River Road - Construction Terra Nova to Kilgorie | GTAMotorcycle.com

River Road - Construction Terra Nova to Kilgorie

Malks

Be warned, River Road is currently under construction between Terra Nova to Kilgorie. I was up there yesterday and they have ground up the asphalt surface and were laying a soft sand / gravel mixture along the entire length. Very exciting on a heavy street bike, but could be fun on an adventure bike. Not sure of how long it's going to be before they put down a new surface and no dates were posted on the construction sign.

Screen Shot 2023-09-20 at 8.17.12 AM.png

On a positive note, the section of 124 between Horning's Mills and Maple Valley is almost complete. Just two small sections to be paved at each end and roadway painting.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks, I rode that a few weeks ago and probably would have headed there this weekend.

UPDATE: The resurfacing of this section of 20th Sideroad/River Road is now complete. Beautiful new asphalt surface, but still that ridiculous 50 kph limit. I was up there Wednesday and they were just doing the final touches to the shoulders.

Thanks for the update. I love that road, it is more fun than Hockley Valley, but farther to get to. I find that it is harder to ride from West to East. I have to find a better way to get there as Airport Road is so busy from 89 north to Terra Nova. But worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I love that road, it is more fun than Hockley Valley, but farther to get to. I find that it is harder to ride from West to East. I have to find a better way to get there as Airport Road is so busy from 89 north to Terra Nova. But worth it.
Here's my route to avoid Airport Road north of Hockley Valley Road. BTW, I also prefer to ride east to west along 20th Sideroad/River Road.
I'll take Hockley Valley Road eastbound past Airport Road and through the village, then go north on Concession 4, east on 89, north on CR 13 to Everett, west on CR 5/17 through Mansfield, then north on Second Line East to Terra Nova. If you want to continue around the loop shown go west on 20th Sideroad/River Road to Horning's Mills, north on Main Street / Highway 124 to Maple Valley, east on CR 9 to Dunedin, north on Concession 8 to Glen Huron, east on Station Street/15/16 Side Road, south on Riverside Drive/Concession Road 6, east on CR 9 to Creemore. I'll usually go south through Creemore and follow George Street/Concession 3 over to Airport Road. From there southbound on Airport Road and west on 20th Sideroad/River Road again. Sometimes I continue over to Horning's Mills and then come south on 124, but on the attached route I turned south on Prince of Wales and continued southbound back to Orangeville.

River-CR8 Loop.jpg
Edit: missed mentioning west on CR 5/17 from Everett to get to Mansfield.

Last edited:
Here's my route to avoid Airport Road north of Hockley Valley Road. BTW, I also prefer to ride east to west along 20th Sideroad/River Road.
I'll take Hockley Valley Road eastbound past Airport Road and through the village, then go north on Concession 4, east on 89, north on CR 13 through Mansfield, then north on Second Line East to Terra Nova. If you want to continue around the loop shown go west on 20th Sideroad/River Road to Horning's Mills, north on Main Street / Highway 124 to Maple Valley, east on CR 9 to Dunedin, north on Concession 8 to Glen Huron, east on Station Street/15/16 Side Road, south on Riverside Drive/Concession Road 6, east on CR 9 to Creemore. I'll usually go south through Creemore and follow George Street/Concession 3 over to Airport Road. From there southbound on Airport Road and west on 20th Sideroad/River Road again. Sometimes I continue over to Horning's Mills and then come south on 124, but on the attached route I turned south on Prince of Wales and continued southbound back to Orangeville.

View attachment 63630
Thanks for the suggestions that is a great route. I’ve had 2 oh sh** moments on River Road and both were Eastbound, both times leaned over and gravel or small rock let the rear slip out a bit.
I will put this route in my GPS
Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions that is a great route. I’ve had 2 oh sh** moments on River Road and both were Eastbound, both times leaned over and gravel or small rock let the rear slip out a bit.
I will put this route in my GPS
Thanks!
Those moments were likely between Prince of Wales Road and Kilgorie. I've had one or two myself in that area. It's not as bad since they resurfaced that section a couple of years ago. They widened the roadway a little and that seems to have reduced the amount of gravel kicked onto the roadway by motorists.

You will like Second Line East. It's posted as 70 kph and has a few tight turns as you get closer to Terra Nova. Be carful the first time through there, as one or two of the turns have a decreasing radius that sneaks up on you. On those turns you will likely encounter some gravel from cars running onto the shoulder.

I'll take Hockley Valley Road eastbound past Airport Road and through the village, then go north on Concession 4, east on 89, north on CR 13 to Everett, west on CR 5/17 through Mansfield, then north on Second Line East to Terra Nova. If you want to continue around the loop shown go west on 20th Sideroad/River Road to Horning's Mills, north on Main Street / Highway 124 to Maple Valley, east on CR 9 to Dunedin, north on Concession 8 to Glen Huron, east on Station Street/15/16 Side Road, south on Riverside Drive/Concession Road 6, east on CR 9 to Creemore. I'll usually go south through Creemore and follow George Street/Concession 3 over to Airport Road. From there southbound on Airport Road and west on 20th Sideroad/River Road again. Sometimes I continue over to Horning's Mills and then come south on 124, but on the attached route I turned south on Prince of Wales and continued southbound back to Orangeville.

View attachment 63630

Thanks. I had no idea the road south of Terra Nova was paved.

View attachment 63630
No mention of 21 east from Redickville down the escarpment. Always thought that was a nice twisty strip with great elevation changes

Those moments were likely between Prince of Wales Road and Kilgorie. I've had one or two myself in that area. It's not as bad since they resurfaced that section a couple of years ago. They widened the roadway a little and that seems to have reduced the amount of gravel kicked onto the roadway by motorists.

You will like Second Line East. It's posted as 70 kph and has a few tight turns as you get closer to Terra Nova. Be carful the first time through there, as one or two of the turns have a decreasing radius that sneaks up on you. On those turns you will likely encounter some gravel from cars running onto the shoulder.

The very first time I rode that stretch of 2nd Line E, there was a group of sport bike all pulled over as one of their crew had misjudged the decreasing radius bends.

Ever since I have always ridden those corners with that in mind.

No mention of 21 east from Redickville down the escarpment. Always thought that was a nice twisty strip with great elevation changes
I've never ridden that road. The only time I've ever driven it was one winter day on my way to Blue when the wind was blowing the snow sideways across 124 so badly I quite literally could not see the end of my hood! I turned at Redickville (insert 6 year old chuckle) and headed east with the wind at my back. I returned southbound via Airport Road, which is much better protected from crosswinds and decided to ski at Hockley that day. I work there so ski free.

I'll have to take a ride across there to see how it compares to CR 9.

I've never ridden that road. The only time I've ever driven it was one winter day on my way to Blue when the wind was blowing the snow sideways across 124 so badly I quite literally could not see the end of my hood! I turned at Redickville (insert 6 year old chuckle) and headed east with the wind at my back. I returned southbound via Airport Road, which is much better protected from crosswinds and decided to ski at Hockley that day. I work there so ski free.

I'll have to take a ride across there to see how it compares to CR 9.

I often go on that road. Not as twisty at CR 9 but the views to the south can't be beat.

Back
Top Bottom