year. Was fun on the KLR splashing through flooded roads. Not so sure about the CB300 tho the ABS is a welcome addition.
Cairns rain 24 hours
InchesDateMillimetres
8.57March 26, 2018217.7
5.32October 19, 2017135.1
9.73February 08, 2015247.1
9 or 10" in 24 hours? Holy crap. Glad we visited in a drought.

Where were you?
We rarely have a drought in Cairns it's simply the dry season. Other parts of Aus for sure have intense droughts.
A monsoonal rainfall is insane.

Where were you?
We rarely have a drought in Cairns it's simply the dry season. Other parts of Aus for sure have intense droughts.
A monsoonal rainfall is insane.
We were a little south. Roughly Eungella to Sydney. Eungella was the driest it had been in decades apparently during the rainy season that we were there.

It happens .....PDO and El Nino or La Nina ( this year ) can show big swings in rainfall in various areas.

Got a nice soak tonight and air much cooler now at 10 am.

Being on the ocean keeps the climate a bit more stable.

Back
Top Bottom