Used bike purchase - mto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Used bike purchase - mto

Seller does not need to go to mto. Legally they need to provide and fill out uvip. Many don't. Buyer files paperwork at mto. As a seller, it is a good idea to go to mto and tell them that you no longer own the vehicle in case the buyer doesn't transfer in.

Get insurance before going to SO because they ask for it in the paperwork.

I didn’t have insurance on my bike so just used the policy number for the car as it’s technically the same policy just different slip.

UVIP will indicate the ‘selling price’ which you will be taxed on.

Shouldn’t take more than 10min. I got lucky when I picked up my bike, 10min in and out as there was literally no one at SO.

Have the bike's VIN number for insurance. Call them up and get a start date with a policy number if you can. If they send you a confirmation without a policy number, the clerk can work around it until you update them.

It's better for the seller if they can accompany the buyer, as they then know that the ownership has been changed.

Will the insurer ask me about info from the UVIP ?

Or other info ?

I.e. what do I need to have before talking to the insurance person ?
Insurance cares about VIN and purchase price. Beyond that standard questions.

Seller can go to the MTO anytime after the sale to de-register the bike from their name. Buyer doesn't have to be present, nor have registered the bike yet either.
Crap that’s what I forgot to do when I was at SO. Confirm my X has been deregistered.

Seller can go to the MTO anytime after the sale to de-register the bike from their name. Buyer doesn't have to be present, nor have registered the bike yet either.
That just puts a flag on the record that you've said that you sold it, it doesn't transfer the ownership to someone else. They will still come after you first.
If you're there with the buyer and watch them go through the process on the other hand . . .

That just puts a flag on the record that you've said that you sold it, it doesn't transfer the ownership to someone else. They will still come after you first.
If you're there with the buyer and watch them go through the process on the other hand . . .

Nobody's "coming after you". That's just alarmist.

As per the MTO website: Change information on a vehicle permit

If you sell your vehicle, you will need to change the status of your vehicle to “sold”. You need to go to a ServiceOntario location and bring a letter that includes:

• the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • when the vehicle was sold
  • to whom it was sold

The onus is not on you to ensure the buyer registers the vehicle. Never has been.

Nobody's "coming after you". That's just alarmist.

As per the MTO website: Change information on a vehicle permit

The onus is not on you to ensure the buyer registers the vehicle. Never has been.
That's not what the police told me when a towing company came looking for money for an abandoned vehicle. Fortunately, they were just looking to acquire ownership. It might be different in B.C. If someone gets hurt and the vehicle gets abandoned, they're going to look first at the person named on the ownership.

Anyways, the last bike I sold, the buyer didn't use the safety I had done, as far as I know.
They waited over two months to register it, and yes I did have it flagged as sold.

Back
Top Bottom