Long term touring weather forecasting | GTAMotorcycle.com

Long term touring weather forecasting

bigpoppa

For a while I was looking for something that would give me some data about historical weather in various different geographical locations, so I could plan trips etc

It was slim pickings, many websites and apps were falsely advertised, others were just buggy.
Until I Found accuweather.com

I havent looked into its future predictions/forecasts, but it does let me look into past forecasts and temperatures in various locations at various times, so at least I have some rough estimate on what to expect and can plan accordingly.

Maybe others will also find it useful.

For canada, environment canada has a decent database. I don't know if it can tell you averages or if you have to make your own eyeball averages.

I liked to use the US based national radar as you can see weather moving across from west to east a few days. Have altered plans and gone to PA instead of Catskills for instance based on this info.
You can click on the map and see local radar.

Further out and historical ....other than general info ...not a lot of use tho finding out how chilly the JBR can be was useful.

The Weather Channel has monthly weather that can be backdated, as well.

Until recently (probably since they got hacked), The Weathernetwork used to have a monthly view that forecast 14 days ahead, and then showed last year's data past that so you'd have an idea of not only what to expect, but how we're tracking this year. Maybe they moved it, but I can't find it any more.

For a more general idea of weather patterns, you can try the Farmer's Almanac. There are a couple online versions out there, not sure which is the "original", but this one says since 1818:

I've used this site for a general sense of what the weather could be like in a given month and location

May not be as highly detailed as other sites mentioned so far though, but easy enough to use.

The standard weather forecast for riding in the mountains is it will be Hot & Dry except when it is Cold & Wet.
This usually happens in the same day just a few kilometers apart.
In Edmonton Alberta the historical temps vary 30 degrees on any given day.
I always pack for the worst and hope for the best!
Gov of Canada hard numbers are available at this site
weather data

Back
Top Bottom