old new rider!! | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

old new rider!!

Any opinions on the v strom 800 ( street bias version ) I'm still considering the v strom 650 but the 800 is not much more money and wondering if worth considering ? From what I understand the engine is new compared to the 650 v twin that's been around for ever lol and appears to be bullet proof. I really like Tracer 900, the gt would be nice with the cruise control but for me and the kind of riding I will be doing its probably not worth the extra money ? I should probably just go for the 2015 fj09 flash the ecu and call it a day , it would also save me some money I could use for upgrades, gear etc . I'm driving myself nuts just trying to be as informed as possible before I pull the trigger
Impressions after 11 days on a 2015 Yamaha FJ-09

The FJ-09 had 25,000 miles on it with aftermarket exhaust.
Current owner had purchased used and did not know if ICU had been flashed.
Standard windshield & saddle bags.
Started with 25,000 miles and put on another 2,700 miles.

I am 5’8” with a 30” inseam and weigh 178 lb.
I am 72 years young and have abused my knees.

The FJ-09 does not know what it wants to be.
Not a sport bike! Not a ADV! Not a tourer! Not a daily commuter!
Just a hodge podge of everything.
I would call it a poor man’s touring bike.
It cruises down the hi way at 60 to 80 mph like a dream.
It handles big sweeper corners well.
Corners posted at 15 to 30 mph and it is just a big pig.
I was disappointed with the suspension as it was to harsh.
The seat was very comfortable but the foot pegs are too far back and high.
My knees started to hurt after 100 miles.
The throttle was hard to hold for longer periods but the grips where small and hard plastic.
To get the clutch out you needed to be going 20 mph in first gear.
Not fun in stop and go traffic.
The engine pulls well from 50mph in 6th gear but lacks significant engine braking.
I only rode in standard mode but it would lift the front wheel in second with hard throttle.
There is a definite vibration to the handle bars and pegs but not enough to be annoying.
I found the heated hand grip controls hard to use with heavy gloves.
I kept hitting the horn button when using signal light switch.
The gas gauge does not move for the first 125 miles and then goes to 1/2.
This is a known issue.
The first time this happened I had just passed a NO SERVICES FOR 50 Miles sign!
Fuel economy sucked in my opinion.
The clutch rattled in neutral and the owner said her shop could not rectify.
The saddle bags are on the small side but function and mount well.
The optional taller windshield would have been a better fit for me.
The big fat ugly gas tank gave excellent environment protection in temperatures from 34 to 85 Degrees F.
THE FJ-09 was stable in winds and passing trucks.
Not a bad bike but would not trade it for my Moto Guzzi V7iii.
Feel free to ask any specific details on the bike.

Winslow-1.jpg

FJ-09.jpg

FJ-09-2.jpg

Last edited:
Added notes

Did not shift well between 2nd 3rd & 4th gears.
Easy into neutral.
Cramped space between pegs and crash bar and I only wear a size 8-9

Thanks for the update ! I've got my eye on a 2019 tracer 900 so from what I understand it's a much better bike than the original fj09.
I'm also looking at a 21 9gt which is even better yet it also has the panniers and the 900 is the base tracer and doesn't , e 9gt has some of other goodies as well.

Just don't overthink it or the next thing you know it will be November.

Yep I hear you I'm actually going to look at them now
For that amount of coin I would be adamant about a test ride even if I had to give a deposit and my car keys.

hi all good to be here!
I've got the itch back , I got my license back in 81 and rode for about 10 years and haven't ridden since then . And now I'm interested in getting back into riding so I need some help deciding what motorcycle to get . I'm 60 so i need to something pretty comfortable, I've been looking at the new honda nx 500 as well as the transalp
from what I have seen online look right in my ball park. My main concern is that I might be wanting more from the 500 and that's kinda where my budget is , the transalp is about 4k more. I like the weight and size of the 500 , easy to ride basically ill be going on relatively short daytrips and up to the cottage etc. so im basically
looking to hear from cbx 500 owners for input,also any other bike suggestions would be appreciated maybe the vstrom 650? all input is welcome .
Cheers
I have ridden a GSX750F since 2008, and really like it, but there's no luggage options, which I desperately wanted. So I came VERY close to buying a 2019 CBX 500. I even put a deposit on it. It was fully dressed and came with heated grips and a locking tank bag. The problem was, when I test rode it, it seemed very weak compared to my Katana. I decided to buy it anyway and put the deposit down. But I couldn't get the lack of power out of my head. I liked that I could crank the throttle at any speed to zip past a slower moving vehicle, and I was sure this bike could do that as effectively.
The next day I asked for my deposit back, and spent the money I was gonna spend on that bike to upgrade my Katana. I bought heated grips, bark busters for the hands, max-sized Givi Outbacks for all three sides, and custom fabricated my own mounts. It's one of the best decisions I ever made. A lot of people don't see the appeal of a Katana, but the size fits me really well (a little bigger would be nice), and the power is all I need. That CBX 500 felt like riding a scooter.
I wouldn't suggest you get a Kanata for several reason, mainly they are long since discontinued and no longer supported in the after-market, but I also think you would quickly out-grow the CBX 500 once you got comfortable riding again.
Have you considered a Goldwing?

Attachments

• After 1.jpg
    After 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Hope you have fun with it.

Now you gotta hit Pennsylvania for a long weekend....leave Friday afternoon if you can and return Monday afternoon...you can stay fairly late on a Monday as riding the QEW in the dark is no problem but you don't want to be S of Buffalo at dusk...you'll be mobbed with deer. Head for 44/144 and get to know your bike in the twists....and no worries about cops.

I picked up my 21 9gt today yippee!! I told myself I wouldn't pick it up if it was raining so what do I do ? pick it up when it was snowing go figure . Anyway after a very comfortable ride home (NOT) I pulled into my garage very cold and a little damp . First impression love the quick shifter! never used one before, the heated grips were nice as needed on the ride home which is something I thought I would never use but there's that old saying neve say never ! I did notice the slight tilt in the seat pushing me forword into the tank though it didn't bother me too much but maybe because I was so focused on getting home with no incident but overall felt petty comfortable considering . A good combo , new bike to get used too, not riding for many years and crappy weather to boot ! hopefully tomorrow's weather will be better so I can get a better feel for the bike .

I picked up my 21 9gt today yippee!! I told myself I wouldn't pick it up if it was raining so what do I do ? pick it up when it was snowing go figure . Anyway after a very comfortable ride home (NOT) I pulled into my garage very cold and a little damp . First impression love the quick shifter! never used one before, the heated grips were nice as needed on the ride home which is something I thought I would never use but there's that old saying neve say never ! I did notice the slight tilt in the seat pushing me forword into the tank though it didn't bother me too much but maybe because I was so focused on getting home with no incident but overall felt petty comfortable considering . A good combo , new bike to get used too, not riding for many years and crappy weather to boot ! hopefully tomorrow's weather will be better so I can get a better feel for the bike .

Where are the photos??

Before I picked it up ,will take some more this afternoon if the sun comes out.

Attachments

• 20240416_104017.jpg
    20240416_104017.jpg
    580.8 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom