New Rider from Mississauga | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Rider from Mississauga

That’s every bike I’ve had!
5 years old would be like brand new to me. Let the ballers pay for depreciation.
Do not try to look up to our own resident ballers of the forum. If you are around often enough, you will pick up who they are. lol

Thank you all for your responses, couple of points:
  • I do have my course done, and am waiting to do the paperwork for the M2 at the end of the month.
  • I have reached out to some insurance providers and obtained quotes. This was more challenging than expected as a number of them either would not insure drivers under 4 years of experience, or ones who wanted to use the dual-sport for off-road.
  • I do have some gear, only missing dedicated riding jacket and pants, and looking around whenever I have time.
  • I would prefer a used bike for the time being.
Given that I have 3 listings short-listed for the DRZ400SM: one in Scarborough, one in Toronto (Financial District), and one in North York, how would I go about requesting assistance for the inspection and test ride? Should that be a separate topic and sub-forum?

@thiagomvr Great that you're starting out too, my two cents are that yes, it is a bit of a seller's market with used vehicles, but you can still find decent deals. As the winter approaches, more listings cut down on their price. Also, others may be willing to haggle depending on how popular that specific bike is. Chances are, they don't want to keep it for the winter in their garage, etc. so timing will help. If you have the means to transport a bike from further out, expand the search perimeter: farther areas generally have fewer potential buyers, and you may be able to get a better deal there. All the best with your hunt!

By inspection, do you mean just checking out a bike or the actually safety inspection certificate.

Safety certificate is usually something that you can negotiate with the seller if it is not included/mentioned with the sale. Keep in mind that if the certificate is not included, you maybe be able to negotiate a better price but it will be on you to get it safety certified . Some people want the seller to provide it and some like to take care of it on their own. Its a trust thing. This way they can make sure it is safe.
Safety certificate is only valid for 36 days from the date of issue. If you do not register the bike within that time, you will need to obtain a new certificate. More $$$$

As for taking a look at a bike by someone who is more knowledgeable than yourself. Either ask a friend or maybe a friend of a friend. Not sure if any mechanics do this kind of service and if they do it will cost you $$$$.

You can even ask on here for someone to help you out. (remember to be polite and respectful) This will all depend on time and location of the potential bike.

The weather is not favorable for test rides right now. Especially for new riders as you are not used to riding itself, let alone in cold weather.
You might be limited to checking out a bike and a visual inspection and maybe hearing it run.

On a side note.
Prove yourself on this forum by being respectful of others when asking for opinions. (many new guys came on here asking for advice and they became total ********** when members with much more experience and knowledge tried to help them but it wasn't what they wanted to hear)
As with anything in life, respect goes a long way. We are all part of the same community and will be bored for the next few months so ask away.

Thank you all for your responses, couple of points:
  • I have reached out to some insurance providers and obtained quotes. This was more challenging than expected as a number of them either would not insure drivers under 4 years of experience, or ones who wanted to use the dual-sport for off-road.

• You're getting quotes for a street legal bike. Whether you take it "off-road" or not, is your business. That can mean alot of things.

You're getting insurance for public roads. Insurance has nothing to do with Forest service roads, single track, jeep trails, atv trails. Why even mention it.

You won't be doing much of that on a drz-sm, unless you plan on getting a set of drz-S wheels (21" & 18"). Sumo wheels don't do well in proper offroad.

Good choice of bike. Bulletproof. The drz-sm has been around since 2005. "Bold new graphics" every year since!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

By inspection, do you mean just checking out a bike or the actually safety inspection certificate.

Safety certificate is usually something that you can negotiate with the seller if it is not included/mentioned with the sale. Keep in mind that if the certificate is not included, you maybe be able to negotiate a better price but it will be on you to get it safety certified . Some people want the seller to provide it and some like to take care of it on their own. Its a trust thing. This way they can make sure it is safe.
Safety certificate is only valid for 36 days from the date of issue. If you do not register the bike within that time, you will need to obtain a new certificate. More $$$$

As for taking a look at a bike by someone who is more knowledgeable than yourself. Either ask a friend or maybe a friend of a friend. Not sure if any mechanics do this kind of service and if they do it will cost you $$$$.

You can even ask on here for someone to help you out. (remember to be polite and respectful) This will all depend on time and location of the potential bike.

The weather is not favorable for test rides right now. Especially for new riders as you are not used to riding itself, let alone in cold weather.
You might be limited to checking out a bike and a visual inspection and maybe hearing it run.

On a side note.
Prove yourself on this forum by being respectful of others when asking for opinions. (many new guys came on here asking for advice and they became total ********** when members with much more experience and knowledge tried to help them but it wasn't what they wanted to hear)
As with anything in life, respect goes a long way. We are all part of the same community and will be bored for the next few months so ask away.
Yes, I was curious about checking out a prospective bike, as I do not have the experience necessary yet to be able to judge a motorcycle by a test ride and inspection, and unfortunately I don't have a network of people who are in the general area and/or available right now. I was curious whether this thread is the right place to ask, or if it should be in a different sub-forum. What do you think?

For the safety inspection, I'm OK with doing it. My friend recommended Rosy Toes. I didn't consider being able to haggle down the cost based on that, but will keep that in mind, thanks.

• You're getting quotes for a street legal bike. Whether you take it "off-road" or not, is your business. That can mean alot of things.

You're getting insurance for public roads. Insurance has nothing to do with Forest service roads, single track, jeep trails, atv trails. Why even mention it.

You won't be doing much of that on a drz-sm, unless you plan on getting a set of drz-S wheels (21" & 18"). Sumo wheels don't do well in proper offroad.

Good choice of bike. Bulletproof. The drz-sm has been around since 2005. "Bold new graphics" every year since!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Hmm, I didn't think about that; the insurance agent directly asked me if I was going to take it off-road, and if so, the underwriter he was working with would not be able to proceed forward with a quote. If I were to consider that it's only for street riding, and if I answered in the negative on taking it off-road, would they use any evidence that it has been ridden off-road to deny an insurance claim for an on-road accident I wonder?

Yes, my intent is to get a set of wheels and tires that will perform well in the dirt once I have a bit of riding experience and see what it's like to ride in the dirt. Thanks for the advice - I've been looking up a lot of information and settled on the DRZ400SM for reliability and cost reasons. Used market doesn't look too bad right now. :)

Welcome to the forum. I know that Daniel Ciccone and Frekeyguy does bike inspections for a cost. Frekeyguy is on the forum and Daniel is not, but you can find Daniel's contact details somewhere on the forum (I believe it's under reviews section). Both of them own trucks, and they might even help you with moving the bike. Daniel is in Vaughan, Frekeyguy is in Georgetown - so you can pick based on where the bike is located. Finally, I don't mind coming to check out a bike (for free) depending on my availability, but my knowledge doesn't even compare with some of the folks here.

When buying a used bike, set aside some money for initial maintenance (maybe 20% of the total cost). You'll have to flush the fluids, change tires, battery, etc. - all basic stuff.

I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to pay stupid marketplace prices. It makes no sense to me. I bought both my bikes used for under 3 grands, in fairly decent condition...you just got to be patient and the right bike will show up for the right price. All the best.

Thank you for the information and the generous offer! If you wouldn't mind, I'll send you the listings and a general time frame of what I'm looking at. If you're available, great, and lunch/dinner is on me afterwards. If not, no problem - I'll get the prices from both Mr. Ciccone and Frekeyguy in the meantime as a backup. Would that work?

Interesting, I didn't think it would be about 20%, but I'll keep that aside, no problem. Thank you again for the warm welcome and guidance!

I don't want to diss anyone here but 20% seems steep to me. Tires installed, a new battery and fluids would be maybe 500$. Sprockets and a chain another 200$. (23% of a 3000$ bike..... I stand corrected)
It may not need tires and a chain.......

That’s every bike I’ve had!
5 years old would be like brand new to me. Let the ballers pay for depreciation.
i feel attacked...

hey, i got a super duke to sell you..

Thank you for the information and the generous offer! If you wouldn't mind, I'll send you the listings and a general time frame of what I'm looking at. If you're available, great, and lunch/dinner is on me afterwards. If not, no problem - I'll get the prices from both Mr. Ciccone and Frekeyguy in the meantime as a backup. Would that work?

Interesting, I didn't think it would be about 20%, but I'll keep that aside, no problem. Thank you again for the warm welcome and guidance!
Sure, not a problem. All the best with your search.

I don't want to diss anyone here but 20% seems steep to me. Tires installed, a new battery and fluids would be maybe 500$. Sprockets and a chain another 200$. (23% of a 3000$ bike..... I stand corrected)
It may not need tires and a chain.......
It was more of a cautious ballpark than an accurate % :)

Welcome to the forum. I know that Daniel Ciccone and Frekeyguy does bike inspections for a cost. Frekeyguy is on the forum and Daniel is not, but you can find Daniel's contact details somewhere on the forum (I believe it's under reviews section). Both of them own trucks, and they might even help you with moving the bike. Daniel is in Vaughan, Frekeyguy is in Georgetown - so you can pick based on where the bike is located. Finally, I don't mind coming to check out a bike (for free) depending on my availability, but my knowledge doesn't even compare with some of the folks here.

When buying a used bike, set aside some money for initial maintenance (maybe 20% of the total cost). You'll have to flush the fluids, change tires, battery, etc. - all basic stuff.

I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to pay stupid marketplace prices. It makes no sense to me. I bought both my bikes used for under 3 grands, in fairly decent condition...you just got to be patient and the right bike will show up for the right price. All the best.
Hi Everyone.

Has been awhile. 20 years since I joined GTA.

Thank you all for the referrals.

To answer Everyone questions. Yes..im still doing repairs. Just around my full time work schedule.

I work on motorcycles from my home in Vaughan. 2 car garage I converted into a shop.

Keep well all.

Daniel Ciccone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom