Wawanesa cut ties with NFP | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wawanesa cut ties with NFP

Krime

Site Supporter
Just got a notice my renewal in April is cancelled as NFP no longer uses Wawanesa. Bummer as my rates for two bikes were great. I’m waiting on their new insurance provider quotes but am thinking of trying another broker that uses wawanesa. Any recos? Thanks.

Just got a notice my renewal in April is cancelled as NFP no longer uses Wawanesa. Bummer as my rates for two bikes were great. I’m waiting on their new insurance provider quotes but am thinking of trying another broker that uses wawanesa. Any recos? Thanks.
Mitchell and Whale might

Didn't someone say Wawanesa was bought by CAA?

Yeah looks that way:

Looks like the insurance industry is shaking it up buying each other out to control the market and rates. Johnson was bought by Intact.
I couldn't get the same rate for my bike anymore, because they don't do motorcycles.

Consumers feeling more pain, while our dirty gov sits idle doing nothing as usual.

If you have been happy with Wawanesa, I would suggest that you contact Wawanesa directly and ask if they have a broker near to you who you could contact.
I had been with Dalton Timmis as agents and Aviva as motorcycle insurance for many years. NFP came into Ontario several years ago and purchased a lot of insurance brokers including Dalton Timmis. At my first renewal for motorcycle, auto and property coverage a few months later I was contacted by a part-time broker firm's agent in New Liskeard, hundreds of km from me in Halton. I sent my renewal directly to Aviva's near Toronto head office. The next year it was an agent in Windsor who NFP "assigned" to be my "broker". Still 100's of km from me. That agent was only concerned that I wanted a full year of coverage and the pink slips they sent by email were not readable. But Aviva sent me the policy and forms directly. So this year I arranged with a local broker to handle my Aviva motorcycle coverage as well as my other house & auto coverage with another insurance company.
In the several years with NFP - as a broker - the only direct contact from them, except for the so-called contact from distant New Liskeard and Windsor sub-agents has been 3 or 4 Emails telling me that their office in Toronto would be closed for a particular public holiday (Canada Day).
AFJ

NFP never gave me the COVID rebate they promised

I searched my email archive, looks like the last broker that wrote me a Wawanesa policy was Mitchell & Whale (I think it's just "Mitch Insurance" now)

If you have been happy with Wawanesa, I would suggest that you contact Wawanesa directly and ask if they have a broker near to you who you could contact.
I had been with Dalton Timmis as agents and Aviva as motorcycle insurance for many years. NFP came into Ontario several years ago and purchased a lot of insurance brokers including Dalton Timmis. At my first renewal for motorcycle, auto and property coverage a few months later I was contacted by a part-time broker firm's agent in New Liskeard, hundreds of km from me in Halton. I sent my renewal directly to Aviva's near Toronto head office. The next year it was an agent in Windsor who NFP "assigned" to be my "broker". Still 100's of km from me. That agent was only concerned that I wanted a full year of coverage and the pink slips they sent by email were not readable. But Aviva sent me the policy and forms directly. So this year I arranged with a local broker to handle my Aviva motorcycle coverage as well as my other house & auto coverage with another insurance company.
In the several years with NFP - as a broker - the only direct contact from them, except for the so-called contact from distant New Liskeard and Windsor sub-agents has been 3 or 4 Emails telling me that their office in Toronto would be closed for a particular public holiday (Canada Day).
AFJ
Sounds like a similar journey. I joined dalton timmis with wawanesa in 2020 after my rate at Allstate doubled for motorcycles. I’ve been paying $2000 a year for both bikes (gsxr1k and r1200gsa) pretty consistently for the past 4 years. Called Allstate again to see what they’d offer and gsxr alone is over $2000 lol.

I’ve been completely hands off with NFP. Policy auto renews. It’s been nice actually since rates were good.

I noticed online wawanesa has a locate a broker feature so found a place in Newmarket. I’ll give them a call.

Last edited:
Didn't someone say Wawanesa was bought by CAA?

Yeah looks that way:

Looks like the insurance industry is shaking it up buying each other out to control the market and rates. Johnson was bought by Intact.
I couldn't get the same rate for my bike anymore, because they don't do motorcycles.

Consumers feeling more pain, while our dirty gov sits idle doing nothing as usual.
That would explain it thanks. I wonder if the other brokers are also no longer working with them if this is the case.

Mitchell and Whale might
NFP never gave me the COVID rebate they promised

I searched my email archive, looks like the last broker that wrote me a Wawanesa policy was Mitchell & Whale (I think it's just "Mitch Insurance" now)
Thanks. I’ll give them a call and see as well. Maybe it will be similar news to NFP.

In other news my auto renewal with Allstate just went from $2000 to $2720 for two cars. Nothing changed on my record or policy. Fun times ahead, hopefully not the case for motorcycle rates as well.

I use Western Financial Group and they got me the best rate for auto and moto through Wawanesa, you could give them a try

My agent is out of the King City location and she's been awesome

Mitchell and Whale might
Helpful tip, thanks.

Regarding Wawanesa, they seem to come up as the lowest priced premium option for me each time around (motorcycle only). Before I re-up with them, just wondering if there's any particular reason why. Has anyone ever had to process a claim with Wawanesa...were you satisfied?

Helpful tip, thanks.

Regarding Wawanesa, they seem to come up as the lowest priced premium option for me each time around (motorcycle only). Before I re-up with them, just wondering if there's any particular reason why. Has anyone ever had to process a claim with Wawanesa...were you satisfied?
They had steep discounts for people with clean records and 5?+ riding years of experience.

They had steep discounts for people with clean records and 5?+ riding years of experience.
Thanks again for the Mitch Insurance reco. Just called them and they had all my info from a 2019 quote inquiry (when they were Mitchell & Whales).

They confirmed they are still with Wawanesa, and the quoted price I'm getting is almost identical to what I paid last year through NFP, and I believe I'm getting even more coverage.

For those wondering I'm paying $1800 for a '15 R1200GSA (full coverage) + '04 GSXR1000 (liability only). This includes upping/maxing liability coverage from 1M to 2M, and accident benefits to 2M. $1000 deductible.

I'll wait to hear what NFP comes back with for other quotes from providers, but I'm 99% sure at this point I'll be sticking with Wawanesa (now through Mitch Insurance).

Back
Top Bottom