Riding through the foothills of the Himalayas | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding through the foothills of the Himalayas

Great pics and video. You , sir , are a true adventurer.

Thank you, I try..

Wow that is phenomenal! Thanks for sharing and ride safe.

Thank you sir..

Amazing, thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

That video is captivating. That’s a trip I’d love to do. Maybe someday.

Plethora of such routes, ones even more beautiful and desolate, up in the Himalayas..

Looks like a great trip and great pictures.
We are all jealous.

Thanks for sharing

thanks for taking your time to share the pics and video. epic ride!

Thanks, my pleasure - uploading a few more, albeit slowly.

I always took the Himalayas for granted because they were so close, maybe I should plan a trip back 🤔

Any other international flight options besides Delhi?

The only one in Northern India except Delhi with direct connectivity to YYZ is Amritsar (ASR). Lot of the punjabi crowd prefer the route.
You could layover in Delhi and take a domestic flight to various airports that would place you around 1500m poised nicely to begin your journey, avoiding the 300 to 500 kms you would need to escape the straight roads from Delhi. Give a shout if you ever need help planning routes.

The only one in Northern India except Delhi with direct connectivity to YYZ is Amritsar (ASR). Lot of the punjabi crowd prefer the route.
You could layover in Delhi and take a domestic flight to various airports that would place you around 1500m poised nicely to begin your journey, avoiding the 300 to 500 kms you would need to escape the straight roads from Delhi. Give a shout if you ever need help planning routes.
Thanks will do,
its not the straightness of the roads I was thinking of avoiding though, its been a long time but its hard to forget that level of chaos and traffic

Here are some more pics. This is from a village called Roghi. I stayed in the district of Kinnaur for 3 days was exploring local, typically isolated villages which are cut off from the rest of the world in winter as the roads are closed and the only way to reach such places then, is through ardous treks.

I have always been fascinated by the people that spend their entire lives in such places and one look at them, they look so content.
Guess happiness is from within.

53472361426_fd3c68ec4a_o.jpg

53472501383_af500068fc_o.jpg

53472501393_0728974085_o.jpg

53472361626_b28d55f69c_o.jpg

53472789270_9ee52b7d7e_o.jpg

53472670904_9c390d0b91_o.jpg

One mistake and a 1000ft drop

53472783075_2b59bf03a1_o.jpg

Here are some more pics. This is from a village called Roghi. I stayed in the district of Kinnaur for 3 days was exploring local, typically isolated villages which are cut off from the rest of the world in winter as the roads are closed and the only way to reach such places then, is through ardous treks.

I have always been fascinated by the people that spend their entire lives in such places and one look at them, they look so content.
Guess happiness is from within.
Indeed.
Some of the 'poorest' people in the world have the highest happiness and contentment in life. Being around people that are not always thinking about money is very refreshing.

Beautiful pics and I'd love to go that region for a visit. Was there ever risk of no gas stations within your fuel tank range?

Beautiful place. Carry on!
Thanks

Indeed.
Some of the 'poorest' people in the world have the highest happiness and contentment in life. Being around people that are not always thinking about money is very refreshing.

Beautiful pics and I'd love to go that region for a visit. Was there ever risk of no gas stations within your fuel tank range?

Thanks Shane.

There wasn't a risk of no gas station. Within a 50 km radius, there was at least one gas station, after I crossed Shimla (which is the capital city of the state of Himachal Pradesh)

The risk was whether or not the gas station would have any gas. The reason is because the national highway after Shimla is a landslide zone during the monsoon. That, and because it snows heavily in winter. Because of these reasons, each year, the road is closed frequently which stops supplies to gas stations that are located within the interior regions.

Infact, the day I rode in, the road has recently opened after being closed for 2 weeks. They had temporarily repaired the patch of road which bore the brunt of an an mountain side sliding into it. Here's a video I made of that patch:

@kurtrules - thanks for sharing. Great pictures. The videos of those narrow roads...scary as hell and the gravel roads look not so fun. Was this a solo trip? Did you rent the bike for the trip? If yes, it would be helpful to post the details of the place and a short review :) Once again, thanks for sharing.

One of my closest friends in Uni days (we both were mad about riding) had this amazing plan that we would get a job, and in 6 months buy a motorcycle and head straight to Himalayas. Fast forward 15 years, the plan never materialized (like one of those Goa plans) and now we don't even talk to each other any more lol.

@kurtrules - thanks for sharing. Great pictures. The videos of those narrow roads...scary as hell and the gravel roads look not so fun. Was this a solo trip? Did you rent the bike for the trip? If yes, it would be helpful to post the details of the place and a short review :) Once again, thanks for sharing.

One of my closest friends in Uni days (we both were mad about riding) had this amazing plan that we would get a job, and in 6 months buy a motorcycle and head straight to Himalayas. Fast forward 15 years, the plan never materialized (like one of those Goa plans) and now we don't even talk to each other any more lol.
Thanks!

Yes, it was a solo trip. I took my friend’s bike. I don’t think the V Strom is available for rent in India at the moment.

Your plan - I actually did that. Got a bike after my probation in Infosys was over, 5 months after I joined. The same year, I went for my first Himalayan motorcycle ride. Back in college, we used to ride scooters to the hills.

Thanks!

Yes, it was a solo trip. I took my friend’s bike. I don’t think the V Strom is available for rent in India at the moment.

Your plan - I actually did that. Got a bike after my probation in Infosys was over, 5 months after I joined. The same year, I went for my first Himalayan motorcycle ride. Back in college, we used to ride scooters to the hills.
At least one of us did it :)

Back
Top Bottom