Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 31 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

came across this in my photos and loved it ..
1633413310169-png.94210

no riding, no painting....a warm tropical day to a read a book cover to cover.
1633421139824-png.94211

off to supper and trivia with friends....a rather enjoyable day.

How are the COVID lockdowns going there?

I keep hearing things in the news, including a new mystery case in Brisbane, and low vax rates in the far north, but it'd be nice to hear from someone on the ground, so to speak.

Well we are about 2500 km from the nearest lockdown. It's sort of like talking about Toronto and Miami
Brisbane has two new cases - it's 1600 km away.

Melbourne and Sydney are still in lockdown but making progress and again you have to put things in perspective.
all of Australia since pandemic began 25.7 million population
Total Cases 111,000
Total Deaths 1,357
Delta is a challenge for the two big cities comparable to Toronto but cases are finally there dropping enough to ease lockdowns.

Queensland since pandemic began - 5.1 million population
Total cases 2014
Total deaths 7

Ontario 14.5 million population
Total cases 589,000
Total deaths 9,757

You can do the math.

Off for a short ride on a hot sunny tropical day with little wind.

SInce I arrived in January I've had 3 days of lockdown based on one case in Cairns
14 days quarantine in a luxury hotel on the Gold Coast....fed and watered and tested 3 times and nice views of ocean and river from the extensive balcony on the 17th floor.
AM-JKLWlHfB9AtjqFWmOl9IDdmxW3XzJQjieS3LDrf_Aa-5gbEgk9o-WOS_MfH7CygtpGzep0WEDdfSEufz6O47JWMxe5xzHIbP5gBAQEkq5-EAJP_yiDSH99c_W_8NTrnyYrDhKpV5ZYHZ4T0hamASR9HCEIA=w1043-h847-no

AM-JKLVEi05gFsH2Z9AjGmKuFf_4G5-QJxA4FILG8a6kqTZxmnEai31I1Q778t0NlgLVVuclUBkw4llNAeD6YTQNRH7vGgB6KcvWUZb1O-Q5yeZOn_GWvzeI9fVhwFFWniCfgmkc-LqeUU_1Z3X0QJJGkfJ1Ig=w1327-h748-no

Last edited:
Partner is the handy person but this has seemingly stumped her. Should be straight forward hooks sink to drain ....or not. Multiple trips to Bunnings ( think Home Hardware on a large scale - ) Bunnings Warehouse | Australia's DIY, Garden & Hardware Store
1633591089801.png

has not yet provided a fix and and awful lot of muttering coming from the new laundry room. All is done 'cept this.

Painting for a couple of hours today in the morning...more tomorrow and a short ride at noon to get bread and a $6 whopper deal I'd been trying to get on the app sorted. Seems the app does not like my Canadian region phone and there are too many knock on issues to switch region. Swiped partners retired iPhone 8 and got it a KFC and Big Jacks apps down with no simm card. KFC has 9 pcs for $9 which provides at least 3 lunches and a couple of late night snacks for a few days.
Burger King could not get a licence for the name in Australia so did Big Jacks which is the same in all but the name ....when the name came free Big Jacks was so entrenched
MacDonalds which I rarely visit has morphed into Maccas in local chat for reasons known only to Aussies.
I like to hit local cafes etc for lunch and keep it under $10 but can do better if unhealthier with fast food at times.

Was hot today at 31 but 49% humidity was a treat. Off to make an omelette for supper for us and a couple of Dr Who tho I must admit I liked the earlier ones with David Tennant and Matt Smith. Very cute companion tho crosses over.
jenna1.jpg

Last edited:
I did say I hated painting. Well it's done ...was getting very frustrated as hard to tell where the new paint was but it dried perfectly smooth.
Jude having a well deserved beer and watering the garden.
1633675847945.png
Tomorrow I ride.

Last edited:
Well not unless I get some :sleep: Pulled an all nighter ...paying for it now.CoffeeOwl.jpg
Yup paid for it. Had a leisurely lunch at the Bowls club with family and walked home. Woke up at supper.
Ride tomorrow morning tho (y)
this weather is too good to miss.

Being treated to a Canadian Thanksgiving tomorrow by a friend here. 🍽

The weather is so nice without rain and low wind might spend a day at Green Island

Locals get the trip out for $66 and there is snorkeling from shore which I greatly prefer.

What a difference a solid nights sleep makes. !!!

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at Oct, 10    2021    1.40.14 PM.jpg
Neat topic on my motorcycle forum weekly contest had one of my best rides in a while getting it. Herberton only has 855 people.

Perfect riding day, left at 7.30 am ...quick ride up the Gillies with little traffic...stop at Herberton for museum pic and coffee and scones. Then back down the Palmerston which I've not done in a long time and enjoyed it. Home at 1 ish.
This made me laugh
Screen Shot 2021-10-10 at Oct, 10    2021    2.29.46 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Got the bike up on the paddock stand for some maintenance tomorrow morning when it is cooler.
Major shopping trip at the main shopping mall for Cairns...carts are designed so they roll onto the escalator and cannot be budged til they roll off. Clever that
1633937671740.png
Bit nerve racking when someone stands looking at their phone at the bottom...very hard to stop a loaded cart. Near miss today.

Had lovely mostly free meal at the Salt House courtesy of one of our trivia wins. Even with a $60 voucher we still spent $34 more.
Still we love the setting and the food was very good. We split a unique tiramisu for desert.
Lots of eateries along the boardwalk by the marina on Cairns Inlet ...and yes there are crocs in there on occasion.
1633938237836.png

1633938287753.png
Tour boats, deep sea fishing excursions and helicopter rides all based here,
Over 3 million tourists and other visitors arrived in Cairns in 2019. This figure includes 799,000 international visitors, over 1.1 million domestic overnight visitors and over 1.1 million domestic day trip visitors
The main port for Great Barrier Reef visits is Port Douglas 50 km north and a wicked good ride to get there. Likely where I'm heading tomorrow morning.
Even the Clintons enjoyed it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well I tell you it was not much cooler ... 27 at 9 am ...and work area in full sun. Got the chain lubed and managed to check the oil. The dealer had it a bit overfull so needed to peer closely to see....was just below the top of the glass but clearly had not used any since the change ....happy with that.
All going well and I decided to check under the buddy seat since it had unexpectedly popped up on the long ride yesterday. Had a casual look but with dark sunglasses on and in the shade when it happeded but nothing looked amiss so made sure it was locked down and carried on.
This morning tho I noticed the top case was loose and checked again......damn !!!

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at Oct, 12    2021    10.32.00 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at Oct, 12    2021    10.31.32 AM.jpg

One Shad mount had snapped entirely and the other was cracking.
One of the four mounting bolts was missing. ( the one fully broken )
The bolt on the other side was finger tight. :eek:
That could have been nasty losing that top case and rack entirely on the highway if I hit a bad bump at speed.

Given the rust I think this was a progressive failure and that the four bolts need a a lock washer of some sort to prevent them vibrating loose.Lock Washer Vs Nylon Lock Nut, Which Washers Performs Under Pressure? - The  Key Lock Guide
I think the missing bolt worked it’s way out and the the uneven pressure on the others cracked the one mount, loosened another bolt which then allowed that mount to start to crack as it moved in the normal course of riding. Didn't overload the case ...just swim and fishing gear and some snacks. Camera gear goes in the tank bag. Some lock tight would have been a good idea. :rolleyes:

Got say Ridge Living was really responsive to a warranty claim and came back to me with photo request and they hope to hear from Shad today.

30 feels like 32 already at 11 am ...not sure on a ride. Switched the topcase and small tank bag stuff to the big tank bag - not as convenient but okay for a bit.
Some serious rain lurking but still a week out and they got hammered to the west and a bit south. They need the rain big time...actually so do we but from my stand point the wet can hold off a bit thanks.
FBaKxdTWUAYLJCr

I want to test the jacket and pants in rain but not that kind.

Last edited:
Good news is Shad has honoured the claim as a "courtesy" but reading between the lines they know they have a design issue. They waffled on about needing shims on some bikes tho nothing was supplied. I will put my own lock washers on and locktight. Not sure what the material is that rusts like that. Stainless steel rack would be bulletproof ..I suspect the rack is coated steel tho it almost has a cast look to it and I don't know enough to comment. Both cracked at the same spot just as the vertical bends into the flat mounting. I'm going to check out a welder and maybe get it fixed to have a spare. Might do that anyways and see what they say about reinforcing it as mounting the mounting plate on the rack was a fiddly chore. The welder can reinforce where he thinks best.
shad-top-master-rear-fitting-honda-cbr125r-cbr250r-cbr300r-cb300f.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at Oct, 12    2021    3.34.31 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Damn 27 and a bit muggy but strong sun at 9 am. 🥵 Going to 32 feels like 36.
I actually considered a night ride last night when it was 22 but maybe too many critters about.

Talked to Jude about a road trip to Kakadu National Park ( Yellow Water ) which was wonderfu.
Too hot she says....then too wet. Yup.

already
Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at Oct, 14    2021    12.41.01 PM.jpg

Really need to curate this album

Last edited:
Wow .....Shad rules...replacement rack arrived today. !!! No bolt kit but that is not an issue.
Hope to have it mounted tomorrow if buddy is around. :giggle:
••••

A friend posted up some wonderful fall colours in another forum ...something I will miss here ....however we do have colour but instead of from dying leaves, from new born ones.
The trees shed all year around old wrinkled brown leaf litter and never lose their foliage but as an anti-insect trick new leaves are pink/red
They do change quickly as they mature ( days ). I saw a brilliant red on on a plant that would have made a maple proud but it was a new leaf not a dying leaf.
1634194912165.png

Last edited:
Some sturm n drang out there tonight. Gonna get wet soon. Nice to hear the thunder and feel the cool breath of the storm cells and be tucked in watching Dr. Who.
Screen Shot 2021-10-15 at Oct, 15    2021    6.49.29 PM.jpg and gone:unsure:Screen Shot 2021-10-16 at Oct, 16    2021    3.51.22 AM.jpg
Refitted the top case today but need to pick up lock washers, one new bolt and get buddy to torque them evenly in the morning and hopefully a ride too.
Done and done...quick pickup for the lock washers and all done up on a torque wrench which is overkill but between that, Locktite Blue and lock washers....don't see a re-occurence,
Too damn hot to ride - it got to 34 actual and sunny. This is turning to an El Nino weather system so more rain and more cyclones. Interesting times.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at Oct, 18    2021    6.02.52 AM.jpg

A tropical Bday present showed up on the bedpost ...since returned safely to the rain forest back yard.

Lovely ride again up the Gillies and took it easy as little traffic and no rush.
27 at 10 am even high up on the tableland at Ravenshoe- was good to get out early …no choice these days. Even the wind turbines were idle so little wind.
Having coffee and a pie at
Think I'll have bday treat too.
1634517350622.png
i like this style donut

Lots of locals munching pie and having morning coffee....it's 10 amd on a Monday and the place is packed. That's Austrialian pie which is a fast food staple everywhere - mostly a meat pie with variations. Hot and fresh ...yum
Better mouthfeel than a burger when fresh ( burgers here are marginal and decent ones too $$)
Pies are generally $5

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at Oct, 18    2021    4.17.56 PM.jpg

Good Bday ride, lots of twists, not much traffic at all and much cooler at 1170 meters.

Got some decent shots of jacaranda trees ...glorious solid mauve..all over the place up in the area.
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at Oct, 18    2021    4.13.48 PM.jpg

and a family of curlews in a busy spot.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at Oct, 18    2021    3.07.03 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Taking low maintence to the edge.

Regina has been making chains forever and the tech is solid. Mine is on the way..

With the low power and weight of the CB300F, new Pilots front and rear, fresh full synthetic and filter plus fresh Regina chain and standard Honda sprockets.
I'm thinking 12,000 km before I touch the bike beyond tire pressure and for that I have a TPMS to keep an eye on it.

The Regina chains do not cost a lot more than the standard marques and you gotta know BMW did their due diligence.

Chain arrived ...waiting on tire ...chain must have given the posties start ....looks like a little flat package until you pick it up and it's a lethal weapon.

Last edited:
Damn just set up my monthly log for mileage and realised just under 10k km since mid May ! - 6 months. Now won't get that the next 6 months as wet and hot but still pretty pleased and a couple reasonable months still to go before the wet sets in.
Get up early and go to the Tablelands drops temps a couple of degrees
climate-graph.png

This city has a tropical climate. When compared with winter, the summers have much more rainfall. According to Köppen and Geiger, this climate is classified as Aw. In Cairns, the average annual temperature is 23.2 °C | 73.8 °F. Precipitation here is about 1271 mm | 50.0 inch per year.
The least amount of rainfall occurs in September. The average in this month is 20 mm | 0.8 inch. In February, the precipitation reaches its peak, with an average of 259 mm | 10.2 inch.

climate-graph.png

The driest month is July, with 0 mm | 0.0 inch of rain. Most of the precipitation here falls in February, averaging 111 mm | 4.4 inch.

Atherton is where are considering moving but ......

urk 27 at 11 pm in Cairns ...:cautious: ..well maybe more discussion..... 22 in Atherton. Everyone on the Tablelands has small heaters or woodstoves. It is lovely.
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at Oct, 20    2021    11.32.06 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Extricated the bike from the backyard and off for an early ride shortly. ( 9 am maybe ) Very little wind and a somewhat humid 25 going to 31...typical Cairns weather for October. Might do The Tableland just for the cooler temps but ...hey the Pacific is reasonably cool and decent shade all the way to Daintree Village where tea and scones could await. I'm holding off on the front tire change and just taking it very easy on the use of the rear brake. Glad to be out again.
Partner pulled out her very stylish olive green custom leather motorcycle jacket from 40 years ago and thanks to her effort over the past two years it fit tho is very stiff and needs conditioning. :oops:
She even had matching leather pants...likely looked very hot.
🤫
She does not eat until noon...something I could not do and then is ravenous but for sure it has worked for her.
We eat quite healthy tho a burger or KFC comes my way on occasion.

I definitely can not say the same for my jackets tho the 20 year old Joe Rocket does fit and I use it regularly.
Hi ho...off shortly before it gets too muggy.

Lovely ride up to Mossman ...very little wind, very little traffic. Stopped to check for the resident croc on the way but he must be off in the swamp wooing the ladies.
Treating myself to an iced coffee at my fav workspot in Mossman. Good internet, comfie chairsand pretty views of a nice small town. Cane train rumbled through downtown ...missed the shot.

1635122651516.png

having brunch
1635122878026.png
Busted my budget but then been off for a few days. Yum (y) These guys can cook.!! Mexican style salad with chicken and fresh greens and tomatoes, unexpected treat was some fresh pineapple which are local as well as the coffee.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom