Kijiji scammer alert | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kijiji scammer alert

I've had my SIN cancelled, Officer Mike from the CRA is coming for me to arrest me, I got a tax refund BEFORE I submitted my documentation, and the list goes on and on...

As @backmarkerducati there are downsides to taking funds from a buyer online. Wife took $25-30 for some kids' books....2.5 weeks later and the buyer still hasn't shown up.

I'm tempted to just send them the money back so we can sell the books and get rid of them from the house.
You're nicer than me. One week to get your stuff. If you don't show up, I keep the money and sell to somebody else.

You're nicer than me. One week to get your stuff. If you don't show up, I keep the money and sell to somebody else.
Might be nicer and smarter, in today's world you can easily see these idiots starting a social media crusade as they didn't get their books after paying (they will conveniently leave out the part about ghosting you for weeks)...

IMO @mimico_polak is doing the right thing, not worth the potential hassle

Don't buy gold at gas station folks....

At least the buyer was able to help catch the scammers.
Recently at a gas station (Petro-Can at Erin Mills/ Batleford) was approached by two women driving an older van, wanting to dispose of jewellery. The two were multi-lingual and atempted to pick up a conversation while I was filling gas.
Of course they were not to know that I had previously been a consultant with Argyle Diamond and had a smattering of knowkedge about jewellery. I played dumb as in not understanding the conversation and they finally gave up and drove off.
(Who knows if they were armed and I was not about to find out!)

Scammers scammers everywhere....

While I feel for this lady, and can understand the depths that desperation can take you...to be naïve enough to pay 15k up front before a job materializes...

While I feel for this lady, and can understand the depths that desperation can take you...to be naïve enough to pay 15k up front before a job materializes...

I've got a crisp Twenty here that says she was scammed by one of her own compatriots.

15K, wow, that is desperate!

And I was questioning why I should have to pay $41 of my money to get a criminal records check as part of the job application process to get a part time job with a turf maintenance company! BTW, it's the first time I've ever been asked to provide one of those in all of my 50 year work history.

As far as buying/selling online I will never give a deposit prior to viewing the item. I also do not accept e-transfers as a deposit or payment, cash only. If the buyer wants the item I'm selling I will hold it for a day or so until they can come to see it. If they no-show, then the next interested buyer will be offered the chance to make the purchase. I communicate this clearly and notify the initial buyer when I have moved on to the next party. Once the item sells, I notify all those who showed an interest in the item that it has sold, then delete the listing. I expect the same process when I am the buyer. I've bought and sold dozens of things on FB Marketplace and have found this works well for me.

I've sold tons of stuff on Kijiji over the years - especially during covid times. Including vehicles for lots of money. I only want cash in person, in public, or if big purchase, at my place, and I may even have a buddy come by. When dealing with lots of money, I've gone to the bank with them for the money exchange. I also don't allow tirekickers to come "take a look" at stuff until I feel that they're serious.

Never ever accept/pay before a transaction. Very simple.

I've sold tons of stuff on Kijiji over the years - especially during covid times. Including vehicles for lots of money. I only want cash in person, in public, or if big purchase, at my place, and I may even have a buddy come by. When dealing with lots of money, I've gone to the bank with them for the money exchange. I also don't allow tirekickers to come "take a look" at stuff until I feel that they're serious.

Never ever accept/pay before a transaction. Very simple.
Well let’s hope I don’t get stabbed. Got a guy coming to see the bike in a few hours at the house.

Recently I went to look at a moto that had been listed on FB Marketplace for over 50 weeks on behalf of an out-of-town friend. It wasn't far from my house, so I made an appointment but when I got there the seller wasn't around. His son (?) allowed me to look at it in the garage where it was buried alongside a K model BMW, 2 Maseratis and something else under a cover (BIG garage). I couldn't get a real good look, went home and asked him WTF was going on ? He sort of apologized for not being there and that he hadn't dragged the bike out, but he was too busy. THEN he told me he wasn't the owner, selling it on behalf of an associate. At that point I came to the conclusion he was a curbsider and that I wanted nothing more to do with him or the bike. He got bent - tough toenails...

15K, wow, that is desperate!

And I was questioning why I should have to pay $41 of my money to get a criminal records check as part of the job application process to get a part time job with a turf maintenance company! BTW, it's the first time I've ever been asked to provide one of those in all of my 50 year work history.

As far as buying/selling online I will never give a deposit prior to viewing the item. I also do not accept e-transfers as a deposit or payment, cash only. If the buyer wants the item I'm selling I will hold it for a day or so until they can come to see it. If they no-show, then the next interested buyer will be offered the chance to make the purchase. I communicate this clearly and notify the initial buyer when I have moved on to the next party. Once the item sells, I notify all those who showed an interest in the item that it has sold, then delete the listing. I expect the same process when I am the buyer. I've bought and sold dozens of things on FB Marketplace and have found this works well for me.
If someone wants to close the deal a small deposit won't change their mind, if it does than they weren't that keen on the deal in the first place and were probably going to flake at the first opportunity. Deposit gives peace of mind to both sides, imo.

As for the background check, likely because you`re in/on peoples property with potential access to their home, don't need a bunch of has been sticky fingers looking to top up the meager? pay with a few things 'no one will miss'.

If someone wants to close the deal a small deposit won't change their mind, if it does than they weren't that keen on the deal in the first place and were probably going to flake at the first opportunity. Deposit gives peace of mind to both sides, imo.

As for the background check, likely because you`re in/on peoples property with potential access to their home, don't need a bunch of has been sticky fingers looking to top up the meager? pay with a few things 'no one will miss'.
While the deposit might give peace of mind to some, I will never e-transfer a deposit. I've heard of too many times where these sellers take that money and vanish. I want to see the item first and complete the transaction right then and there, in cash.

The background check was a surprise since I've worked at the same place for over 12 years, summers at the golf course and winters on the ski hill. Recently the resort decided to contract out the turf maintenance department. The new company policy is to do these checks on employees, even though the majority of the staff are returning employees from the previous season, when that department was operated by the resort. They say my cost will be reimbursed, but it still caught me off-guard because I've never had to do one before. Just a sign of the times I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom