Is it too late in the season to restart? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Is it too late in the season to restart?

Vanessa

Hello.

I began my motorcycling journey but due to ankle injuries and then COVID, my M2 expired.

Do I need to start from scratch, even though I have been a driver for more than 40 years.? I thought so but I have heard rumblings that I may not. (Some post covid extension...)

Trying to get the information from MTO has been daunting.

Thanks.
V

Better late than never. :)
But, you'll most likely be starting over.

Iirc, you may be able to skip the 60 day waiting period before M2. I would plan on written m1 and course again.

Last edited:
I have the perfect bike for you to buy if you do..🤗

Oh, and it's never too late to restart. 🏍

Reactions: TK4
If you're planning on taking a course, you'd best be calling places sooner rather than later.

I'm not sure if post covid extensions are still applicable, but if it were not then you're probably looking at starting from M1 iirc irrespective of how many years of experience you got. If you have access to an insured bike, you can do M1X (M2) at a drive test instead of an institute but for insurance purposes it's always better to go through an institute. Good luck!

A license expired within the past 3 years doesn't have to wait the mandatory minimum time.

To clarify, if you had an M2 that expired under 3 years ago, you can do M1, M2, then M without delay.

Over 3 years since? You're waiting minimum 60 days (for m2), then 18/22 months for M (depending if you do the course).

You can skip the waiting periods if it expires, but you have a limited time to do so.
Mine expired twice before I finally took my M2 exit test. The second time they informed me that I could bypass the waiting periods. This was the end of August. I took my M1 test immediately and book my M1 exit. I decided to wait till spring to take my M2 exit only to find out that there was a time limit and I now had to wait the usual time before I could exit my M2. I was not happy about this lack of information.
Mind you, this was before the scamdemic, so they could have changed the rules. Best to call the MTO and ask.

A license expired within the past 3 years doesn't have to wait the mandatory minimum time.

To clarify, if you had an M2 that expired under 3 years ago, you can do M1, M2, then M without delay.

Over 3 years since? You're waiting minimum 60 days (for m2), then 18/22 months for M (depending if you do the course).
Are you sure of this? The experience I explained above was less than a year, and that happened around 2018.

Are you sure of this? The experience I explained above was less than a year, and that happened around 2018.
He is correct, you get credited for the waiting period for M1-M2.

I have not heard of M2-M period being waved for locals. Only immigrants who bother to prove a previous riding history back home and it's accepted by MTO.

I may be wrong about waiting period being waived for M2>M.

I do know for a fact that G2>G waiting period at least has been waived in the past. This possibly is still the case, unless it changed in the past decade or so.

I may be wrong about waiting period being waived for M2>M.

I do know for a fact that G2>G waiting period at least has been waived in the past. This possibly is still the case, unless it changed in the past decade or so.
>I do know for a fact that G2>G waiting period at least has been waived in the past. This possibly is still the case, unless it changed in the past decade or so.

Tell me more !

My license is expired (> 10 yrs) since ~2000

Was driving for ~40 years before that.

Keep procrastinating on getting the G1.

Now going to write the M1 instead (doesn't an M1 give me a G1 ?)

Would love to skip the redtape and be able to write the G / take the G roadtest.

Mike

Mike

Now going to write the M1 instead (doesn't an M1 give me a G1 ?)
A M1 will give you an M1 if you want a G1 you'll need to take the G1 test.
As far as I know no way around it, why would you let your license expire?

When you get an M2 or M, that allows you to drive cars as if you had a G1. It doesn't look like this applies during your M1.

So I suspect you can skip the written test for G1 but you still need to do two road tests in a cage to advance to full G. When writing your M1 or handing in M2 paperwork, ask at DriveTest and they will tell you for sure.

"Class M2
Level Two of graduated licensing for motorcycles, including motor tricycles, limited-speed motorcycles (motor scooters) and motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds). Holders may drive a motorcycle but only with a zero blood alcohol level. Holders may also drive a Class G vehicle under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence holder."

When you get an M2 or M, that allows you to drive cars as if you had a G1. It doesn't look like this applies during your M1.

So I suspect you can skip the written test for G1 but you still need to do two road tests in a cage to advance to full G. When writing your M1 or handing in M2 paperwork, ask at DriveTest and they will tell you for sure.

"Class M2
Level Two of graduated licensing for motorcycles, including motor tricycles, limited-speed motorcycles (motor scooters) and motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds). Holders may drive a motorcycle but only with a zero blood alcohol level. Holders may also drive a Class G vehicle under the conditions that apply to a Class G1 licence holder."
That is very interesting. so a M2 can act as a G1...
I never knew this, mind you it did not really pertain to my licensing.

Back
Top Bottom