Lake Champlain | GTAMotorcycle.com

Lake Champlain

A couple years ago when I rode out east I crossed the lake.

I planned on crossing at Port Kent, NY eastbound to Bulington, VT. When we got there the ferry was closed (it closes early)

We rode up north up Hwy 9 (which has a great view of the lake btw) and up to Plattsburg, NY and over to the Cumberland head. There is a 24hr ferry there. Much cheaper...and the ride over Hwy 2 at one point has Water on bothsides and a great view.

Thanks for the input. I might take Chimney point.

Wife and I took the Burlington-Port Kent ferry 2 years ago on our trip out east. Small ferry, no tie downs or anything, not that we needed it. I think it took about an hour or so to cross and I don't recall the cost, although I'm sure you can find it online.

The best part was going by Ausable Chasm, we came across it by accident. If you're into scenery it's a really cool place to go by.

Wife and I took the Burlington-Port Kent ferry 2 years ago on our trip out east. Small ferry, no tie downs or anything, not that we needed it. I think it took about an hour or so to cross and I don't recall the cost, although I'm sure you can find it online.

The best part was going by Ausable Chasm, we came across it by accident. If you're into scenery it's a really cool place to go by.

I'm scared of my bike toppling over with all the luggage. But if bad comes to worse, I will just sit on my bike while taking the ferry ride, lol

I took the short Cumberland ferry because it was a lot easier for me timing wise. I had gone during the week and the Cumberland ferry ran more often. I definitely did not need tie downs. This is general ferry advice, but make sure you check the schedules beforehand!

0cc7b71c.jpg

I'm scared of my bike toppling over with all the luggage. But if bad comes to worse, I will just sit on my bike while taking the ferry ride, lol

I was also at first. That was my first ferry crossing but there were no issues what so ever. I had the bike overloaded I imagine; side cases full, top case full, tank bag full. We were on a Bandit 1250. It was somewhat windy that day but the ferry was quite smooth.

That's brave, leaving your helmet sitting on the seat like that (of course you may have it tied down). I did that once while putting my jacket on and it fell off landing on the open faceshield. It scratched the crap out of it, $45 later....I guess it could have been a more expensive lesson.

Not being critical, just sayin it cost me $45 when I did that.

That's brave, leaving your helmet sitting on the seat like that (of course you may have it tied down). I did that once while putting my jacket on and it fell off landing on the open faceshield. It scratched the crap out of it, $45 later....I guess it could have been a more expensive lesson.

Not being critical, just sayin it cost me $45 when I did that.

Nah, wasn't tied down. The water was really calm that morning (that picture is taken in middle of the lake) plus the seat is dished, so it's pretty stable. If I walk away from my bike for a sec I just automatically stick it there ... obviously not in the city though. :p

I was on the same boat on June 4th. We continued north east on Highway 17 in Vermont and went up and over the mountain at Mad River Glen ski resort. Quite the road. Oh, and in reply to the OP, we used 3 ferries on our trip and not one had tie-downs.

I was on the same boat on June 4th. We continued north east on Highway 17 in Vermont and went up and over the mountain at Mad River Glen ski resort. Quite the road. Oh, and in reply to the OP, we used 3 ferries on our trip and not one had tie-downs.

Thats nuts, lol.

I remember the crossing to Manitoulin, the ferry can be rough sometimes, especially in early June; late May.

They had tie-downs, very safe. I've heard bikes falling down when the ferry hit the dock, while docking and bikes just going down. But it seems like the water on that lake is pretty calm. Thats good.

Ya but thats Lake Huron!!!!!!!!
Thats nuts, lol.

I remember the crossing to Manitoulin, the ferry can be rough sometimes, especially in early June; late May.

They had tie-downs, very safe. I've heard bikes falling down when the ferry hit the dock, while docking and bikes just going down. But it seems like the water on that lake is pretty calm. Thats good.

Back
Top Bottom