2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!) | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 MotoGP Discussion (No Links - Contains Spoilers!)

Chaos

Thought I would start a 2021 discussion thread for MotoGP.

Shout to @BigEvilDoer for starting this last year.

Here are the teams and riders for this year:

Gresini Aprilia:
Lorenzo Savadori - RS-GP Factory
Aleix Espargaro - RS-GP Factory

Factory Ducati:
Jack Miller (1 MotoGP win; 6 Moto3 wins) - GP21 Factory
Pecco Bagnaia (Moto2 champion) - GP21 Factory

Pramac Ducati:
Jorge Martin (2 Moto2 wins; Moto3 champion) - GP21 Factory
Johann Zarco (2x Moto2 champion) - GP21 Factory

Esponorama (Avintia) Ducati:
Luca Marini (6 Moto2 wins) - GP19 Spec
Enea Bastianini (Moto2 champion) - GP19 Spec

Factory Honda:
Marc Marquez (6x MotoGP champion; Moto2 champion, 125cc champion) - RC213V Factory
Pol Espargaro (Moto2 champion) - RC213V Factory

LCR Honda:
Taka Nakagami (2 Moto2 wins) - RC213V Factory
Alex Marquez (Moto2 champion; Moto3 champion) - RC213V Factory

Factory KTM:
Brad Binder (1 MotoGP win; 8 Moto2 wins; Moto3 champion) - RC16 Factory
Miguel Oliviera (2 MotoGP win; 2 Moto2 wins; 6 Moto3 wins)- RC16 Factory

Tech3 KTM:
Danillo Petrucci (2 MotoGP wins) - RC16 Factory
Iker Lecuona - RC16 Factory

Factory Suzuki:
Joan Mir (MotoGP champion; Moto3 champion) - GSX-RR Factory
Alex Rins (3 MotoGP wins; 4 Moto2 wins; 8 Moto3 wins) - GSX-RR Factory

Factory Yamaha:
Fabio Quartararo (3 MotoGP wins; 1 Moto2 win) - M1 Factory
Maverick Vinales (8 MotoGP wins; 4 Moto2 wins; Moto3 champion) - M1 Factory

SRT Yamaha:
Valentino Rossi (7x MotoGP/500cc champion; 250cc champion; 125cc champion) - M1 Factory
Franco Morbidelli (3 MotoGP wins; Moto2 champion) - M1 A-Spec (2019)

Last edited:
Post for Additional Info:

MotoGP News Sites I tend to look into:

General News and Interview Quotes
MotoGP

News and Opinion
GPone.com (Note: this one is like a tabloid but does offer rider interviews)

Team Launch News

Ducati Launch: Ducati reveals revised 2021 MotoGP bike livery
KTM and Tech3 Launch: Tech3 unveils striking new MotoGP livery as KTM launches 2021 season
Esponorama Launch: Avintia unveils new-look 2021 MotoGP team with Marini and Bastianini
Yamaha Launch: Yamaha launches 2021 MotoGP season with revised line-up
LCR Launch (Marquez only): FIRST LOOK: Alex Marquez in LCR Honda MotoGP colours
LCR Launch (Takayama only): FIRST LOOK: Takaaki Nakagami's 2021 Idemitsu LCR livery
Honda Launch: Honda takes the covers off its 2021 MotoGP challenger
Pramac Launch: Ducati satellite team Pramac unveils new MotoGP livery for 2021
SRT Launch: Petronas SRT unveils 2021 MotoGP livery with Rossi and Morbidelli
Gresini Aprilia Launch: Aprilia reveals new 2021 MotoGP bike, confirms rider line-up
Suzuki Launch: MotoGP champions Suzuki unwrap 2021 bike

2022 Silly season:

Factory Aprilia:
Aleix Espargaro
Maverick Vinales

Gresini Ducati:
Fabio DiGianantonio
Enea Bastianini

Factory Ducati:
Jack Miller
Pecco Bagnaia

Pramac Ducati:
Jorge Martin
Johann Zarco

VR46 Ducati:
Luca Marini
Marco Bezzechi?

Factory Honda:
Marc Marquez
Pol Espargaro

LCR Honda:
Taka Nakagami
Alex Marquez

Factory KTM:
Brad Binder
Miguel Oliviera

Tech3 KTM:
Remy Gartner
Raul Fernandez

Factory Suzuki:
Joan Mir
Alex Rins

Factory Yamaha:
Fabio Quartararo
Franco Morbidelli

RNF Yamaha:
Darren Binder
Andrea Dovizioso

Last edited:
I have a feeling mm93 may not be competitive / competing this season.
we should see in a couple months ?
haven't really heard anything definitive

anyone thinking more positive?

Here is my current rider ranking chart going into 2021. It's very arguable, so have at it!

MMarquez
Mir
Rins
Morbidelli
Vinales
Oliviera
Quartararo
Binder
Miller
PEspargaro
Bagnaia
AMarquez
Rossi
Petrucci
Zarco
Martin
Bastianini
Nakagami
Marini
AEspargaro
Lecuona
Savadori

The big x-factor in this list for me is Jorge Martin. I might have probably underranked him because he's got a lot of speed, but simulateously, Bastianini and Marini both outscored him in Moto2 last year. I feel though he has the most potential out of the group coming from Moto2 this season. We will see...

Additional Editting armchair punditry:

I ranked Marquez #1 since he's still the most accomplished champion (less Rossi) BUT he and his team have been coy in news coming from Marquez, so we'll see what happens there.

If he can't race, you'll see Suzuki and KTM fight for the top.

In spite a several wins for Yamaha, I am not sure their bike will fix some of their plaguing issues - that will cost their riders some fights.

As a Rossi fan (Italian heritage), it pains me to put him that low on the list, but I don't like his chances at a podium let alone a race win. I hope I am wrong. Hell, I hope he reads this, and it angers him to the point of winning every race this season.

Aprilia's lineup is probably the lowest quality since they rejoined MotoGP. IMO, their season is a write-off before it even starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: J_F
Here is my current rider ranking chart going into 2021. It's very arguable, so have at it!

Marquez
Mir
Rins
Morbidelli
Vinales
Oliviera
Quartararo
Binder
Miller
PEspargaro
Bagnaia
AMarquez
Rossi
Petrucci
Jarco
Martin
Bastianini
Nakagami
Marini
AEspargaro
Lecuona
Savadori

The big x-factor in this list for me is Jorge Martin. I might have probably underranked him because he's got a lot of speed, but simulateously, Bastianini and Marini both outscored him in Moto2 last year. I feel though he has the most potential out of the group coming from Moto2 this season. We will see...

just what i was thinking lol

I have a feeling mm93 may not be competitive / competing this season.
we should see in a couple months ?
haven't really heard anything definitive

anyone thinking more positive?

News coming from Marquez/Honda has been super vague. They just had news release a few days ago:

a "favourable clinical situation" whatever that means.

He definitely won't be 100% for the start. I also think the odds of him missing a few races are high.

#9 Miller

#11 Bagnaia

more pain for Ducati, I see you predict
can't get the bike to work with the Michelin rear

think Fabio is going to struggle with the 2021 M1?
I do too, and Vale

and agree Frankie will be the #1 Yamaha racer
and couldn't happen for a nicer guy

this could be the year that Mav blows his stack in anger
imagine how good he would have been on the Yamaha 5 years ago

I wouldn't call it a prediction per se, just how I rank the riders, while trying to minimize the effect of the bike on my perception of performance. It's entirely possible that the Ducati bike can kick arse, and Miller/Bagnaia will have victories, but talent wise, they are mid-pack of the gp riders, until they prove they're more.

I'd like to see Miller do more than race up front only to fade - it was predictable.

Bagnaia has shown sprinkles of dominance, but he has not yet broken out.

Now to be fair, they were both on Pramac bikes, which may or may not have had optimal support, but they are now on the big boy bikes, so no more excuses.

Morbidelli is not getting a factory spec Yamaha this year.

Not getting a 2020 bike last year was probably the reason him and Fabio did so well. Factory Yamahas really took a step backwards that season.

Not getting a 2020 bike last year was probably the reason him and Fabio did so well. Factory Yamahas really took a step backwards that season.

Fabio had a 2020 spec bike, his lack of performance was more to due with the inconsistency of the 2020 M1 tire combo and the nerves from leading the championship so early on. Mav and Rossi had no excuse and this season will tell whther all 3 factory spec bikes were placed in the right hands again, and Franco once again will have the older bike which he came in 2nd in the championship with:

If he outperforms both Mav and Fabio again this year, as he will most definitely outpace Rossi, Yamaha have to really start asking some serious questions about thier lineup and may need to start from scratch; not least of which why they got rid of Lorenzo after less than a season with almost no testing and a strong opening 2-3 rounds, but also more importantly WTF is going on in the Yamaha development camp in general?

Suzuki have out-matched them in every conceivable way in such a short time and got the first non-marquez title since 2016 when Lorenzo last took one for Yamaha. Suzuki are looking to be the best overall team-package on the grid with Mir and Rins making the package work for them. FAvide Ducati will probably be the rest of the best but unless a fully fit Marc is on that bike mid season I see Mir and Rins fighting for the title, I'm already looking for where I can place a bet on both of them as the tracks this year will be about the same (mainly European with some TBD overseas races).

Last edited:
Dunno. KTM has a lot of momentum going into this season.

Very true, I forgot about how close Pol got with it on so many circuits and all the success Olivera and Binder had over the season. I still think Miller is a better pilot so if he has Gigi in his corner, at least for now, he may have the support he needs to ride the bike they way it was intended. I still think Mav should have gone to Ducati, and Pecco could have done another 2 seasons on that Pramac, I fear he may end up the same way as Petrux with just 2 wins and not much else to show for it despite promising early results.

I'm thinking Franco will be my rider of choice for the title this year. Assuming Marc doesn't come back early and is quickly up to 100%. If I recall Franco came really close to winning the title. I believe he was taken out on a few races that were out if his control. Keeping him on the old bike is the way to go.He knows how to ride that bike and be consistent. I think Millar will also do well this year. Would love to see Rossi win one last race before he retires and is competitive this year.

I really want Morbidelli to do well, but the Yamaha bike is an enigma. Also, it's unclear what the 'A-spec' is. If it's a 2020, then he'll probably struggle the same way the factory bikes did this past season, while the 2021 should be better. If it's the 2019 spec, then he rides a 2 year old bike.

Morbidelli is a talented rider that can obviously win races, but he was fortuitous in the the 2019 spec that he was riding was arguably better than the 2020, which is not supposed to happen. Law of averages suggests to me that the equipment is going to hamper him unfortunately.

Added which spec of bike each rider is running based on the news i've read (and memory to be honest)

All riders are running factory/2021 spec (though, i suspect the satellite teams get the factory spec on a delay) except:

Marini, Bastianini are running GP19 bikes (not the GP20!)
Morbidelli is running the M1 A-spec, but it's not clear if that will be a 2020 frame or a 2019 frame. (article below suggests 2020)

Takagi was running a 2019 honda last year, and he is upgrading to factory spec this year. Honda, KTM, and Ducati are all running 4 2021 spec bikes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom