New long range motorcycle | GTAMotorcycle.com

New long range motorcycle

500 real highway would get me very interested.

Sent from the future
doubt we're there yet.

fellow instructor had a livewire (HD), 300ish range total, said he was lucky to see 120 on the highway @100km/hr

really does cut your mileage in half :confused:

For a one person transporter motorcycles tend to have the aerodynamics of a slightly rounded brick. This one looks similar to the Goldwing so Voltwing? I'd like to see the specifications, especially weight. A ready to travel Goldwing is about 1000 pounds.

IIRC a Goldwing motor/ transmission combo is around 300 pounds wet. What would be the weight of electric motors, drive and battery?

I don't know if there is a typical weight per KW of power with lithium ion batteries. For simplicity I think of a 60 to 80 KW EV car battery being about the size of mattress and weighing 1000 pounds. Is 15 pounds (7Kg) per KW in the ballpark?

Battery cost and fragility would be a game changer for me. Stories are around that the EV car dealers write off batteries that have dents in the cases for fear of fire. Motorcycles have less protection.

I can see decent mileage around the city as windage is minimal but heavy touring bikes aren't fun in the city.

FWIW Harley's Live Wire 1

HIGH-VOLTAGE BATTERY15.4 KWH RECHARGEABLE ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM (RESS)
LEVEL 1 COMPATIBLE13 MILES FOR EACH HOUR OF CHARGING
LEVEL 2 COMPATIBLESAME RATE AS LEVEL 1
DC FAST CHARGE (DCFC)0-80% IN 40 MINUTES. 0-100% IN 60 MINUTES.

Hopefully the acceleration is better than 0-80 in 40 minutes

Charging time is based on the asumption there is not a line-up in front of you.

Charging time is based on the asumption there is not a line-up in front of you.
And that it's working, and you have the correct app authenticated, and it plays nice with your car, and, and, and.

Reactions: TK4
I say BS. The math doesn't work. A goldwing uses about 50% more fuel than a CB500F. A zero SR/F is a similar size (and most importantly frontal area) to CB500F and has a 14 KWh battery and a rated range of something like 100 miles. Add in the larger size and larger range and the TOOZ is battery is something like 95 kwh(14/100*450*1.5). Hahaha. That is is the size of the pack on a tesla. This is expected as bike frontal area isn't that much smaller than a car and drag coefficient is abysmal [something like 0.7 compared to <0.3 for most electric cages] so total drag which governs range is pretty much identical. That's a 625 kg battery. Sounds like fun :/. Now, to be honest, the bike may happen but that range is vaporware. I expect half at most and the bike will still be heavier than PP's.

EDIT:
I guess an upside is Tesla apparently has 100 kwh down to 0.4 m^3. That could plausibly fit in a big bike (if you don't care about the weight).

Last edited:
Marc regularly gets 300 km on a charge from his Zero.....sometimes in a hour.
If he can't find a charger he just plugs in overnight and ready to go another 300km the next morning.
It's on the heavy side but I really enjoy his rides.

700 km range tho???....I'm from Missoura.

Last edited:
Yup, thats what I want. "to be able to continue my digital life while on the bike". Lol.

Guess I'm not the target group.

Nothing's such fun as hanging around a charging station for an hour or two when you're in and out of the gasp pumps in 5 minutes with your ICE.
Maybe Tim Hortons will put in Livewire chargers.

It looks like a GoldWing and probably will wiegh more so why not put a trailer behind it with a generator and sell it as a Hybrid?
Even better if the generator ran on Hydrogen!

Nothing's such fun as hanging around a charging station for an hour or two when you're in and out of the gasp pumps in 5 minutes with your ICE.
Then put the chargers at the timmies and you can lock in the pirate crowd.

Back
Top Bottom