Kid has insurance but might ride mine | GTAMotorcycle.com

Kid has insurance but might ride mine

My son has own bike insurance but he may ride my second bike from time to time. Would he be covered with my bike since he has his insurance on his own bike?
Probably yes. Most nos would be due to non-disclosure (eg does he live with you and it wasnt declared or is he the primary rider on bike two, etc).

Insurance follows the vehicle, as long as he had permission to ride it he would be covered under your policy.

However to @GreyGhost point, there are as always some caveats.

My son has own bike insurance but he may ride my second bike from time to time. Would he be covered with my bike since he has his insurance on his own bike?
It might be seen as a con by the insurer if your son was 16 YO and had a Honda Cub but regularly rode your R-1000.

If the ages and bike specifications were closer the suspicions would fade.

Keep in mind that with any transgressions on his part he gets the ticket and you get the insurance increase.

The place to start is your policy.
Make sure that you have not declared that you are the only licensed rider in the house.
@NFP Moto may be able to help on this one.

Insurance follows the vehicle, as long as he had permission to ride it he would be covered under your policy.

However to @GreyGhost point, there are as always some caveats.
I just had this problem. My Mom had a clash with the tires of a truck in a narrow Toronto street lane, the insurance is only on my name and she lives in the same address but it's not declared (why would I?) When I spoked to the insurance lady she said what was my Mom doing driving my car if she's not in the policy? I told her; "The same thing that a buddy of mine does when I tell him to go get something from me to the store". She quickly went silent. Don't let insurance fool you, you can lend your car with permission to anyone with a licence, the insurance is for the vehicle, they have to cover it no matter who drives it.

I just had this problem. My Mom had a clash with the tires of a truck in a narrow Toronto street lane, the insurance is only on my name and she lives in the same address but it's not declared (why would I?) When I spoked to the insurance lady she said what was my Mom doing driving my car if she's not in the policy? I told her; "The same thing that a buddy of mine does when I tell him to go get something from me to the store". She quickly went silent. Don't let insurance fool you, you can lend your car with permission to anyone with a licence, the insurance is for the vehicle, they have to cover it no matter who drives it.

Nope - not how it works. Your insurer requires you to disclose anyone living in your household that is licensed to drive. There's an implied expectation that if there's another driver in your household without their own vehicle/insurance, they will be driving yours.

When binding your policy, this should have been explicitly asked/discussed.

If it's discovered that you have people regularly driving your vehicle without disclosing, that's material risk that wasn't represented - aka misrepresentation. That may possibly disqualify a claim.

If your son is principal on his own policy, you should be fine - however I'd run it by your own insurer. While insurance does follow the vehicle, liability does follow the driver - so your son would be covered for liability under their own policy.

Nope - not how it works. Your insurer requires you to disclose anyone living in your household that is licensed to drive. There's an implied expectation that if there's another driver in your household without their own vehicle/insurance, they will be driving yours.

When binding your policy, this should have been explicitly asked/discussed.

If it's discovered that you have people regularly driving your vehicle without disclosing, that's material risk that wasn't represented - aka misrepresentation. That may possibly disqualify a claim.
I meant anyone with a license not living in the same household. I certainly would not report tenants, that's none of their business.

How much more am I looking to pay more a month for an adult with an "M' licence on my policy?

How much more am I looking to pay more a month for an adult with an "M' licence?
Way too many variables for anyone to say without a proper quote; driver's age, license history/years licensed, claims, convictions, location, gender, and more go into calculating the premium.

Also "adult" can be anywhere from 18 to 80, so wildly broad range. As well, the difference between M2 and M barely make a difference at many insurers.

Short answer: no idea.

My daughter was an insurance agent and is now an underwriter.

Lots of stories about customers falsifying applications in terms of driving history, where they live, who does (or doesn't) live in the same household, failure to disclose vehicle modifications and on and on.

I hate insurance companies, just like everyone else, and I often tease her about her blood sucking company, but let's face it, many people deliberately lie and misrepresent things to insurance companies to get a lower premium.

It's all good until there is a claim, and then you're screwed when your insurance is cancelled for misrepresentation.

My daughter was an insurance agent and is now an underwriter.

Lots of stories about customers falsifying applications in terms of driving history, where they live, who does (or doesn't) live in the same household, failure to disclose vehicle modifications and on and on.

I hate insurance companies, just like everyone else, and I often tease her about her blood sucking company, but let's face it, many people deliberately lie and misrepresent things to insurance companies to get a lower premium.

It's all good until there is a claim, and then you're screwed when your insurance is cancelled for misrepresentation.
Yeah but insurance companies LIE, CHEAT and try to weasel their way out of payments too. These idiots get scammed big time by collision centers and towtruck drivers more than their customers.

Look at the racket going on: This is a real example as told by my cousin who works at a collision auto shop licenced by Desjardin to be their liasion;

A 2019 Rav-4 worth $22k was involved in an accident recently. It had a damaged side fender and the passenger front door wouldn't open, it was damaged and bent. They inform Desjardin that the car was a "write off". The collision autoshop tells Desjardins they'll buy the car and give them $2,500 for it. Then they invest another $2,500 to fix it and then they sell it for $19,000. Meanwhile Desjardins fights tooth-and-nail against their customer for the 2-week car rental and for injuries he got during the accident.

Back
Top Bottom