Morriston dirt trails? Open or not? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Morriston dirt trails? Open or not?

MarcoL

Hi everyone,

I live in the kw area and I've been thinking of selling my fz-07 and getting a dual sport. Trying to research where I would be able to sharpen my dirt skills I came across an old YouTube video of riding on some crown land in Morriston that might have since been closed down.

Curiosity got the better of me and I went to check it out in my car today and I didn't see any of the supposed "do not enter" or "no trespassing" signs that were apparently put up. So I'm wondering if it still fair game to use? I would ask in one of the other trail riding forums but I'm not a member of any dirt riding organizations yet.

For clarity, I'm talking about the area you can see on Google maps that is just west of the cul-de-sac on Telfer Glen St.

Hi everyone,

I live in the kw area and I've been thinking of selling my fz-07 and getting a dual sport. Trying to research where I would be able to sharpen my dirt skills I came across an old YouTube video of riding on some crown land in Morriston that might have since been closed down.

Curiosity got the better of me and I went to check it out in my car today and I didn't see any of the supposed "do not enter" or "no trespassing" signs that were apparently put up. So I'm wondering if it still fair game to use? I would ask in one of the other trail riding forums but I'm not a member of any dirt riding organizations yet.

For clarity, I'm talking about the area you can see on Google maps that is just west of the cul-de-sac on Telfer Glen St.
It has never been legal but people ride there all the time.

Sent from the future

It has never been legal but people ride there all the time.

Sent from the future
Thanks for responding Scuba Steve

I found this article from a few years ago. Theres crown land somewhere in the area. (I am not certain the trails I am looking at are on crown land)

So it sounds like the OPP were/are only able to keep people off private land. I could not for the life of me find a map of crown land boundaries and the wellington map doesn't provide detail on whether a tract of land is privately owned or not

Oh well

I could not for the life of me find a map of crown land boundaries and the wellington map doesn't provide detail on whether a tract of land is privately owned or not

There's the Ontario Crown Land Use Policy Atlas, but I've never been able to figure out how to make it show anything useful in southern Ontario:

Thanks for responding Scuba Steve

I found this article from a few years ago. Theres crown land somewhere in the area. (I am not certain the trails I am looking at are on crown land)

So it sounds like the OPP were/are only able to keep people off private land. I could not for the life of me find a map of crown land boundaries and the wellington map doesn't provide detail on whether a tract of land is privately owned or not

Oh well
I don't think you can find crown land for riding in southern ontario as afaik, there isn't much. What exists is provincial parks and conservation areas that you aren't allowed to ride in. Tons of crown land in the north.

Reactions: Ash
The Atlas marks that entire area that you mentioned with the 'Private Land' filter/overlay. I don't know if that's actually true or if the atlas doesn't even attempt to mark anything in southern Ontario correctly.

edit: there are a couple of plots of land west of Flamborough at the intersection of Kirkwall and Safari Rd that do not have the 'Private Land' overlay (it appears to be the 'General Use Area' colour), so it looks like the atlas isn't simply painting all of southern Ontario with the 'Private Land' brush.

There's the Ontario Crown Land Use Policy Atlas, but I've never been able to figure out how to make it show anything useful in southern Ontario:
Go north of hunstville and turn off the private land layer. It seems to be on top. Near puslinch there is is nothing to see, everything is private.

FYI.Talked to a guy that had his valve stems cut with sidecutters when parked at Morisston.
"Trailriding" died many years ago.You need a permit to play in this world.

And try to remember that people bought thier homes on dead end streets for a real reason. They want peace and quiet. Ride there and you are the bad guy.

And try to remember that people bought thier homes on dead end streets for a real reason. They want peace and quiet. Ride there and you are the bad guy.
Well it is right beside the 401. The bikes may be annoying but won't make it much louder or reduce the air quality. Vehicles parked all over the cul-de-sac could be a legitimate complaint.

It is mto land not crown and you have to cross private property to get to it.

Sent from the future
If it is MTO land, it looks like you can access it from Hwy 6 side without crossing private property. Accessing from the south or west requires transiting private property (a potential access exists from the rail corridor but they will probably be the grumpiest land holder).

Capture.png

Well it is right beside the 401. The bikes may be annoying but won't make it much louder or reduce the air quality. Vehicles parked all over the cul-de-sac could be a legitimate complaint.
The guy that has his tires flattened was parked on 6.

Thanks everyone for sharing their insights. And thanks Ash for that info on how to use the atlas. Theres definitely crown land off of safari rd but as much as I can tell they have signs explicitly saying what is allowed on it (always no motorized vehicles)

All in all, it's a dang shame. You can even see a neat little figure 8 in satellite view. You'd think having crown land with dirt trails right next to the busiest highway in the world would be the perfect spot. But parking definitely blows it up for residents vs engine noise. I think Scuba Steve had it right, it's Ontario land. At least per the news article I shared.

Getting a permit/joining the oftr isn't going to be a problem for me. Just want something to hit up nearby when I'm not feeling like going to Simcoe county.

If anyone knows any other spots nearby I'd be glad to know about it

Back
Top Bottom