Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

Wow did I get wet ....blue sky all around but not on top of me --- got down the range road mostly then it bucketed down the last 10 km and then of course the sun came out ? been a while since I've been that wet...to the motoskivvies and beyond.

There goes the budget for boots :cry: ...wanted a shorter pair for the Burgman. Damn ticket was in my email box before I got home. One thing nice here all rego is online - no stickers and such - cops just check online that it is paid based on you licence plate.

Last edited:
thanks - all dry from the drenching yesterday ...tropical sun really effective - cept the boots...I'll live.
Yow ....too hot... Nice ride down ( 100k or so each way ). No cassowaries but girl said there are 3 about which is good. No food or coffee ...closed Mon & Tuesday. :rolleyes: Yummy ice cream bar $4.70 each ) and barely kept up with the melt.
images

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at Feb, 23    2021    1.47.59 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at Feb, 24    2021    2.38.13 AM.jpg

a rare blue sky day in rainy season...clouds over Mt Bartle Frere ...the the highest in Queensland. Canefields in the foreground....this is sugar country with patches of rain forest.

Last edited:
thanks - all dry from the drenching yesterday ...tropical sun really effective - cept the boots...I'll live.
Yow ....too hot... Nice ride down ( 100k or so each way ). No cassowaries but girl said there are 3 about which is good. No food or coffee ...closed Mon & Tuesday. :rolleyes: Yummy ice cream bar $4.70 each ) and barely kept up with the melt.
images

View attachment 47143
View attachment 47145

a rare blue sky day in rainy season...clouds over Mt Bartle Frere ...the the highest in Queensland. Canefields in the foreground....this is sugar country with patches of rain forest.
Sorry to hear about all the problems you are facing, I hope you can find a way to enjoy it even with ice cream melting and sunny days..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Currently -2 here, but with some sun....?

Yeah staff in Sauga was crowing about sunshine.
Went out to the Bowls Club up the street last night with our family gang ...very busy - nice to see full tables and people enjoying themselves sans masks.
When you swipe the membership card it location traces you. Very convenient.
My Bluetooth earphones arrived so that ups the riding enjoyment considerably.

Last edited:
1614395263124.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-27 at Feb, 27    2021    1.17.20 PM.jpg
Scored some barely worn Alpinestars for $70 plus some shipping. Much better on the Burgman than the tall Gaerne Trials and cooler. Given up trying to find mesh pants here. Stick with good knee armour and tactical jeans. They dry fast enough and Burgman is protective to a point compared to KLR. Weather will tip down to cooler and drier soon.

Boots on the way - no rush as cyclone offshore…bit of a damper on riding
already blowy bands coming through Cairns

It’s blowing a bit now on the deck but the Cat 2 is well out to sea at this point - we are just in the outer bands
not likely to lose power but possible as the damn thing is meandering all over and mainly sitting and spinning off rain bands
1614566654724.png

1614566671427.png
Buddy back from his trek from Canberra - bedraggled rat I'm told.
Get the Burgman bits up to him tomorrow and go from there.

Last edited:
no cyclone no power all night either fun wow ...hanging at the coffee shop
recharging with coffee food and power for all devices :coffee: (y)

Power back yay. ...goofy cyclone still wandering off shore and away
Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at Mar, 2    2021    2.01.40 PM.jpg
Not so tame tho
we got off light

Intense Winds Lash Northern Queensland as Cyclone Niran Forms

Tropical Cyclone Niran upgraded to category two storm with powerful winds, heavy rainfall lashing north Queensland

Queensland weather: Cyclone Niran strengthening in Queensland's far north

Last edited:
Tart the Burgman up day. (y)
Oil change etc, new windscreen. Bike started instantly after sitting so that's a good sign. Weather gods are cooperating - no rain forecast but higher winds as the cyclone drifts south and gains strength but is farther offshore.
Boots came in too and they fit. Be nice to get the bike well sorted and back to daily riding. Wish I still had the RDL seat like my previous Exec but the Airhawk fits well. Looking forward to having some brakes and a bit of speed over the KLR...tho need to keep those damn radar traps in mind. :eek:
Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at Mar, 3    2021    5.31.17 PM.jpg
....tho of course it's still the wet season. :unsure:

All the best laid plans....sigh. Oil change went okay.
Bike was overheating on the last bit of the ride up and I suspect the rad cooling fan is dodgy. Will check the fuse thio.
Topped up the coolant and it took a fair bit and did not overheat on the way home. (y)
Bike is stiff to move around and brakes were squealing a bit til the surface rust departed.

and then ....the windscreen. Old one came off reasonably tho well nuts tricky. Bottom holes on the new one lined up ...top holes ...:cry:?...so checked on what I ordered and sure enough was a 2013 not 2006. Rode it home with no screen and was actually kinda nice on a hot day.Will proceed from there. Return ...iffy...drill the Givi - likely best.

Tart up day tomorrow if weather permits. Hopefully can get the dealer to clean the wheels a bit when he does the roadworthy on Monday ( safety ). Tire Shine for the dulled grey plastics and just soap and water on the pearl white paint which is well executed. Better be decent on a $15k bike. :rolleyes:
Decided to ride it a while with no windscreen as it's so cool in the heat. Bike feels very low. Put the Airhawk on and will see how a long ride turns out. No turbulence tho need to keep the helmet closed above 60 kph. Can feel a bit of pressure on the shoulders above 100 kph but that's max speed here anyways.
Buddy has agreed to drill the Givi and ordered some new well nuts but might still look for a different solution and sell the Givi. Low priority just now unless I decide to sell the Burgman

Backed the bike into the tight parking spot in the driveway compound as it freewheels okay after a ride. Absolute bear to move in the morning for reasons unknown. Now at least I can pull forward.
Put all the hand gear from the KLR on the Burgman ...throttle lock, cup holder and both cramp busters. Still not entirely relaxed on the Burgman in traffic due to the very different riding position from the KLR....have to think about it a bit. New boots help
I've ALMOST stopped grabbing the left lever and twitching my boot. ?

Got slightly wet but good ride up to Daintree Village. Bike ran very well tho short riding range means I have to keep an eye on the gauge. A bit more than half of the KLR range. crampbusters helpful...throttle lock not quite but will adjust ...the one he had on works fine to hold speed but a bear to release.
Before
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at Mar, 7    2021    11.23.25 AM.jpg

10 min later

IMG_1632.jpg

Pretty Honda cruiser
IMG_1633.jpg
My favourite cheap filling meal on the go ...big pot of tea, fresh baked scones, cream and jam. $10 all in in.
too many flies tho
Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at Mar, 7    2021    11.22.45 AM.jpg
Not too hot ...bit of sun and rain showers. RIde went quickly. Burgman eats up the distance and audio book is treat tho the BT headphones have a channel drop out at times depending on my head position. I think I need larger tips to keep them from shifting.
It's a very enjoyable ride to Daintree Village ...about 110 km each way, lots of twists and gorgeous scenery
Rex lookout on the way back to Cairns
rexburgman copy.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh ..not good news on the roadworthy...quoted $800 :eek: for new front tire, two new rotors and pads. Not surprising given the 93k km but ....
Was laughing with buddy about a shorty windscreen as the "half a busa" meme has been around in the Burgman 650 community for a while
IMG_1627 copy.jpgScreen Shot 2021-03-08 at Mar, 8    2021    9.22.05 PM.jpg

IMG_0782.JPG

We'll see what buddy says about the front end as can't change ownership without the roadworthy.

Ugh ..not good news on the roadworthy...quoted $800 :eek: for new front tire, two new rotors and pads. Not surprising given the 93k km but ....
Was laughing with buddy about a shorty windscreen as the "half a busa" meme has been around in the Burgman 650 community for a while
View attachment 47370View attachment 47371

IMG_0782.JPG

We'll see what buddy says about the front end as can't change ownership without the roadworthy.
Img 782 is broken.

Bit too hot to ride 31 feels like 37 and waiting on the parts to float in ....rotors, front tire etc. Going on a week long road trip to Brisbane by cage a week from now to look at a cello for partner and perhaps a small telescope ....both retirement hobbies for her. Do a bit of sightseeing...1600 km ...and have to watch for roos in morning and evening along one "empty of civilization" stretch.
Will do some birdwatching in Eungella National Park
An amazing diversity of wildlife surrounds you in the park's tall trees, seasonal creeks, hollow logs and leaf litter. Some species here are found nowhere else. For about 30,000 years, wide corridors of dry open forest have isolated Eungella's rainforest. Moisture-loving species—unable to cross these corridors—have evolved here into distinct local forms.

Eungella offers excellent opportunities to view wildlife. Look out for platypus, eels and turtles from the platform at Broken River.

Go spotlighting at night. You can see greater gliders, tawny frogmouths, sugar gliders and brushtail possums. Go birdwatching during the day. You might see rainbow lorikeets, red-browed finches and blue-faced honeyeaters. A rustle from the forest floor and a green flash of feathers will draw your eyes to noisy pittas foraging in leaf litter. Their distinctive 'walk-to-work' call carries clearly through the rainforest.

Eungella's forests provide a refuge for unusual frogs. Secretive Eungella tinkerfrogs are found only here in the Clarke Range. They are a rare sight but you might hear them calling from rocky creek margins—listen for a short series of metallic ‘tinks’.

Back
Top Bottom