Thermacells Which one? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Thermacells Which one?

timtune

Site Supporter
Bought the MR300 for my Squeeze who is a bug magnet but now she's wondering if that portable model is the way to go. The back side has "feet" to allow circulation underneath so I assume you can set it on the picnic table. Any flat surface? The ground?

There's the stand up patio model which I would guess you can set anywhere. Turns out the belt loop attachment thingy does not come with. Optional.$$
If you get the clip can you walk on a hike and stay in the cloud?

Thinks the radius model will mean mucking with the liquid instead of the nice tidy pads.

Thanks

I havent tried the portable one. Based on my experience with table lantern style, they need some time to build up the chemical in the area. Much breeze and they do nothing. I would be surprised if the portable worked while walking. I suspect it's more useful for sitting at the camp fire, going for a leak in the woods, etc. The table lantern style has a kill switch on the bottom to kill the fire if it tips over. That makes it a pita to move around.

We've got a plug in type, that I think is just a light to attract them, and a fan to dehydrate them. Haven't tried it yet.

We've got a plug in type, that I think is just a light to attract them, and a fan to dehydrate them. Haven't tried it yet.
Those are different. Those are dynatraps. They (theoretically) reduce flying insect population over time. You plug them in the the spring and pull them out in the fall. Thermacells work in five minutes or so to "protect" 100 sq ft or so. I find I get less mosquito bites with a thermacell running.

I bought one of the smaller ones after a trip up to Radisson. When i met some guys at the campground with one , it was the first time i had any peace from the black flies

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk

I have the small portable style one. It's simple, no batteries, nothing other than butane and the pad.

They take about 20-25 minutes to heat up and start working, but they are magical once they're working.

Wind can carry the effect away, but I've always found that just moving the device slightly upwind restores things quick.

Every time I go to the whitby PA to try to get these when they're on sale...they're sold out.

So I bought her a MR300. (small portable)
She starts her own research and decides on the usb rechargable Radius model. But there are two versions. She grabs the taller slimmer one for easy storage.
Gets home and starts checking on the other Radius model. Yup back to CTC to exchange it the second time.
I let you know after we try it out.

In the interests of being a tight bastard I was looking into the DIY aspect of making up my own pads and refillable butane canisters for my Thermacells. I have 6 of the things, they are awesome. Three portables although one might be fubar because I left it outside for a season, two lamps (batteries for the lamp, butane fur the bug repellant but) and one traveller which attaches to a propane camp gas canister.

The refillable butane is easy from YouTube videos so no issue there. For the mats I was looking at using something like this..

To soak the original mats with once they are done. Keep in a ziplock maybe until needed.

I think the OEM Thermacell mats are just permethrin.

Original thermacell pads are allethrin (a derivative of permethrin). Some people have had good experience using permethrin to recharge. I would be doing some more research to avoid melting my brain. Permethrin can work well on clothes but you arent supposed to get it on your skin. Doesnt sound like something I want in my lungs.

In the interests of being a tight bastard I was looking into the DIY aspect of making up my own pads and refillable butane canisters for my Thermacells. I have 6 of the things, they are awesome. Three portables although one might be fubar because I left it outside for a season, two lamps (batteries for the lamp, butane fur the bug repellant but) and one traveller which attaches to a propane camp gas canister.

The refillable butane is easy from YouTube videos so no issue there. For the mats I was looking at using something like this..

To soak the original mats with once they are done. Keep in a ziplock maybe until needed.

I think the OEM Thermacell mats are just permethrin.
I watched the hack videos for the butane and saw that they recharge the mats w/ permethrin.

Have you tried your own permethrin soaked mats?

So I bought her a MR300. (small portable)
She starts her own research and decides on the usb rechargable Radius model. But there are two versions. She grabs the taller slimmer one for easy storage.
Gets home and starts checking on the other Radius model. Yup back to CTC to exchange it the second time.
I let you know after we try it out.

I have the usb rechargeable, only thing is that the refills arent the mat types from the classic ones. waiting for more info on DIY refilling.
nice to only have to buy one refill and recharge the battery instead of butane and liquid.
works well the two times i've used it so far.

Every time I check these at CT the packages are torn open. Have seen plenty of the empty boxes left behind.

Probably the same arsehole campers who go "camping" (IE, loud drunken party all night and then sleep until 2PM the next day) and then just drive away and leave everything sitting (tent, garbage....everything) for the staff to clean up.

Saw it happen 2 weekends ago. Park staff says it happens more often than many would believe.

Probably the same arsehole campers who go "camping" (IE, loud drunken party all night and then sleep until 2PM the next day) and then just drive away and leave everything sitting (tent, garbage....everything) for the staff to clean up.

Saw it happen 2 weekends ago. Park staff says it happens more often than many would believe.
We’re taking the kids for their first camping trip in a few weeks and I’m dreading this. Hopefully we don’t have any issues.

Im in for about $700 so far of tent, sleeping bags/mats, lights, stove etc so bet your ass I’m not leaving anything behind.

But if I see an abandoned site may help myself to a few things lol

We’re taking the kids for their first camping trip in a few weeks and I’m dreading this. Hopefully we don’t have any issues.

Im in for about $700 so far of tent, sleeping bags/mats, lights, stove etc so bet your ass I’m not leaving anything behind.

But if I see an abandoned site may help myself to a few things lol
You could have rented my camper for less and slept in a bed

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

Back
Top Bottom