Relay required? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Relay required?

timtune

Site Supporter
I found a large led light that I want to mount on my KLR. The back reads "AC/DC 12-24V 10watts 3000K"
LEDs draw little current so I'm wondering if I need to operate it via a relay or can safely wire it direct to the battery (w/ a switch and fuse of course)

Thanks

I found a large led light that I want to mount on my KLR. The back reads "AC/DC 12-24V 10watts 3000K"
LEDs draw little current so I'm wondering if I need to operate it via a relay or can safely wire it direct to the battery (w/ a switch and fuse of course)

Thanks
It draws less than an amp. I wouldn't bother with a relay for power reasons. A relay could simplify your life by providing an easy way to ensure light is off with key (tap any circuit that is on with key as the control circuit for the relay and use the load side from battery to light. Switch could go on either circuit).

I'm with GreyGhost, no relay required. 10w/12v=0.83amps. Not sure you even need a fuse, that little amperage couldn't light a cigarette.

I'm with GreyGhost, no relay required. 10w/12v=0.83amps. Not sure you even need a fuse, that little amperage couldn't light a cigarette.
The fuse isn't for the expected draw, it's for a potential short. Everything connected to the battery should have a fuse as close as possible to the battery to minimize the potential for an unprotected fault path.

The fuse isn't for the expected draw, it's for a potential short. Everything connected to the battery should have a fuse as close as possible to the battery to minimize the potential for an unprotected fault path.
I know, but for less than an amp you use a tiny wire that's limited to what it can handle. And that limit probably can't generate enough heat to light a cigarette. I'm not saying to definitely not add a fuse, just that I wouldn't feel unsafe without one.

but for less than an amp
The problem being: if the wire goes dead short to ground, it's gonna see a LOT more than 1 amp, it's gonna see ALL the amps.
A light load like this though you can use the wire as a fuse. Wire it with 24ga wire, and if it sees more than an amp the wire will burn, like a fuse.

Thanks all. No relay it is. And since I don't know my wire gauges and just use what I dig out of the "misc wire" bin I'll stick in a fuse.

Thanks all. No relay it is. And since I don't know my wire gauges and just use what I dig out of the "misc wire" bin I'll stick in a fuse.
The older KLRs (pre EFI) only have one fuse - if you blow that, you know what to do....

The older KLRs (pre EFI) only have one fuse - if you blow that, you know what to do....
Take the side covers off in order to remove the seat and replace the fuse?

Relay or not is, IMHO, dependent on what you're wiring it to. If you're putting it on a separate circuit all to itself with a switch all it's own, on a fused circuit directly from the battery, it's unnecessary in this situation.

If you're wiring it to an existing stock circuit like the existing headlight wiring however, the argument for a relay is there as the stock wiring may not be equipped to properly handle the additional draw.

I know, but for less than an amp you use a tiny wire that's limited to what it can handle. And that limit probably can't generate enough heat to light a cigarette. I'm not saying to definitely not add a fuse, just that I wouldn't feel unsafe without one.

An unfused wire that shorts out basically first melts all the insulation, then becomes a heating element, and may or may not catch on fire before finally breaking. It may then do that again and again closer and closer to the battery as the insulation fails in different spots and contacts a ground.

Even a small wire will do this. A big wire will do it as well, just with more smoke and fury, and may actually survive long enough to cause the battery itself to explode.

In other words, don't do this. ALWAYS use a fuse regardless of a small wire or a big wire.

Hopefully, it's for offroad use only.

Relay or not is, IMHO, dependent on what you're wiring it to. If you're putting it on a separate circuit all to itself with a switch all it's own, on a fused circuit directly from the battery, it's unnecessary in this situation.

If you're wiring it to an existing stock circuit like the existing headlight wiring however, the argument for a relay is there as the stock wiring may not be equipped to properly handle the additional draw.

An unfused wire that shorts out basically first melts all the insulation, then becomes a heating element, and may or may not catch on fire before finally breaking. It may then do that again and again closer and closer to the battery as the insulation fails in different spots and contacts a ground.

Even a small wire will do this. A big wire will do it as well, just with more smoke and fury, and may actually survive long enough to cause the battery itself to explode.

In other words, don't do this. ALWAYS use a fuse regardless of a small wire or a big wire.

Huh, I stand corrected. That probably would light a cigarette.

I totally agree. If the little wire does a melt down it can damage adjacent wiring or plastics. A fuse does a melt down as well but in a very controlled location.

Back
Top Bottom