Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia | Page 46 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding Down Under - Tropical Cairns Australia

5k km on the ebike - nicely warmed - small sweat, heart rate 118 when got back — dropping now - I think I shifted gears but hard to tell but pace was okay once i did - pedal assist 2-3 - in the middle - waiting on rear view mirror - one idjit driver pulled out her driveway right in front of me on the bike lane - lucky i was going slow - the bike gets to 20+= kph so quick - but think i got the seat height correct so could extend legs…need to work on my take off ….akin to albatross on land 🤪

Last edited:
We had talked about taking one of the Australian luxury train trips but saved a few thousand tonight doing a virtual version.
We've been to Darwin, Katharine Gorge and Alice Springs and have a "first in a while" trip to Adelaide in Sept. coming up/
The food was great looking but would be too much for us to eat.
Least expensive is $3k each for 3 days and for that kind of money there are other adventures in mind including New Zealand.
The video is an okay but brief look at the landscapes south to north on this size large island continent.

A few cold weather records were broken in the recent week.
..looks like that is over for a while and upper teen lows plus mid 20s and sunny coming up will let me get some mcycling in while doing some daily ebike rides in the morning when it's cool.
Then get on the Honda midday as it warms up faster now.
Quite nice now at 11 pm at 17c and that's as low as it gets tonight.
Solar dog won't be quite so eager to hit the morning sun patches.
Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at Jul, 15    2022    10.57.57 PM.jpg

Best ride yet on the eBike with 10+ km and much more confidence.
Mostly rode with the traffic as set up a slightly different route making it easier at the one round about and the route had another roundabout which was easily navigated and led me home going the correct direction on the bike lane - just have to remember what I did.
Even the seat did not bother me much. Still some resilience in the old bod..emphasis on old
Still the warm up and sweat very good for me. Come back with good energy and actually had fun. Listened to an audio book and that's the key to my getting longer rides in just as with the mcycle.
Too much on the go to get a long mcycle ride tomorrow but have errands I will do on it and then perhaps a long ride the next day which looks excellent. I must admit the mcycle seat is waaaaay more comfortable than the ebike but I'm getting used to the ebike ...old dogs and tricks. :rolleyes:
A week until the mirror arrives....

Last edited:
eBike
Much warmer today ....got out after traffic and flapped around the larger neighborhood.
Further afield today turned left at roundabout down Mcmanus which would be my route to Redlynch and Coles, then cut back left without any specific route - ended up at Piccones Supermarket which has the Aus Post and other stores....that's useful too and rode home …the only scary bit was a double dump truck in a narrow bike lane section …..I did NOT expect that on that street. Not sure he was supposed to be there. Always the correct direction on the bike path this time and some nice drivers that saw me at an intersection and waited til I pedalled past. 125 heart beat when I got home - down to 90 now - figured out the shifter a bit. Battery getting down - will let it drop more. Take off still not mindless...have to think about it.

Mcycle
Heading to doc appointment at 2 pm...was thinking of the Gillies after but might be smarter to leave now and end up at docs on the way home.....get to Barrine before the lunch rush. Sounds a plan. Hasties swamp a bit far.
Maybe tomorrow.
Now that partners mum has passed will get more riding in - plus can get out earlier since nto so chilly in the morning.
Tempting to ride to Mossman for the show but have not even posted the photos from last year yet and the wrong direction for doctor.
This is a holiday weekend and towns have fairs and horse shows etc ...think CNE but smaller and the time varies from town to town.
Horses flying
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at Jul, 18    2022    10.11.56 AM.jpg
Cute riders in tight pants
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at Jul, 18    2022    10.24.12 AM.jpg
mcycles flying - it was a good show that lasted a while ...lots wheelies for the crowd.
1658103252777.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-18 at Jul, 18    2022    10.12.37 AM.jpg
People flying
1658104287167.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at Jul, 18    2022    10.20.26 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at Jul, 18    2022    10.19.42 AM.jpg
and bashing about
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at Jul, 18    2022    10.24.57 AM.jpg

and starting them young
Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at Jul, 18    2022    10.25.15 AM.jpgem young on the quads which are popular here.
More fair photos if interested ...need to be pruned

Decent fair food and this was in a complete No Covid period July 2021 ...so no masks. Masks only started in 2022 when Omicron arrived.
This years event
Think I'm going native...
1658107417555.jpeg

Last edited:
Beeauooootiful day in Cairns ...25 light fluffy clouds ....slight wind and lunch at Skybury.
https://skybury.com.au

Bike running well, got my new Itchy Boots tube scarf which works well to damp sound, keep the gap in the jacket sealed up and doubles as a mask.
1658198167667.png

also grabbed the socks.
1658198268594.png
Finding her stuff well thought out and designed tho on the pricey side. Still want to support her.
The hoodie I got earlier has been a treat - I even slept in it when it got down to 11. No heat sucks. 🥶
High teens now at night and mid 20s during the day ...sweet riding weather.

seasons over tens of thousands of years remain a constant in human existence
Messages Image(3261724872).png
Spun the ebike to the barber ( who now wants one :D ) and around the neighborhood a bit. Just about time for a charge. Good idea if I read the manual. :unsure:

Last edited:
Finally got out for a decent ride on The Tablelands. 200 km loop and I was beat by the time I got home for reasons unknown even tho really enjoyed the ride.
Flocks of Magpie Geese and Brown Ducks tho not a lot of variety ...just hundreds and hundreds.
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at Jul, 23    2022    3.51.22 AM.jpg
ancient goose branch,..ugly and awkard yet fantastic flyers and can perch in trees ( make sense given crocodiles ) and big food source for aboriginals even now.
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at Jul, 23    2022    3.57.35 AM.jpg

Couple of Greater Egrets ....that I thought might be Brolgas. Could not tell til I got the pics home ....that across the lake photos were a stretch even for the 800 mm Leica
A4rfMK8Z4YogVPQ74t6wFuCEndrmZaA2MZw7JpGli75RtToKmX9z6zNZKYYeFJmFYF5twbKM1ro76k4hU18zq5woQY9SDf7DYvVH5mtgVFGLmQvc-9XCZ_BMxqPdMGrOvaKB7UtS08V2hj_bDXx2jlxfq8-9PG_fSeAgSWtdUpkLy_j7S1kV_unMFVERCsuqDcRwydeyQmJStL8tF0I26Zhv_Ede4_hFX38V5_1aokz2jtAW9vGoqLUEVbgKoQAgLXtCZo8dK-1JYkGQvd0yie8fJ1ts1gpfaUCpSoe1VsEGD1zKSAvEipRwRH5T7E6wxoyakiO6U1tLRsk8JkO81kqLOFNfpTWfjypoE81y0366AIJgV1cF5NiTqw5njZqvx1BOEOr81MBOiLQUfBoq5rzo5pKN16AcE-uKhpsMDq1Cm8AJoBBMLOMo1CmHkICL3wz3EYWXbTA2YGGYo-ovGgSdmNem6Gm0gDLE0rQYLOmCfTKnDE9_xdFnozx2cAOB034F9Hx9qqkxgzDa9sRbslY1yuPGHMjdJSXcZGn_yCrH61nqbMZAW9OEQL2B26vDnigfdEp7LQOJQsjmy0osTv0FI8-83pP41J0IqYsmIUxOhW_VbbG5sZko98ubA--L_P2ZspK2Db3bpOL3wzG-KyPKY9epzYPAV14iNKQSOeviiIPwAr6kWmMKsdv-IFs_-ugNfM21VOruJlVU0DxbryjYF4-U0cPYPMPSUfyfX3_xwHbqbpuuyAJATElYwuyQB4gaSrb72SJETZ1jkCTzt2ga-qcWwIhymOEp0o1Jxv6CxiGjw6fyG5b9tNYTplpo12dz5g=w1064-h681-no

Acres of ducks on one side and geese on the other - this was with the 350 mm - gives you an idea of the reach of that Leica.
1REARRtUSZDwA7IxPiVSbfW0fJao0RxXL7-awxeqByMi6N7O5FuW0MIM8M7-B3NV_BP8ivGC-KzfeJQxnUSXeuT5nnjmYawk964Lm5iRNcC-IQmy1c3sBmcMRrjh1vFtN2OM71zQ8o5Gx-E86LXBuz2oYljfeDFtDoBpJUD9bToFHaxb6AJ61Z_TOxK7NZPLS9WxSl8HdULSpQ0swDEcG70gwJUI091PnVB29sX0wxvTgNFJ12NUm5gyfBbufsmDxstoH-dDT6BPDRyoLqFBEWivAIwjojkz9O-MOmzy9a2YB_eBDkqSbNYLf5elzkVoszssnJky6AOGWKJIjMaimjRZocs-Jaa_z26xzlEKh4qcS00TZl3JnJYpKf3QaypvYj0kIY3SH2xRbd700TWw_k0WNQmKpPLwuzHdXOo6uEJeuPdaH--x0vtkzqPuAfsN5Ze3FYr2kcCYhcyb-fNFAyps2ShI_jco4X9YK9Aqwk4sROGFk9L97TaX2oK3QktAKwvtaMGY1XlH-Qco-SL77f-JGPm0r_3RJb1VEkgoedbvZEKx3TrWlVNWIPajuIdz6Nz9686KGCyhsnBJnnWICLerg6qwne3Ya1KgdxjPcy1BuydYS9IPwdrwS4MGD5wcPSAaKLySdw3T1r3SsSKfl983pDdRIPNY5_eVQROch836kNbst9_mLCq9naEGkYyPQQx_oIK77QOf6eazr3qF1uInZ9aMjwCVj1vuFHJN7EVHJDr8oZcm_IBNwAHiIzIb-HAB2SmrQdUWJwF_JqYXRUnqNCppY_Kyy4GO1nGOs8a5xZXE_l_a5yMDsoNq8OQix19Blw=w1332-h1000-no

Love the primary feathers on the Brown Ducks ..looks like they are painted on.
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at Jul, 23    2022    3.50.58 AM.jpg

Art shot of the day ....could not get a look at the Ahinga otherwise and he posed nicely.
Screen Shot 2022-07-23 at Jul, 23    2022    3.46.52 AM.jpg

Noraly having too much fun, New tires, new suspension and a crazy twisty desert ride (y) She is pumped.

Btw if you have a 4k screen use Chrome to get the full experience since she is filming in 4k the whole way Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at Jul, 24    2022    5.33.09 AM.jpg
Of course she's in her element as a geologist. Good episode.

Just as I was going out to ride to the post office on the eBike the rearview mirror arrived and what a relief to have it. It's below the handlebar on the right so have view behind me when I'm in the left hand bike lane.
Nicely adjustable and aside from navigating the cables to get oriented works very well and now able to shift across the street without any concern. :dance:
ZfMeapYENGH_e11rN3FCgTvvj8UEXjsoS7f1fXSs7PnWkihnpgZq7FZnNlGxBI8X0PhJ1eB7zMWni9C9Tr21ktdnsdJWpoDyHDZEKq5je6Kh_HBiCiPufy74IX_8KFDKuP93gXJST_NMLXQJimcS6rPf4dzb3sn1LCHO8YTTLwJxvtqUurqNsz-KVrBqWPOccNoLahxESANfhMyg4DWw9LtAeMuHudrFRQag3xdJY7XWXeoQa6J5wuemmsCRPTpiarwnB4jHH0ZXLgaUMnwAncaUlr49irHL3JMbFG-GjeHNnzQt0XVBqNwC-v7wQgscYJODn4r9AtKnG5J5v2Z16VG_LnfSVVzt45NN0d1zvQ0tKavyyaV3Hyy-HcVXNLUdI-X78WP1oymbgZoC6EMCGWIDtWwtRrSViui_7MUgS3W_UPAcZhivyDUS7R9dluq-3uimBQxEVPlqnxDo9tLUzlb2QDpTCGS377ZivmYQcq8D0qy4BTk8UOfwfGMl-oXoZWvK7utlh_wZv1HUjIS77jkL3k3yw47Ix-chfDtxFvCdsY61rEGBhy9TZ25lZxl7y57C9mxVISDRBuT42Q1lBJVAWQEErxo9XqQ7MXAK_D3G-t0VtydIAyrDDgd4anRXBlRXLrdM7qUNRgLZh6QZ7C7uzFf0hDnxxsIhpzG0KvdpvYqqotLTI3buqUC-AyVU7gBVTieaQj06ENd7mzvte4-Obsvsh-RLXmI2p_Pm8f01fwOap6UwDDTLJLnGEl7vfnyQ1lHFsYVpc8NK6F3II7lYUkN2QCdkpnx6aFh_9o_JIb4eqaSpelJqToppkqdh49If=w1484-h837-no

Phone mount I put on when I got home so now ready to go exploring

Hilarious ...Itchy Boots discovers over sized US meals.
disorienting me with her riding on the right. 🤪

Last edited:
Gorgeous day, light winds an 20C at 6 am and staying mid 20s with mix of sun and cloud. Hoping for a decent ride - too much time reading and working on the computer - need a long break from it tho going out to see Thor: Love and Thunder on AVX and a tasty lunch out was a good break.
Switching to audio books for while as I had to but 15 in the few days or lose the credits. Set for a while.

Got up too late for mcycle ride so decided to venture further on the eBike. Good ride through the Botanic Gardens and then along to the lagoon and esplanade - the latter has well marked walking and bicycle path but families with small childred ignore that difference and wander the bicycle lanes at will ....much ringing of bell and " to your left" and dodging....all came out unscathed.
Headed back and found the best way to cross the main highway was at the lights at the airport turn which have a specific bicycle button.
All well and turned on the Botanic Garden road to home and them.....um .....no power...the battery indicator LIED. Now I'm slightly uphill on a heavy bike I can't shift the gears on properly and little out of breath from the ride so far .. 🤪
Struggled along for a couple hundred meters then called for a ride...ignomious end to that adventure.
Partner was tolerant but clearly not amused.
Found out later there is much more accurate battery charge indicator on the battery itself which I will rely on in the future. Appears I got 50km total off that charge which makes sense given my liberal use of the throttle. Charged up overnight just fine and know where to look for actual charge info. Will learn to shift the damn derailleur. ( I can shift up - have not figured down yet )

Out for a mental health mcycle jaunt up to Lake Barrine. Bit misty and very light rain - the worst was green moss coming up the Gillies ....nassssssty. Still good audio book and excellent fresh scones with local black tea and forest jam

Enjoying Ambassadors from Earth the true stories from both US and Soviet view of the race to space starting pre -WWII. Very enjoyable listen

Forgot my Itchy Boots tube scarf - could have used it yesterday. Need to make it part of gearing up.
I had light rain and was dry top and bottom with the HWK gear on coming home tho not sure about one of our tropical deluges. Still nice to come home dry.

Warmth cometh
Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at Aug, 2    2022    4.27.41 AM.jpg
Out for another eBike spin today...not long but new territory with lots more hills. Got the seat in a better position to allow easier stops and starts. Got the derailleur into a middle position and will leave it there until I get better at riding, 🤪 I think I need to check the tire pressure too. Rolling resistance seems a bit high.

Last edited:
eBike - best ride yet 15 km via the esplanade - nothing dire …have 50% left on battery. not so many families with rug rats on the bike path just one preteen intent on a head on ….”what do you mean I have to move over 🤪 …..princess
…even a tiny bit of grass riding which when okay and I should practice. Felt the warmth ( 27 and solid sun ) for sure but exercise was good. Still not brilliant on take off but getting there - just need one pedal spin..I think there is a way to do throttle only for take off but will have to figure out. It says there is a "walking speed" 6kph on throttle but doesn't move off really. Will figure but pretty confident getting to the lagoon safely. The mirror is a treat.
Tried to up the tire pressure and realised my compressor only goes to 35psi. :(
Thinking now I'd like a 20 km loop with all left turns and I'll gradually reduce my assist level as I'm happy with the spinning pace.

Mcycle
Definitely a long ride tomorrow
Tablelands for sure as back into the 30s
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at Aug, 3    2022    5.38.23 PM.jpg
Likely Skybury and perhaps further west.

Last edited:
Mcycle
Definitely a long ride tomorrow
Tablelands for sure as back into the 30s
Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at Aug, 3    2022    5.38.23 PM.jpg

Likely Skybury and perhaps further west.

😆 winter in FNQ, damn I miss Aus.

30 and muggy as hell at Daintree Village - very tiny bit of rain and I'm way over dressed. Be better going home with vents full open and one layer gone. I'd actually love a sun shower.

Perfect day early - up a 5 am and partially geared up. WIll do a quick shopping run then off for the day up the Gillies and points beyond.. So nice to be able to get out early. Basically zero wind and 20 now with mid 20s forecast and sun/cloud mix. √
Really in the mood to ride. Think my pattern is going to be longer motorcycle ride, then a longer eBike ride ....trying for 15km and then a day off. Rinse and repeat.
Shorter trips on both in between.

Just a stunning day for riding...mid 20s - almost no wind. Ran down to Innisfail and got ****** off with the Jacks there and waited for a brekkie wrap at Millaa Millaa.
Having an hilarious time listening to
Ambassadors from Earth: Pioneering Explorations with Unmanned Spacecraft: Outward Odyssey: A People's History of Spaceflight
planetary explorers - from the Sputnik and Explorer satellites launched in the late 1950's to the thrilling interstellar Voyager missions of the '70's....
Learning so much and in awe of what these guys pulled off with the Grand Tour out to Jupiter, Saturn and Neptune. Insiders view of the headaches and the triumphs.

Nearly a nasty as a wasp of some sort ended inside my sunglasses at speed and luckily crawled around INSIDE the lens instead of on my eyeball.
Ripped the glasses off and they broke which fortunately was not a great dollar lost as I discovered some excellent safety glasses I could buy for $5 each with optical clarity ( even mil spec ) and a perfect fit for me.
I would have been annoyed if it happened with my Aviators.
Took the Palmerston up the hill to Millaa Millaa - a ride I particularly like and the bike was eager. Likely go back via Kuranda as it's only 1 pm.
A few other riders here as well. I do miss the chit chat at the Forks.
305 km total today and finished my audio book.
Can't recall a day with so little wind.
Used the one arm sunglasses on the way home and they stayed in place , got hit on left side lens with a similar looking and sized critter but he slid off...then something slipped unto my slightly open jacket and by now was paranoid of getting stung so pushed and squeezed to kill whatever it was. Pulled over and shook the jacket out but only a small moth or some such fell out......as I said ...paranoid. :rolleyes:
Gas prices down so a fillup slightly under $20...all in all a fine riding day.. 🏍️

Last edited:
Reactions: DJM

Back
Top Bottom