Kingston - Oka - Park national de la Mauricie - Kingston Sept. 18 - 21 Been There Done That! | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kingston - Oka - Park national de la Mauricie - Kingston Sept. 18 - 21 Been There Done That!

guzzirider

Sept 18
Left Kingston at 9:3am with overcast skies but no rain.
Crossed over into Quebec by ferry at Cumberland.
Stayed the night in Oka at a Airbnb I have stayed at before.
Marie-Michele is a fellow biker and let me park my Guzzi in the garage because it was looking like rain.

Sept 19
It only rained 2 times.
The rest of the day was just a steady drizzle!!!
Most small restaurants and Cafe are closed in this part of Quebec on Monday and Tuesday.
My rain overboots disintegrated so my boots got soaked.
Fortunately I had packed a spare pair of cold weather boots.
Also discovered the wet plastic rain overboots make for hard time getting the side stand down.
My English designed rain suit worked well and kept all the water out.
The English understand the concept of riding in the rain.
I stayed the night at a great Airbnb.
The host knew very little English and I know about 10 words of French
Google translate to the rescue!

Sept. 20
Blue skies and about 18 degrees in the morning.
No place to stop for breakfast at 8:30 am and will have to wait until I get to Shawinigan.
I entered La Mauricie National Park at about 9:00 am with no traffic in front of me.
The pavement was perfect. Our federal tax dollars at work to impress foreign tourists.
In the twisty sections posted at 40kph had those plastic posts as center line markers.
Left hand corners where fun.
The road is off camber because it is built on the side of hills and I was crowding the center line.
I had to be careful not to clip the posts with my handle bars.
The trees are mostly coniferous but the few maples are a bright red.
Mont Tremblant area has better colour in the fall.
I finally got a croissant and coffee after exiting the park.
Stopped in Shawinigan to do the tourist thing and went up the tower.
On the way back to Oka I stopped at the Moto Guzzi dealer in Montreal.
Construction made a 30 minute detour into hours.
Stayed the night at an Airbnb in Oka. Not my usual one because it was not available.

Sept 20
Crossed the river by ferry at Oka and followed the Saint Lawrence River to Kingston.
I detoured onto the Long Sault Parkway that is 10 islands in the Saint Lawrence River connected by bridges.
Kinda like the Florida Keys but closer together but with no salt water, pelicans, hurricanes, obnoxious tourists or Ernest Hemingway.

Overall a good trip on roads that I have never been on before.

Overall impressions
Quebec has a love for All Way Stops. They are evan at gravel roads intersecting paved in the middle of nowere.
Roads are either good or awful.
Small towns are in desperate need of road work. Ontario Conservatives seem to be better at buying votes than the PQ.
Younge people speak less English than thier elders. Get Google Translate on your phone.
Higher speed limits but more police cars.

IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0027.jpgIMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg
IMG_0031.jpgIMG_0032.jpgIMG_0034.jpg

Long Sault Parkway.jpg

Last edited:
The whole trip along the St Laurance River is a nice ride if you are not in a hurry and just roll along with traffic.
Since the roads are so close to the 401 there is not a lot of traffic and thins out at every "this way to 401" sign.

Nice writeup, thank you. I absolutely LOVE riding in that area along the shore. Lightly travelled, picturesque and just relaxed all around.

Back
Top Bottom