The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological | Page 75 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The "Official" Watch Thread and all Things Horological

Picked up a few more swiss ladies watches for almost nothing. I don't care about the cases, I like the movements. Screwdriver bit for scale. They are tiny.

20240426-132254.jpg

20240426-132208.jpg

Picked up a few more swiss ladies watches for almost nothing. I don't care about the cases, I like the movements. Screwdriver bit for scale. They are tiny.

20240426-132254.jpg

20240426-132208.jpg

Love the insanely tiny movements. I've been drooling over vintage Zodiac Sea Wolfs (wolves?) with the ghost blue bakelite bezels, and these watches from the '60s with 200m of water resistance, were able to be made at 10.5mm thick, including a domed crystal. Modern dive watches struggle to get under 12.5mm, regardless of crystal. As someone who likes a thin watch, I don't really get it. Maybe it's the antishock, maybe most folks like the bigger wrist presence of a thicker watch? Here's a vintage Sea Wolf, for reference (not the same watch):

1714153631032.png1714153701076.png

The grey Citizen looks good with the leather strap. Not so sure about the others.
Based on that photo, I agree. But textured dials especially need to be seen on person, on the wrist. When I was looking for a dress watch, I was inches away from ordering a Frederique Constant Classics based on a nice photo, but decided to try one on at the local jeweller to be safe. I hated the watch in person, it looked flat and dull on the wrist, so I ended up with a vintage Hamilton instead. Other watches that don't photograph so well can look amazing in person.

Not that I'm buying one, I have enough as it is! Just thought it's another example of Citizen making interesting, well-crafted, and exceptional value watches that aren't Donald Duck branded etc.

Good modern dive watches are mostly automatic and to get the auto winder in there , you get a thicker case . Worse if it’s a chrono and Date . Every layer on the onion takes space .
I’m a huge fan of Zodiac dive watches , the red bezel white face is stunning . I could gladly own that powder blue job as well . The orange is too fruity punch coloured , Doxa in orange would work excellent, but find one that’s not beat to crap.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Good modern dive watches are mostly automatic and to get the auto winder in there , you get a thicker case .
Agreed, but the above Zodiac is a rotor-wound automatic (with date on many), and it's easily 2+ mm thinner in the case than 99% of auto divers on sale today, with identical water resist despite an acrylic crystal. It's also only 35 mm diameter, so there's even less room to work with.

I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just not sure what it is.

If anyone is interested, there's a bunch of cool photos and a good write up on the restoration of one here:

Zodiac SeaWolf 702-946

The movement is absolutely stunning...

Agreed, but the above Zodiac is a rotor-wound automatic (with date on many), and it's easily 2+ mm thinner in the case than 99% of auto divers on sale today, with identical water resist despite an acrylic crystal. It's also only 35 mm diameter, so there's even less room to work with.

I'm sure there's a good reason, I'm just not sure what it is.

If anyone is interested, there's a bunch of cool photos and a good write up on the restoration of one here:

Zodiac SeaWolf 702-946

The movement is absolutely stunning...
It is a beautiful movement. I love the high beat watches the second hand glides so smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom